Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
500 series crate help

I am having a problem finding a heavy built strong crate in a 500 series for shipping.

Orscheln has the crates, but they have doors on the side.

Any recommendations or advise?

Thanks

Re: 500 series crate help

Hi,
I suggest you do an online search for "Varikennel 500 series". There are several vendors selling this crate online, some are discounted , some offer free shipping.
Good luck with your search.

I've ordered online from Care A Lot.

If you live near a major airport hub, try Delta Airlines cargo. I buy the Sky-Kennel from them when I need a 500 crate for shipping. It has the door that locks across as well as at the top and bottom.

Walmart or Tractor Supply

Petco has them in stock.

Google
Hi,
I suggest you do an online search for "Varikennel 500 series". There are several vendors selling this crate online, some are discounted , some offer free shipping.
Good luck with your search.

I did that several hours last night, and still no success.

this has not been a problem for me in the past.

my husband even stopped at Petco in Jonesboro, and they did not have any.

Well, if you can't find them locally I wouldn't suggest having one shipped to you - tried that recently and both crates arrived cracked and damaged from being thrown around during shipping. The airlines usually keep crates on hand - might have to go that route if you can't call around to other stores to see if anyone has them on hand locally.

Midwest Breeder
Petco has them in stock.

Petco charges ridiculous prices for Vari-Kennel look-a-likes. Usually they have a small supply so call ahead of time. Disinfect it when you get home. Most of them have been on the shelf or in the back for a long time. Make sure the door works before you leave with it.

Maybe you can find a vendor like JB-Pet or Entirely-Pets to ship it in 2 days or if you can afford overnight. Make sure they have it in stock but most of them usually do.

No-one local to you has a 500 you can borrow?

BTW, Delta also has the best prices. They buy direct from Doskacil in TX and distribute on their own planes. I have bought #500 Sky-Kennels from them 4 times in the last few years and paid less than $100 each for them.

Oldtimer
BTW, Delta also has the best prices. They buy direct from Doskacil in TX and distribute on their own planes. I have bought #500 Sky-Kennels from them 4 times in the last few years and paid less than $100 each for them.

Isn't that only if the dog is flying Delta?

Oldtimer

Isn't it *Doskocil* not Doskacil in Tx.? Or do I have them mixed up?

Oops.... typo. Or is it ytpo

Delta does not have a direct flight from MEM to DEN that will take a 500 series crate. They told me so today when I called them. And I am not wanting to connect my dog to Minneapolis or Atlanta before arriveing in DEN.

i have a fairly new Remington 500 series crate, but the door is hard to close. I think it is a piece of junk compared to one I got about 15 years ago, which still looks & works great. It is green camo, and I am not wanting to part with it. And, we have a 500 petmate crate, One of my boys chewed on the outside corners--(female in the crate was in heat)

Thank you for the info, and I will check out the links to the crates.

I purchased the crates from Delta. I flew the dogs with me on Frontier. They hub in Denver, so should have some good flights from a number of cities.

http://www.wire-dog-crates.com/extra-large-dog-crate.htm#DO00100

Scroll down to Sky Kennel Extra Large Dog Crates. They look pretty nice, and are International and domestic airline approved for travel, and IATA approved. Includes food and water cup and "Live Animal" sticker.
The 500 size is $115.95 I added shipping and it was only $157.90 shipped, even cheaper (per crate) if you buy 2!
@220.95 for a 2 pack, plus shipping of course.