Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raising sisters

I've never kept 2 females from the same litter until last June. The sisters are 16 months old now. They squabble loudly all the time. Even though I've been breeding for more than 12 years, I cannot tell if it's all play or turning to real argumentation. They quit as soon as I tell them to 'knock it off!', their recall is great even if they are 'fighting' several yards away, they'll stop and come right to me as soon as I call them. Should I be concerned? Could it eventually turn to a real 'fight'? Is this common with raising 2 from the same litter???

Re: Raising sisters

Time will tell. I had 2 sisters that did not get along and had to place one. I have had multiple litter sisters that were good friends. I had 2 girls from different litters that literally hated each other. One was clearly the aggressor. I placed the aggressor with blunt written warnings in the contract. She is now 12 years old and never had any problems.

Bottom line, some dogs simply do not get along. If your dogs ever get in a real fight, you will definitely want to place one. I feel that dogs should not have to live with another dog they dislike. It must be awful for them.

Re: Raising sisters

Thanks, Joan. I fully agree about not living with another dog which hates them or visa versa. I placed two unrelated girls 9 years ago due to extreme mutual dislike. One attacked the other but the 2nd one had always had her head over the other's neck. I didn't know as much then. We'll wait these sisters out, some of my family think it all looks like playing as they often stop with pauses and do listen to humans in the thick of things. They just get soooo loud with vocalizing! I did watch closer today, tails are relaxed and hair is up only on the neck, not all the way down.

One played too aggressively with me yesterday, leaving bruises after she mouthed my arms as I goofed around with the pack throwing things to retrieve, etc. I think the sisters need a bit of training, most of my dogs are obedience or rally titled by this age, they both have CGC's and will start conformation next month. I just love them both, so quiet and relaxed when inside, really nice conformation. I'd hate to have to rehome one!