Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 10 day old with white stool

I currently have a 7 day old Golden Retriever puppy who is producing an off-white liquidy/pasty stool and is very weak, lethargic, and is breathing quite faint. Earlier in the day he seemed fine. He was a bit more vocal than the other pups, he would whine and growl-moan for some time but I didn't think anything of it; just thought he was being vocal. When I came home from work I noticed his behavior had changed and he is now acting weak and does not seem like he's doing very well at all. It's late at night here and don't have much that I can do till morning. He felt a little cold, so I placed him on a heating pad and filled some syringes with water in an attempt to get/keep him hydrated. He is a big puppy in comparison to some of the other ones and looks healthy, I do know that when he is touched in his chest region he yipes considerably and am wondering if the mother didn't step or roll over on him and did some damage internally. Please pray for my little guy I don't know what else I can do in the time being while I wait till morning. :/

Biliary Atresia. Had a case 3 years ago- three vets guessed at other stuff- came up with all kinds of reasons- all wrong. No bile is being pushed because the duct has not matured. By three weeks, the pup will either have bile or not. If the stool turns brown by then, I would still do a liver panel before placing the pup.

The pup is from a litter of 6. All other pups are fine. The vet had me put her on pedialite and graduate to Veta-lac as her stool improves. Will have a liver panel done before placement though. Good idea!

How is the pup doing?

I am so glad I found this. I have a 10 day old puppy that has not been keeping up with his sibs. His stool started out lime green and dry, then today it is yellow, waxy and dry. We were going to do a fecal on it but it won't dissolve. I did feed him some formula (home made, recipe from fb)and goat milk, cut and smashed a digestive enzyme tablet(gave him about a 1/4 of the tab) and melted in in 1cc of water. I am taking him to the vet in the morning but I am hoping that his stool is better. After his feeding his stool was yellow but but still dry. I will start some Pedialyte but not sure how much to give him. He is strong, vigorous, active sleep, content, huddles with mates. I had been giving him special time with mom but now I think it was the wrong thing to do. Will be giving him formula for some days until he is better. Maybe I can get some enzymes in drop form from the vet. Thanks love this forum