Return to Website

Christian Sisters' Message and Prayer Request Board

Welcome to the Christian Sisters' Message Board. It is an enjoyable way to encourage and communicate with one another. Please tell your friends about the board and about http://www.christianmirror.com.

Christian Sisters' Message and Prayer Request Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: onion-free recipes???

Go to cathymessecar.com and see her recipe for dumplings - it's good. I've been making dumplings for years but I changed to her recipe.

I'm typing with a little hiccupy girl in my lap. I am so loving having a baby in the house.

Re: onion-free recipes??? (chicken and dumplings)

You ladies are welcome to come anytime. Just give me a call a little in advance so I can clear a path.

I looked at Cathy's recipes. She has some yummy-sounding ones! My dumpling recipe is different, so I'll type it in here. Hers looks to be faster. Mine are a more northern version with no leavening--kind of a cross between southern dumplings and German noodles. They stick together very well if you don't over-stir them.

Rolled Dumplings
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. canola or other vegetable oil
1 egg

Combine flour and salt. In separate container, combine and stir together milk, oil and egg. Add liquids to dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly--enough so that dough isn't too sticky. Roll out thinly (about 1/8 inch thick). At this point, I cut the dumplings into long strips about an inch wide with a pizza cutter, but you can use a knife. (You can also go ahead and cut the dumpling crosswise, making one-inch squares, but I prefer to leave them in strips, and pinch them off as I drop them in. That works faster for me.) Let dumplings dry on counter for at least 45 minutes before cooking. Heat chicken broth to boiling.

Drop dumplings a few at a time into boiling broth. After all dumplings are in and broth is boiling again, lower heat to simmer, cover with very tight lid and cook 30 to 45 minutes. You should use enough broth that you don't have to stir during cooking. If you do stir them, make it very gentle.

For my family of four, I usually double the recipe. If I take them to a potluck, I quadruple it and use a big soup pot.

Enjoy!
Donna