Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Service dogs?

I looked at the ADI list and this Organization wasn't there. The list could be old. The website was large with a lot of pages and looked legitimate.

If the Guide dogs or Diabetic dogs had asked me I wouldn't have blinked and eye. This Org really made me think about what that dogs life would be like.

All disabilities are stressful and a loving Labrador would be good for many families or the other children in a family.

It is only because we have had interaction with this disability in our family and know first hand the amount of stress in the family this causes. I was raised in a family with a severely disabled brother at home. My dog was my closest friend and she loved me, played with me, slept with me, knew all of my secrets and was always there for me while everything crumbled around me.

Well, I can't in good conscience let a puppy go into this type of situation, others disabilities yes.

This is a different issue from the one you brought up in your first post. Your concern in that post seemed to be how many home situations the puppy would go through. I reiterate that I don't consider that to be a problem. You were told to be concerned about the credentials of the organization, which is a legitimate concern. Apparently you've checked up on that and not been satisfied with what you found out. Now you are expressing concern about the situation in the service home itself. You don't say what type of service dog is trained by this organization, just that it causes stress in the family. My puppies have all been trained to assist people with physical handicaps - I don't see that as particularly stressful for a dog. Apparently this organization provides assistance dogs for some other condition. Your personal experience might be valuable to people who donate puppies to similar organizations in guiding their choice of whether to donate or not.

Maybe I'm way off the mark here, but I get the impression that the service dig representative made you feel guilty and that you are looking for justification for your refusal to donate. You have no control over the home that a puppy you donate will go to. The fact that you were made to feel this way would have my internal warning signals going right there. Don't feel bad about your decision. I think you have some good reasons to refuse this donation, but the original one you gave is not one of them.

I've seen a disabled man in our area with a Labrador service dog. I abhor the way he treats his dog; they don't all have the best life of cherished, adored helpmates. I've seen him kick at his dog and speak very harshly to it, yanking it around.

Sometimes it's not the organization that makes a person take pause, it's the person who eventually ends up with the dog.

I try to place one puppy from a litter with a Service Organization. I have met these people and others that donate their pups and time for the service. I get regular posts letting me know how the pups are doing and when their real training will begin. These people work tirelessly to make sure the right dogs go to the right person. They are in the process of beginning their own breeding program for intelligence, willingness, adaptability and the ability to be calm. They want to try to have some quality dogs with some height since some of the clients are tall. They want all donated dogs to have every genetic test done in that breed before accepting any adult into there breeding program This way they have more control over what kind of puppies they are putting into homes. They can't possibly breed every dog to raise from their program so they still need puppy donations to insure they have enough dogs for clients. I really doubt reliable organizations don't check on the care and treatment of the dogs they have placed for service work. I love that not only the blind, ill, autistic children are helped but our wounded soldiers heal and become productive fathers and mothers, wives and husbands and providers. Dogs heal and there are so many that need that healing. It is not a negative experience if you are with the right agency. Just make sure it is on the up and up. The one we donate to are so excited to get each new puppy to begin its journey to bring joy to a child, support to a disabled adult, laughs to the families and hope for them all

You are all right and maybe I am wrong about this. I would donate a dog to a different service organization though I am worried about the different homes they go to in their lives. I see service dogs around town and at the doctors office and they are well taken care of and loved. Dogs do heal people.

The service organization is for Autism. They tether the child to the dog and the parent is supposed to have a leash on the dog. The dog is to hold the child if they take off. A Lab isn't that big to take that kind of strain on it's body.

That said, I talked to my daughter who has an Autistic child and she didn't think that tethering the child to the dog was good. I have a niece with an Autistic child that would harm a dog. Some children have this so bad they harm themselves.

Please be aware that, unfortunately, not every autisic child, PTSD affected veteran or disabled person is a candidate for a service dog. At our agency we strive to serve the client but always with the service dog's safety in mind. An agency that allows a dog to be tethered to an autistic child needs to be investigated. That is not safe for the child or the dog.

I work at a famous theme park and I see service dogs everyday. The dogs I see are NOT happy dogs. They are dirty, tired and not enjoying life. Every time I see one I think of the horse taxis in the Bahamas that show all bones and stand all day. Their intent is to assist in simple tasks but end up being pulling machines. A lab can pull but not 150-200 lbs all day everyday. They are to assist not do it all. This is not just a few dogs but I see 10-12 in a day. The happy ones are the dogs that are just wearing the vest so they are not in a kennel all day!!

Donating puppies to service organizations is not for everyone, me included. If you donate a female they can choose to use it as a breeder. Ask how many litters a breeding bitch is expected to produce. I didn't like the answer and it's not the life I want for one of my puppies.

I also know of someone who is legally blind that received a service dog from Leader Dogs for the Blind. She let her young grandchildren roughhouse and tease the dog. One day the dog snapped at one of the children. LD took the young dog back, retired it and gave her another. She never went out in public with the dog she just wanted it because she was "entitled to get a trained dog" (for free). What a waste.