Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Iowa puppy mill

Hi
My friend saw a Golden Doodle at a pet store in nj. The breeder is listed as Michelle kruse. I've been reading this blog and there seems to be a lot of issues with this family. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is she running a puppy mill?
Thanks for your input. Colleen

I just bought a Weimaraner puppy from a pet store this past Sunday in the town that my boyfriend works in. She was $1500 but I put half down and am financing the rest..The next day, a co-worker of his said that we should take her back asap because the store buys from puppy mills. As soon as he told me this, I researched the breeders name, Jake Kruse. All of Steve Kruse's horrible things came up as well as Jordan Kruse. Apparently it's a whole family.The pet store obviously denies this saying, "Jake owns a construction company, he's a registered breeder. There's no horrible puppy mill and our sales are final" Very quick to hang up.. I googled the address for Jake Kruse ( 1761 110th st, Salem,IA 52649) and a investigation of Jordan Kruse came up with a video and all.

This is not just an ironic thing with the same last name. Someone correct me if I'm terribly wrong.

We are noticing certain problems with our puppy and I think she needs more intense care than I can give her but I'm also worried if I return her that they'll put her down or end up in a worse situation like being sent back to Jake/Jordan Kruse

Any advise would be extremely helpful!

Sadly, this is a very familiar story. Heard it lots of times.
You got screwed.

Samantha
I just bought a Weimaraner puppy from a pet store this past Sunday in the town that my boyfriend works in. She was $1500 but I put half down and am financing the rest..The next day, a co-worker of his said that we should take her back asap because the store buys from puppy mills. As soon as he told me this, I researched the breeders name, Jake Kruse. All of Steve Kruse's horrible things came up as well as Jordan Kruse. Apparently it's a whole family.The pet store obviously denies this saying, "Jake owns a construction company, he's a registered breeder. There's no horrible puppy mill and our sales are final" Very quick to hang up.. I googled the address for Jake Kruse ( 1761 110th st, Salem,IA 52649) and a investigation of Jordan Kruse came up with a video and all.

This is not just an ironic thing with the same last name. Someone correct me if I'm terribly wrong.

We are noticing certain problems with our puppy and I think she needs more intense care than I can give her but I'm also worried if I return her that they'll put her down or end up in a worse situation like being sent back to Jake/Jordan Kruse

Any advise would be extremely helpful!

I am so sorry your puppy is ill. Have you taken her to a vet and gotten a complete check up done? This would be a first step. If she is ill, I would think you would have recourse with the pet store. Please get her in asap though...the longer you wait the tougher it would be to build a case.

I really wish the puppy buying public would understand that no reputable breeders sell puppies to pet stores..period. Pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills...licensed kennel? Yes, they have to be licensed by the state or FDA...that does not make them reputable. For the amount you paid for your puppy, you could have bought a lovely, well bred puppy from a reputable breeder with parents who have health clearances.

Folks that impulse buy at pet stores are the reason puppy mills are in business.

One more thing before I get off of my soap box...if you have to finance a puppy, perhaps you should not purchase it. These are not cars or refrigerators we are buying/selling. They are living, breathing animals that will hopefully be with us for the next 12-15 years. What happens when it gets sick, needs its routine vet work or needs to be neutered? What about food and puppy kindergarten?

I sincerely wish you the best with your new puppy and hope you accept the responsibility with this life you have taken on.

You can get your dog back. I did when faced with a similar situation. It might take a bit of work but it's possible. Try.

You can probably do right by the puppy AND get health problems taken care of according to the law in your state. It might be a good idea to let us know the state in which you bought the puppy. I am unclear about the things wrong with your puppy. What things are you noticing? It could just be that a puppy needs a lot of care, and a Weim is a lot of dog. If you really can't take care of the pup, you could contact Weimaraner rescue in your state and ask them to take her in to their program. That would be a better outcome for the puppy and your ability to sleep at night than taking her back. Most pet stores do NOT accept returns without a vet's written statement that the pup was not fit for sale. I, too, would be worried about what would happen to the puppy if you take her back.

Go to a rescue recommended by the National breed club or one in your area.

I live in/bought her in NJ. There's always someone home with her, so she gets a lot of attention and we have been taking her out for walks and what not every two hours. We noticed Monday that she slept all day, and when she was sleeping her whole body would shake. At first I figured maybe she's dreaming. A lot of things I reacted as "she's a puppy in a new environment." But later on that day she was playing with a toy and running around then suddenly dropped to the floor and shook for 2 seconds and then just laid there. I called and make the vet appointment with a different vet that wasn't recommended by the store. The vet said theres no way to know there that she's having seizures because she's awake but to keep an eye on her and monitor her. She has an ear infection, and I questioned the bare skin on her front left leg because I noticed her biting at it. The vet said it is due to the dewclaw being removed, and she tested if it bothered her and it did. I was concerned because the puppymill run by Jake Kruse and Jordan Kruse(who died a few years ago), was investigated and there is a video of Jordan Kruse stating “The less the vet does, the more money you’re gonna’ make. We do everything ourselves. On the Rotts and Weimeis we dock their tails, we take off their dew claws.”

seizures, was Re: Iowa puppy mill

Seizures can happen with the eyes wide open, and initially can be with the dog able to respond to commands to some extent. There are other neurologic issues in all dogs. Or she may be normal, and she just hurt herself playing, maybe with a sore mouth from teething, depending on her age. Pain can cause shaking.

Record any events like that with a Flip cam or cell phone or other recorder if it has video capabilities so that your vet can see what you see. (If you have had the pup fewer than 6 months, you have a lot of recourse in NJ.) Meanwhile, do not leave a collar on the pup in the crate in case she seizes there.

A "dog law" attorney came and spoke at Lab and other clubs in the past couple years. Her name is Lisa Curry and she may be a good resource. She will advocate for what is right for the puppy and you, I think. Her first consultation may be free. I have added a clickable link below at Website. Let us know what happens.

Just because a puppy is from a puppy mill doesn't mean it cannot be a good pet for you. There is a top agility sheltie in NJ (and the world) who came from a pet store. Granted, I would MUCH rather see someone get a dog from a careful breeder or from a rescue, either of whom should provide support for the owner and the pup for life, even if all that is needed is a cheering section admiring photos as the healthy, happy puppy grows up and goes through life. I love hearing from my past pups, both rescues and those whelped here. I have also owned a couple pet store "rejects" who grew into loving Labs, although their background was less than ideal, genetically and socially. One lived a long life with me.

BTW, if the pup is destined for an agility or competition career, I would much rather see it getting titled on a PAL than on AKC papers giving credit to the so-called breeder.

Hi -- I'm hoping you can help me connect the dots. I specifically purchased my dog from a pet store after they assured me that my dog was bred by a hobby breeder. It turns out that it was Michele Kruse. In my research, it appears as though her facility is directly across the street from Steve Kruse. Are they related? I know it's more likely than not, but I need solid proof to file a complaint against the pet store. Any and all help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

She runs a USDA-licensed facility. She probably considers it a hobby to make money off of mass producing and selling puppies. Not sure the term hobby breeder means anything. You should have asked how many litters a year they breed and if the parents have health clearances.

I haven't been on this forum for years but have to add a note of warning for anyone reading this in the future. DO NOT ever purchase a puppy from a pet store! Meet the breeder, see the facilities where puppy is raised. Ask for parents' health clearances. Ask for their vet phone number and see what their vet has to say about how they care for their puppies.

My husband suprised me with our boy Achilles about 2 years ago now, he is half American Bulldog and half English Bulldog. I was thrilled until he told me he bought him at Petland in Columbus, GA. I am definitely savy enough to know better. Well within 1 week of bringing him home, he almost died of Pneumonia, went from being happy to nearly dead overnight. We rushed him to the emergency vet, after hearing he came from Petland the vet ordered every test she could think of on him. X-Rays showed his lungs full of fluid. Bloodwork showed his white blood cell count was through the roof, his immune system as a whole was weak, and his liver and kidney function was down. The full toxicology screen showed he had been pumped full of so many meds to make him appear healthy, the vet was shocked his kidneys hadn't failed or that he didn't overdose. Needless to say after thousands in vet bills and him traveling between a nebulizer and oxygen tank he recovered. I strongarmed Petland into reimbursing me for most of the vet bills thank you god. I've been periodically looking up this asshole Steve Kruse since then. How in gods name is he still in business, with all the complaints, evidence of torture, and violations he has been cited for? Also i have found the whole family is in the business of torturing and selling animals and all of them have stacks of evidence against them. My baby also has Demodectic Mange, has had issues with separation anxiety, and has had issues with loud noises since we brought him home. He is an awesome dog, I just wish I could get all of those poor babies away from that horrible family.

Petland

I bought my chocolate lab 2years ago from Pet land and she's great. I believe a lot of these stories are fabricated from other breeders who cannot or won't sell to pet stores when they should. They make up stories to eliminate competition. I went with my heart to love 😍 my puppy. Go with your heart ♥

Petland

I bought my chocolate lab 2years ago from Pet land and she's great. I believe a lot of these stories are fabricated from other breeders who cannot or won't sell to pet stores when they should. They make up stories to eliminate competition. I went with my heart to love 😍 my puppy. Go with your heart ♥
Any thoughts?

Jake Krause

I also bought a puppy 2years ago from this breeder at Pet land. It was the best investment for me in this time in my life. She still acts like a puppy, but she is the best chocolate labrador I ever owned. Thank you Jake Kruse