Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

Does anyone know how to prepare a dosage of 1/2 ml or 25mg of Amoxi using a 500 mg Amoxicillin Capsule ?

This is for a 2 week old litter of puppies who have caught a cold. They are on amoxi drops now but the one bottle is not going to be enough. I'll order some more amoxi drops but I am wondering if it is possible to prepare the correct dosage for a 5 pound puppy which is now 1/2 ml or 25 mg 2 times a day using the amoxi drops.

No flames please, just want to know if it can be done by experienced breeders or vets, otherwise, I will put a rush on a couple more bottles of the amoxi drops. Just thought since I have this big bottle of 500 mg, I could break it down for a puppy dosage.

Re: Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

Sometimes if I am out of Amoxi-drops and I need to dose a litter, I will open up a capsule and mix it with a small amount of plain yogurt. I mix it well and then divide it into equal portions for each puppy.
The problem you have is that even if you had 10 puppies in a litter, you only would need a 250 mg. cap/per dose,(25 mg. per pup x 10).
If it were me, I would call your vet and see if you can get more amoxi-drops. That is the safest way to dose your litter.

Re: Re: Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

Yes, I think you are right. The problem is in the 500 mg and my smaller litter and I don't want to overdose.Thanks for your advise

The proper dose is 5 mg per puppy pound but there is a large safety zone, 5-10 mg per pound. We use capsules and weigh one mid size puppy, multiply that weight times the number of puppies to get total mg's.
Then take the number of capsules required and split one to even it out. We then take yogurt, mix a bit of water in to thin it down, heat it up in the microwave to a fairly thick liquid consistency. Take a syringe and put 1.5 cc's per puppy plus one in a separate cup then add the Amoxy, mix well. Then take a syringe for each puppy and suck up 1.5 mg mixing after each draw. Then dose each puppy individually twice a day.

Re: Re: Re: Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

I have the paper here from Revival..says for 250 mg. capsul desolve in 10 cc warm water...so 500 mg capsule desolve in 20 cc of warm water..1 cc will treat 2.2 pounds of body weight.

Revival paper says dose every 8 hours. Penicillin is excreted rapidly and food will decrease absorption rate.

According to my bottle of Amoxi drops bought from Revival, says to feed 5 mg per pound of puppy, 2 times a day. I would think this would apply to using the 250 to 500 mg capsules as well as far as giving pups the med 2 times a day.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

Also, will the 20 ccs of warm water mixed with the 500 mg of Amoxi keep for the next dosing or do I have to toss the remainder away and start with a new capsule ? Do you have to refrigerate the left over solution or can it be at room temperature ?

I have the paper here and 1 cc per 2.2 pounds of body weight is (5-10mg per 1# body weight) and intervel for 250 mg capsule is dosed at 8 hour intervels. It also says food will decrease absorption rate so I wouldn't give with yogurt either or any other food an hour before or an hour after. I don't use the amoxi drops just the capsules so I don't have anything on those.

Call Revival # is 1-800-786-4751... they are there 24/7 and will answer your questions about Rx doses.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

It says..refrigerate any unused portion and discard after 14 days. It is bitter but try and resist sweeteners or food with it.

With any antibiotic to young pups, I would make sure you give yogurt or Benebac to help restore good flora in the gut. I also give pups Benebac if I need to put a lactating Mom on antibiotics for any reason. My vet always recommends it. If you use the paste, give 3/4" of paste per pup/per day and continue for 2 days after Mom is done with her dosing.

If you use the Benebac, buy the Equine size. It's the exact same paste as the canine, you just get more for your money. I buy mine at a feed store.

Amoxy will not desolve in water, it will settle to the bottom. Because it will not stay suspended, it is difficult to give consistant doses. This is why we use yogart as it is thick enough to keep fairly evenly suspended in the mix but liquid enough after being warmed to be able to draw in a syringe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking down Amixicllin capsules for litter of puppies

Just don't give at the SAME time as the antibiotic as food slows absorption..

"Call Revival # is 1-800-786-4751... they are there 24/7 and will answer your questions about Rx doses"

That's breaking just about every state's Practice of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy laws. I am not sure I would ever trust a company that will tell you how to dose your dog with something that they didn't prescribe to an animal they've never seen.

JMO
(flame suit on)

Not flaming over this one...sorry. They are a great company.................LATER!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

"Call Revival # is 1-800-786-4751... they are there 24/7 and will answer your questions about Rx doses"

That's breaking just about every state's Practice of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy laws. I am not sure I would ever trust a company that will tell you how to dose your dog with something that they didn't prescribe to an animal they've never seen.

JMO
(flame suit on)

Using incorrect dosages of any medication can be dangerous....I would not be guessing about how to divid up medication meant for a 50-70 lb. dog to give to 2 week old puppies. Overdosing antibiotics can do more harm then good...including killing off the puppies intestinal flora. Then you end up with puppies with terrible diarrhea that can dehydrate them. Please call your Vet rather than guess...JMO

It's all the same med. Pretend it's 2-250 mg capsules instead of one..I have mixed up 5-250 mg caps at once..it gave me 50 cc of medication...and with a nice sized litter of pups it doesn't go far...even if they are only 2 weeks old, you medicate for 10 days. I weighed the whole litter and divided by the number of puppies I had and used that weight for dosage. It keeps for 14 days...no diff. Amoxicillon IS amoxicillon IS amoxicillon. If the drops are different is prob beacause of the carrier base slows elimination...What do you think "dvm"? I have also used "human" amoxi...it's all the same. You have the internet at your fingertips...look it up. I'm sure the original poster knows what a cold in her puppies looks like, right poster? This is all I have to say on the matter. Good night...I'm going out and having me a big tall Bourbon and Ginger, sit by the water and watch the moon come up...I'll leave you to your flame throwing. Ta Ta.

Replying to:

Using incorrect dosages of any medication can be dangerous....I would not be guessing about how to divid up medication meant for a 50-70 lb. dog to give to 2 week old puppies. Overdosing antibiotics can do more harm then good...including killing off the puppies intestinal flora. Then you end up with puppies with terrible diarrhea that can dehydrate them. Please call your Vet rather than guess...JMO

There is no "Flame Throwing"...just trying to give good safe advise. Once you give a puppy something you can't take it back...Hopefully the little guys will be fine.

Thank goodness for the online companies who are willing to work with breeders on selling us their products with guidance and careful consideration. If all of us took every single one of our dogs and puppies in to our vets for a runny nose, cough, loose stools, tapeworm, Coccidia, Giardia, vaccinations, the list goes on and on, we would never be able to afford to keep our dogs as companions, never mind enjoying this hobby as breeders and competitors.

Breeders quickly learn to educate themselves via mentors, their own vet's advise. Some might call it Animal Husbandry.

We used to have to buy Frontline at our vets years ago and now they sell it at the pet stores. It's nice to be able to buy meds from companies, right wrong or indifferent and yes, it is also a plus to have a vet who is a breeder himself, who is willing to offer any advise having to do with various medications. Unfortunately my vet is closed over the weekend so I came to this forum to ask about the dosage for Amoxicillin using the capsules.

By law, I don't think we are suppose to vaccinate or microchip our puppies but look how many breeders do it. Now we have to worry about anon dvm coming on here and reporting our favorite online companies in for not following the rules of vet medicine practices ? If you were not a vet, anon, I bet you would also be very appreciative of these same companies who would also sell you medicine and other pet related items, not sold over the counter.

We ARE allowed to vaccinate/worm/chip our own pets. We may not do it to someone else's animals, and most especially may not charge for it. Exception is that only a veternarian can do an official rabies vaccination. You can give it yourself if you can get ahold of it--but if your dog bites someone, it won't count.

So you can vaccinate your puppies the day they go home--but unless you co-own them, you can't do the 12 week shots for them.

"It's all the same med. Pretend it's 2-250 mg capsules instead of one..I have mixed up 5-250 mg caps at once..it gave me 50 cc of medication...and with a nice sized litter of pups it doesn't go far...even if they are only 2 weeks old, you medicate for 10 days. I weighed the whole litter and divided by the number of puppies I had and used that weight for dosage. It keeps for 14 days...no diff."

So what happens when you dose wrong, or treat the wrong disease. But, hey your mentor said to treat it this way. You then give advice to a friend, maybe it works maybe it doesn't, but some of the meds are used wrong.... but eventually lots of people start believing all the advice. Pretty soon you end up with drug reistance, antibiotics getting in to the food chain/eco system. Whoops, now the antibiotics don't work... now what? It is a very serious public health issue, case in point, MRS, which if you happen to get, good luck trying to treat it. In less than 50 years we went from Penicillin being the wonder drug to treat infections to it being about as effective as pouring it on the ground next to the animal.

That is why your seemingly cavalier atittude towards something that should be very simple to treat prompts me to post

Be very careful when using antibiotics with out a proper diagnosis.

I say thank goodness for Anon Vet for saying what many others of us were thinking! There are reasons why some drugs are Rx items. If you can't pay a vet, don't make the welfare of your animals pay instead.

"Flame suit on?". Yeah buddy, you sound like a vet I would use..........NOT!............go away kid you're bothering me.

Poster didn't ASK what your opinion was...wanted dosage. READ POST S L O W L Y.

I'll type it s l o w l y don't keep so many dogs if you can't pay for p r o p e r v e t c a r e.

You all will learn. Keep going. Don't put others down. Just show how behind some are of what others have done for years. If we always depended on the vets we have local we would never even have litter of pups. I can say over the last 15 years I have learn way more from other breeders than any vet as far as, save up keep of my dogs and girls in whelp. Vets don't want to talk breeding and pups. My 2 cents.

To go back--sort of--to the original question, I just had to give Amoxicillin to a 4 week old pup. Because she was out of town when I contacted her, my vet had to call in a prescription to my drugstore. So I got the kids' size bottle rather than the little one that I get from the vet. It still will reach its expiration date quickly, but it's a large enough quantity to last long enough to treat an entire litter--and for about $10. Just another possibility if you have a cooperative vet.

Breeder, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of the paper from Revival then you'll have it too. Don't pay any attention to some of the other posters, we've all diagnosed and treated simple illnesses on our own and I believe one poster said it best that we can learn more from other breeders and books than from our vets, let's face it...it is where they learned and most have never raised a litter of pups let alone 3 or 4 a year. Good luck with your babies and I hope they feel better soon and you too. If you send e-mail just put Revival in the subject line. Take care.

GOOD ONE!

Replying to:

Poster didn't ASK what your opinion was...wanted dosage. READ POST S L O W L Y.

Hey Breeder....Sent you the sheet from Revival...let me know if you received it.

Replying to:

Does anyone know how to prepare a dosage of 1/2 ml or 25mg of Amoxi using a 500 mg Amoxicillin Capsule ?

This is for a 2 week old litter of puppies who have caught a cold. They are on amoxi drops now but the one bottle is not going to be enough. I'll order some more amoxi drops but I am wondering if it is possible to prepare the correct dosage for a 5 pound puppy which is now 1/2 ml or 25 mg 2 times a day using the amoxi drops.

No flames please, just want to know if it can be done by experienced breeders or vets, otherwise, I will put a rush on a couple more bottles of the amoxi drops. Just thought since I have this big bottle of 500 mg, I could break it down for a puppy dosage.

Do you still have this paper? I'd love a copy of this.

Your puppies could have distemper or allergies or maybe nothing. You could be jeopardizing their future health by diagnosing and treating them yourself. Don't have puppies if you can't afford to properly care for them!

Don't be a silly poosay