Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Northeast shows to see labs to buy pup

Can anyone tell me when and where there are upcoming shows in the Northeast that we can go to see labs so that we can see parents and decide on which breeder we would like to buy a family pup from. We really would like to see the parents before we choose a breeder and thought a show would be a good place to see many at once. Thanks

Re: Northeast shows to see labs to buy pup

Where do you live, and how far will you travel?

go to www.infodog.com click on show calendar and you can sort by state. That will give you locations and dates of shows in the area you are willing to travel to.

There's a supported entry coming up on 4/24 in Edison NJ... Should be a pretty good entry there. The only thing I would note is that often if someone is expecting or has puppies, they won't be attending the show. But I do highly recommend spending time talking with many breeders and looking at many dogs before making decisions.

Good luck!

There are also shows next Saturday and Sunday in Fitchburg Mass - Large entries for the labs...

Re: Re: Northeast shows to see labs to buy pup

here is another on in mass in a couple months
May 11, 2007
Show Location: Westfield Fairgrounds - Westfield, MA

May 12, 2007
Show Location: Westfield Fairgrounds - Westfield, MA

i am going to see if i can change up my work days to get next sat off to go to fitchburg.
adam

Re: Re: Re: Northeast shows to see labs to buy pup

is fitchburg on the 10or the 17.
adam

The supported entry at the N.J. Covention & Expo Center in Edison, NJ, is March 24, 2007, not April 24, 2007.

Adam, you can also go to mjlrc web site who is supporting the edison shows on the 23 and 24th of March( just the one day)but the same dogs will be there. also you will find on the site of a match show which is a great place to start looking for a pup.
They have alot of pups and great breeders to chat with
It is a more relaxed atmosphere and a breeder will be more able to answer questions for you and you get to see a lot of pups!

which day would be better to see dogs at Fitchburg this weekend - Sat. or sunday, which would give you more time to meet the dogs and owners not just see them in the show? Thanks

Re: Re: Northeast shows to see labs to buy pup mjlrc match?

Calabrialabs, I tried to find the match show. That would be perfect, but I can't find it. Can you tell me how?

It is in New Jersey. You need to go to Mid Jersey Lrc web site and click on upcoming events, It usually end of march or 1st week in April. www.mjlrc.org. you can e-mail me privatly, If you need more help with it,

Probably Saturday would be better, as everyone will be sticking around for the show the next day. On Sunday, people will start to leave as soon as they are done showing.

It's Sunday, April 1st and I've been told Sharon Celentano from Shar-Jam Labradors is judging.

Thanks Karen ! Couldnt open up mjlrc website for upcoming events. Wade..( Sorry Ive been calling you Adam) Im sure she"ll bring a nice Entry. Sharon has really nice dogs and a good breeder/ practices. She is well respected in the lab community. She is also the President of Jersey Skylands lrc. Her Kennel Name is SharJam Labradors.
Email: calabr1a@aol.com

nj is a little far for me to travel at the moment. the jeep isn't acting right; has some electrical probs going on. but i am def. going to hit up fitchburge next weekend. anybody here going to that show with their dogs?
sorry wade for hj your thread.
adam

I'll be there with 3 bitches.Oh.....and my labs, too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Northeast shows to see labs to buy pup

adam

Re: Calabria Labradors - New Jersey, Does anyone know?

Does anyone know how to find the former owner of Calabria Labradors from New Jersey? Or perhaps know if she sold her breeding dogs to another business? I would really like to purchase a dog from the bloodlines.

jdstrasz@aol.com

check out the link for the MJLRC match
http://mjlrc.org/2013_Match_Flyer.pdf

It's on Saturday this year, the Sunday is Easter Sunday, so it was moved up a day.
Hope to see you all there!

Re: Finding A Good Lab puppy

The Mid Jersey Labrador club is holding our annual spring match on Saturday, March 30th in Flemington NJ. As Sarita mentioned, information and directions to our match can be found on the club's website page
http://mjlrc.org/events.html under FLYERS/ENTRIES.

Sometimes you will see parents and their puppies at shows or matches but that is not the norm. You will see the type and quality of labradors breeders have if they are showing at that particular show. Use the events to talk to the breeders about their labradors and their breeding practices.

If you are looking for a breeder in the area you will have quite a few good ones to choose from. Best of luck, If you cant make the New Brunswick shows the Mid Jersey Club match is a great alternative. It is usually well attened, much more relaxed and low key and you can meet quite a few good breeders there.

The Potomac is coming up soon. It's located in Frederick, MD. Although pups under 6 mo. shouldn't be at a show they can't be entered at I see many in xpens at shows, especially Potomac.

It's the largest specialty anywhere. You would see more Labradors there then all the other shows in combination. Drive to MD, it's worth it if you feel you can and haven't found a pup by April 9-13. The 9th is a B match and the 10-13 is the actual 4 day show.

Go to infodog.com or lrcp.com for more information.

Caution. It is against AKC rules to sell a puppy at an AKC event.

I don't think anyone mentioned selling puppies, just good venues to meet breeders and hopefully see dogs that represent the style they breed. I always tell people to try to catch a larger show, specialty or specialty match, but I do tell them people can be busy "showing" so be prepared to wait to talk to them.