Return to Website

McCurdy Plantation Horse Registry and Association

The purpose of the Registry (est. 1993) and the Association (est. 1995) is to preserve the McCurdy horse historic bloodline as a distinct breed, promote their use & enjoyment, and enhance the knowledge and appreciation of the McCurdy Horse as a treasured legacy of the Old South.  

Forum: McCurdy Plantation Horse Registry and Association
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Competing on McCurdys

I'm just wondering how many people compete on McCurdys and in what venu.

Re: Competing on McCurdys

here in the NW we're just getting the McCurdy's going in endurance riding, and they've proven to be exceptional athletes! I come from a background in arabians, and switched to walkers 5 years ago. LOVE my walker gelding, but there was just a little "something" missing personality wise and drive wise. The McCurdy's to me have that missing link, and I'm HOOKED! I think we'll have some great stories to report from the endurance trail, our season is over for the year here in the NW, just too much rain/snow to travel and compete, but McCurdy's Glory is now in Texas in an endurance home, so we can watch her progress, I just know she's going to do really really well! June and I have young fillies that will start next year, we'll be a matched set on our lovely gray girls

Here's a photo taken last week, Elayne on Brego (TWH) McCurdy's Neat Trick with me in the middle, June Snook on Helles Belles on the right

Photobucket

Two of my students are excited about jumping, so we may end up taking Bonnie (McCurdy's Neat Trick) to some schooling/fun shows for them to play with, don't have any pictures over jumps yet (camera is too slow) but she's VERY talented and a cute jumper

Photobucket

uh, more photos, just because.....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Isn't she PURTY??????

WOW, Brenda, what great photos!

I wonder if anyone else has some stories about their McCurdys??

I know that Pixie is at a field trial today riding her McCurdy gelding, Rebel.
She is scouting on him. Hopefully, she will have some stories to tell us when she gets back?

Are there other McCurdy owners that have used their horses for field trials?
I remember that my aged mare, Good Golly Miss Molly of Dunrovin was used as a field trial horse for years.....

Oh boy, I hope some other people start posting photos too! Where IS everyone?

I took these today, sorry they're so terrible, and keep in mind this is just a 3 yr old filly, but she thinks this stuff if FUN!

Photobucket

Email  

Photobucket

Email  

Great pictures, Brenda! I love your newest ones... too fun. I haven't learned to jump yet but hope to at some point.

I was hoping more people would come post, too? Matt said he did a mass mailing to association members who he had e-mail addresses for so maybe some will come by soon.

I am hoping 2009 is a time for me to do more competing. My trainer was working with me today on dressage. I never knew how hard it is to ride a straight line... or a circle??!! Dern.

Keep sharing your pictures!!! They keep me excited getting to see what others are doing. Just wish we all lived closer so we could support each other in real time!

Colleen Cates, in Texas, is competing on her McCurdy gelding this coming weekend at an endurance ride....25 miles! Can't wait to hear how she does and get photos to post!

GOOD LUCK, Colleen!!

All right Colleen!!!! Endurance riding is really addictive, have a great time! Wonder if Eron and Glory will be at the same ride?

Email  

Whoooooooo! GO, COLLEEN! Come tell us all about it when you return and, yes, please post some pictures!!!

Carmen Diego McCurdy attended a Civil War re-enactment in Hempstead, Texas this weekend. This was her and Phillip's first! They rode in the Cav, short for Cavalry. As you can imagine, it requires precision riding under intense circumstances, i.e. canons firing, troop movements, heavy gunfire, maneuvering around wounded or dead soldiers, the list goes on. I can not think of a more intense riding situation than one of these. Needless to say, you and your mount should function as one. Well Phillip and Carmen did! As a matter of fact they entered the Cavalry competition and just about walked away with first! This competition requires riders to run their mount up to wagons, pick up supplies, run back to the start . . . un-saddle and re-saddle their mount and run to a finish line, pick items off of the ground in a full run (from the saddle) just to name a few. I am so proud of my girl . . . and Phillip too!

I will share some pics. My husband took the pictures so there are not any of the intense gun-fire as he drives a wagon (serving as an ambulance). Phillip said he had many MANY people want to take Carmen home with them. Yep. That is a McCurdy for you! Carmen will be four in March. She has been under saddle since March 08.

Nov 08A 010

Nov 08A 006

She really stands out in a crowd. Phillip told people he stole the Generals horse ) She is THAT pretty!

Nov 08A 016

Nov 08A 026

Nov 08A 035

Nov 08A 021
This is just to let you see what kind of artillary is at the re-enactment. This is just a small sample.

So there you go, another way to compete on McCurdys!

Email  

Glenna, thanks for sending the wonderful pictures of Chablis!

She looks just like "Traveler" ! General Lee's horse! Amazing!

Keep sending more photos!

Matt, can you put some photos of your stallions on the message board for all of us to see?

Good girl Carmen! She is beautiful, and what a great job you've done training her! That sounds like quite an event, I know there's a group here that does reenactments too, I need to go watch sometime. I do believe that if I tried to pick something up from the ground from my horse I'd just end up landing on my head.

Email  

Here are a few pictures of my stallion, McCurdy's Masterpiece...PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pretty dern nice, Matt! He reminder me of my Ace that I endurance one! I wonder if they are related? Ace is by Lethohatchee's Legend and out of McCurdy's Confederate Jasmine.

Do you have another younger stallion coming on as well?

June

Well thanks June, he is a great stallion...he has an great natural gait. These pictures don't do him justice, he is very impressive to see in person so I hope you get a chance to come to the spring ride and see him in person.
Yes we have a 22 month old blue roan/grey that we acquired recently that is absolutly wonderful. I don't have any picture of him yet but I do have a video that I will e-mail to you. He is the smoothest gaited horse that I have ever sat on and he will be about the same color of Cajun at maturity and about that size as well so I am very excited about him.

Funny you should mention Confederate Jasmine, that is Ms. Carmen's mom!

After reading the posting, I thought I should clarify that Phillip did not pick up anything off of the ground at a full run, we are not quite there, but he did do several of the other things. If it were me, I would need a miniature and would probably still fall on my face

Y'all have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Email  

Right, Glenna! Jasmine is a wonderful mare! The horse that Colleen is riding above next to "Legacy of the Old South" IS Jasmine! (I took the video and the photos!)

June

He's a beaut, Matt! I'd love to see your other young stallion, too. I love gawking at these horses!!!

I'd love to get a discussion going about bloodlines, too. There is still a lot I don't know about the history and old bloodlines. Really would love to learn more.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains