Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dream of coming to America, Can we help

Last week a lab breeder posted about basically her daugther is coming to America as a foreign exchange student.Sadly to see that the post was imediately taken off of here.When other things with bashing /flames stay on. I replied with a post .

This lady is legit, So is the company the student is through. Most of you all recieved her email to see if you would help a fellow lab breeder,Isn't this what this forum is all about.?

Unfortunetly I didn't recieve the email.As no questions asked I would of been able to help her sooner.I imediately got a email from her to see if i would so kindly help her.After I replied with a post I did..And so glad I did.

My angels have been working overtime this week because of this.

But everyone prefers to question about scams/fraud before they find out the real story.

I have gotten to be quick friends with the mother in Question and hope I have eased her mind about sending her lovely lab lover daughter to the US. What a wonderful person she is. And I'm sure her daughter is as lovely.

Hosting a Foreign Exchange student can be a very rewarding experience you should all try it sometime regardless of where you live in the world.

Our Youth no matter what the nationality is our future.

This lovely girl from Germany is being placed with a wonderful single lady in the town near me, For a year of experience and lifetime friendship. I hope to be also a part of her school year stay.

To insure she has time for her labrador fix through the year.Getting to know me and my labs.

I hope you all will think about opening your heart and home to host a student from a foreign land in the near future.
we have hosted 8 and I have been rep for a company for 9 yrs.and placed well over 279 kids.
Diane

Re: Dream of coming to America, Can we help

Good for you, Diane!

Aside from actually living in another country, there is no finer way to learn so much about another culture, make new friends which would never have happened otherwise, and enjoy and celebrate our differences and universal similarities.

I hope your new friend realizes that so many people on a public forum are understandably gun-shy when it comes to responding to an unsolicited correspondence from unknown internet sources and the potential for negative consequences.

Please extend my best wishes to the new exchange student and both her German family and her new host family. I hope she has a wonderful year.

Margaret Wilson

Re: Re: Dream of coming to America, Can we help

I also recieved her email and responded to her that I would check around. I have relatives in PA (where her daughter is now) and thought I would ask around.

They were unable to assist, but I received another email from her yesterday, thanking me for offering to help and telling me of the placement she found through you.

Thanks for helping her.

MK

Diane

The mother and I also spoke at great length. I knew she was legit from the beginning.I wonder if anyone knows how many hours she put into those emails feeling she could trust the Lab community in the US? To get to letter L took her over 7 hours plugging in names in a language that is not her first although she speaks it beautifully.

I did explain to her about the computer bot emails that float around and how a breeder here might take what was sent wrong although I didn't from the start. You really can tell the difference IMO.

What you must not have seen was the bashing/flaming that did occur and the reason the thread was taken down. She wanted the thread down so it was as she was in tears and awake unitl all hours of her time in her country due to it. Had things not transpired the way they did after with a few of us she would have had a very bad taste in her mouth for the US, again IMO.

Thank you Diane for being of so much assistance to her and her daughter. I recvd an email from her two days telling me how things were going, what area her daughter will be in and which breeders will be helping out with her exposure to shows and labs ;) It was very kind of her to keep me updated but we wound up with a nice email friendship at the very least. I would have taken her daughter in gladly but every bedroom here is full at the moment and explained that to her.

You have been wonderful to her, hats off!

Best regards

Michelle

I have recieved quite a few private emails about helping Dorothee and her daughter, But it was nothing really, I didn't mind helping someone who needed the help.

I do know Luisa has arrived in her host moms home.And is on her way to Aspen to have fun all weekend and of course to shop and hike and shop.!!!