Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swimming Pools

Although I would prefer a Gunite or fiberglass pool, my budget(my wife)will only allow us to look at a in ground liner pool. The question for those who own one, would be how has having Labs affected your pool? Have you experienced the liner getting tears or holes from their nails?

Re: Swimming Pools

Michael -- We have an 18 x 36 inground with a liner. The steps are molded plastic and this seems to be their favorite hangout. It was installed 10 years ago and we've been very happy, no rips or tears. The liner has to be replaced this year because it's pulling away from the lip in a few spots. I've found when I toss bumpers to them to lead them away from the sides and back to the steps. Guess it worked because that's usually what they do -- go out for a swim and then return to the steps. Good luck -- our neighbors call our pool "Pierce's Doggie Spa" :)

You could put in 2 sets of steps, one at each end of the pool, for the dogs to help avoid them gravitating to the sides of the pool to get out.

Although, our dogs went up the ladder as well.

I have an above the ground pool and I have trained my boy to stay away from the sides and it's worked nicely. I do have to change the sand in the filter yearly because of all of the extra hair, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Re: Re: Swimming Pools

Dani,

How have you set things up for the dogs to get up into the pool?

Johanne

We have an above ground pool and taugh my girl to climb the ladder to get out. She would live in there if I let her.

Michael
Although I would prefer a Gunite or fiberglass pool, my budget(my wife)will only allow us to look at a in ground liner pool. The question for those who own one, would be how has having Labs affected your pool? Have you experienced the liner getting tears or holes from their nails?
I don't own a dog but my sister does she says she has no problems. She is actually searching for some new above ground pools memphis area. She loves to let her dog get in the pool.