Return to Website

Christian Sisters' Message and Prayer Request Board

Welcome to the Christian Sisters' Message Board. It is an enjoyable way to encourage and communicate with one another. Please tell your friends about the board and about http://www.christianmirror.com.

Christian Sisters' Message and Prayer Request Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
should we tell non christians god won't hear there prayers

I have been told many times that god does not hear a sinners prayer how can we tell people this? please help me with this. if this is true what should we say to them.

Re: should we tell non christians god won't hear there prayers

That is a good question. Not only that how do we try to tell someone the truth. I am taking care of a resident whos niece is the womens president for the church of god. She is one of the sweetest women I have ever met. It is hard for me to believe that she will not go to heaven. Of course it is not OUR place to judge but Gods but still how do you deal with things like that?

Please do not tell a person their prayers are not heard. By praying they are coming closer to God and may very well be on the very beginning of the path that leads to salvation.

God says that a sinner's (unbaptized non-believer) prayers go unheard. BUT only He knows their heart and whether it will eventually become softened and accept Him. So that person may not be an unbeliever in His eyes.

We are not called to condemn people, but are called to share our faith. Praying with a non-believer or encouraging them to pray is a great way to share our faith. Consider this; Jesus was kind and gentle to non-Jews. The only people he openly condemned were the corrupt leaders of the church. Our God is a god of encouragement, not discouragement.

How do you "teach" the truth without "telling" the truth? How do you win a soul back to Christ without rebuking him? Just like the idea in the difference of correction and punishment. Correction and condemning is the same. We are to correct or rebuke that which is obvious consistent error. Not with the attitude of condemnation but to bring them out of their error. Even as Christ told the woman caught in the
act of adultry.... do not condemn but inspire them to go their way and sin no more. But we also do not rebuke them to the point of discouragement lest they be swallowed up in their sorrow. We must learn to be forgiving if we expect to be forgiven. Be instant in season and out of season! Use every opertunity with reasoning. Either their heart will be with God or against Him. All we can do is try to win them to God's will.
1Tim 5:20; 2 Tim 4: 2-3; Tit 1 : 10-13

Leah is right that God said the sinners prayer is not heard, but I can't locate the verse. And it is certainly proper to pray "with them" and "for them". But also, that is not to say that ALL prayers of the sinners is not "heard". Remember Cornelius - Acts 10:31 who sought God diligently, and offered alms.

To "hear" is not to "listen to" always. As in Acts 23: 35 Jesus' pleas would be patiently listened to but it is a different word used (only once in the NT) other than what is normally used. Then there is another use in 1 Cor 14:21 (used only once in the NT) concerning the speaking in tongues where it is said that "they will not hear me" 1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 1Co 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Even scholars can miss the "understanding and discernment" sometimes. Men who are devoted to "science" rather than God, in particular. The man of the world discerns worldly things, but the spiritual man discerns spiritual things. Heb. 5:13-14. If one lacks wisdom, then let him ask of God who givith willingly and upbraideth not. James 1:5.

I am not a bible scholar... but I am aware of a verse that states that God does not listen to sinners (John 9:31), but I would caution anyone using this verse (if this is the verse any are thinking of) that it is a man's statement that is recorded and not God speaking.

The verse states "We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does his will, He hears him." John 9:31

This was the man who was born blind that Jesus healed and then was called to give an account to the Sanhedrin.

Also, in Matthew 7:7-8 Jesus says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."

Please understand that I'm just trying to remind us all to take the verses in context... and so not to misuse scripture. If you have any other verses that pertain to this, please share with me.

Thanks!

My dear sister,
thanks so much for your input i believe we need to study this more there our some in my home congregation that feel that god will not hear a sinners prayer i have always thought about cornilus please help me so i may exsplain this in a loving way
my children our not christians, and my daughter mia that just had the baby she prays but i don't want anyone in the church to say to her when she visits that god did'nt hear her prayers. i'm still trying to teach her the truth of gods word.

Thank you all for praying for nyla she' still in the hospital she was moved from new york to new jersey closer for us to visit with her. she will have another surgery to correct malrotation of the intestines, she is breathing on her own with out oxygen, or the ventilater god has been so good!!

i will keep you all in prayer

love your sister in christ stephanie,

That's a great question. I'll share my experience and some things I've studied & pray it'll help. Literally, one of the things that touched my heart the most when someone was studying with me about being a Christian, was when they pointed out that I could be separated from God eternally.....that my dwelling in sin was not pleasing to Him...and God could not be a part of that. The passage they shared was
Isaiah 59
1Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
2But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

But they shared it in such a way that they let me KNOW that if I would truly seek after God.....He was right there and lovingly and eagerly waiting for me! In Acts 17:27 it seems the scriptures make that clear, that He is there and waiting for all of us... "27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he benot far from every one of us."

So yes, my sins separated me.....but God was literally in pursuit of me....just waiting for me to turn unto Him. And shared the Good News of Jesus Christ, that God so loved the world He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.!

So yes my sins separated me from God, but In Jesus Christ, I would be saved! Praise God! And in Psalm 145:18, the bible says, "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth."

So even for the Non Christians, it appears that God is aware of their circumstances, and will respond to them when they seek him in truth. Cornelius in Acts 10 is a good example as he was praying and seeking God, and immediately God sent Peter to deliver the message of Jesus Christ unto him and his household. Also, James 4:8 says "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." He wants us to draw nigh to Him, and be willing to give our lives to Him.

So, should we tell Non-Christians God won't here their prayers? God hears and responds to the repentent heart who honestly seeks Him. And to them we should tell them that though sin separates, the Good News is that Jesus Saves!

Alrayna, I am so glad you added Acts 10. Verse 31 says Peter told Cornelius his prayers had been heard. Who am I to say God only hears certain prayers. IT is certain, He hears the prayers of His children. And it is certain He heard Cornelius. Our hearts and attitude have a lot to do with our prayers being heard.