Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Going to a show with a pregnant bitch at home???????

What do most of you do- you have a pregnant bitch at home and there is a show coming up within 10 days.
(This is her second litter and she is an easy whelper.)
You did not enter her but you have four others you have entered.
Do you go and disinfect everything when you get home or do you stay put and not take the chance?
No flames please as I will do what is best for the bitch.
Of course the closing date was before I knew she was pregnant.

Re: Going to a show with a pregnant bitch at home???????

I'd probably stay home unless you have a way to isolate the "show dogs" away from the pregnant bitch. If I have puppies/pregnant bitch, any "show dogs" have to stay outside in the kennel area for 2 weeks. They have a separate yard away from the house dogs so there is no contact anywhere close. Hands are washed from kennel to house, even if everyone outside seems healthy. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that's how I handle going to shows and I'm lucky enough to have a setup here that allows the isolation of the groups.

I agree with Patty--
we put SO much into a breeding, why increase the risk (however remote..) of any untowards events?

If i'm lucky enough to have a breeding take, my 'show life' goes on hold until the pups go to their new homes...

gcb

I simply follow sensible hygenic procedures. If it's the first month, that's when the fetus is developing legs, palate, etc, so I'm more careful then. Later in the pregnancy it's not as risky.

Those mutts that whelp under the porch seem to have big litters of healthy puppies while eating garbage from toxic waste dumps. Don't know how they do it!

I agree with the above posts. If you are taking a dog along with you it is so important to isolate that dog from the rest at home to prevent any possible tranfer of an illness. If you are successful in getting a girl pregnant protect her! These days it is not as easy as you think. I have had five misses in the last two years. Four different girls! I was ready to get the water tested and then Maddie took. There will always be shows after the little guys are older. You will be less stressed out if you stay home!

Once others have gone to a show, they are kept in a separate area from the pregnant bitch. I continue keeping Mom and the new babies protected from the "socially active" dogs until pups have their shots. I used to stay home for the entire time, but if there are specialty shows that I don't want to miss, I have started to attend, but keep the dogs segregated at home.

Along this same line of thought, what do all of you think about just you going to the show without any dogs along? Pregnant girl of course stays home.
I have done this in the past. I make sure that I clean my car out very well when I get home. Inside and out. Change clothing in the garage before greeting anyone. Spray and wipe down everything with a disenfectant and bleach.
You can do it if you are careful.
It all boils down to just how important it is for you to go to the show.

I do not take my pregnant bitch to shows, but it does not stop me or the other dogs from going. Maybe you are having problems because you have isolated your dogs from everything and they have not built up a natural immunity to things.

When I was born my dad was not aloud to go in the deliver room. They made you wear masks and kept moms for at least a week or more. Now days everyone is allowed in the delivery room and babies go home within 24 to 48 hours and are just fine.

Maybe it is because I am older and look at things differently. When I had my first child if anything fell to the ground I would boil it before giving it back. The second child I would pick it up and wash it off under running water. The third I picked it up look it over maybe spit on it to get the dirt off and gave it back to the child. They all did just fine and grew up very healthy.

All this talk about keeping moms and pups away from everyone is the problem. I believe that my pups should be well socialized at an early age. I let friends and family visit from birth on. I let all my dogs meet the puppies. I have never had a problem. I do not spray everyone down with bleach.

I am not saying you should not take some precautions but I think some go to the extremes. My dogs all live in the house, all 8 of them. I could never make one stay outside away from everyone.

I have never had a missed pregnancy and have never lost a litter. (knocking on wood)

Just the other side and no problems.

I am in the same boat as some of these posters.
I just bred my girl and had planned on going to a Speciality this week.
Of course I have no idea if she will take or not.
I would never think of taking her but would like to go myself.
What precautions do any of you take upon your return?
Would like to know just in case I do go to the show.
Thanks!

Re: Re: Going to a show with a pregnant bitch at home???????

there are some things that can be transmitted to a pregnant bitch that will result in loss of litters (like first exposure to CHV); and parvo can wipe out an entire litter. Some things are too virulent for undeveloped immune systems (like newborns).

Sometimes caution is the better part of valor. I wouldn't want to risk loss of a litter from virulent things that i CAN avoid.

I also will not take a pregnant bitch to a show, but I admit I take no precaution beyond that. I go to shows, my other dogs go to shows, and I do not spray anyone with bleach, or separate anyone. Maybe it will bite me one day, but it has not yet.

Hi there!

Uh, Oh, you made me smile this morning.
Talking about how careful you were with your first child and on down.
"The third I picked it up look it over maybe spit on it"
Ain't that the truth.

Donna

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I do not take my pregnant bitch to shows, but it does not stop me or the other dogs from going. Maybe you are having problems because you have isolated your dogs from everything and they have not built up a natural immunity to things.

When I was born my dad was not aloud to go in the deliver room. They made you wear masks and kept moms for at least a week or more. Now days everyone is allowed in the delivery room and babies go home within 24 to 48 hours and are just fine.

Maybe it is because I am older and look at things differently. When I had my first child if anything fell to the ground I would boil it before giving it back. The second child I would pick it up and wash it off under running water. The third I picked it up look it over maybe spit on it to get the dirt off and gave it back to the child. They all did just fine and grew up very healthy.

All this talk about keeping moms and pups away from everyone is the problem. I believe that my pups should be well socialized at an early age. I let friends and family visit from birth on. I let all my dogs meet the puppies. I have never had a problem. I do not spray everyone down with bleach.

I am not saying you should not take some precautions but I think some go to the extremes. My dogs all live in the house, all 8 of them. I could never make one stay outside away from everyone.

I have never had a missed pregnancy and have never lost a litter. (knocking on wood)

Just the other side and no problems.

Re: Re: Re: Going to a show with a pregnant bitch at home???????

I could tell so many funny story about how over protective and worried I was all the time with my first child and by the third I just enjoyed everything instead of fretting over things.

Georgia,

I never said not to take precaution but I think some go overboard and that is not good either.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Going to a show with a pregnant bitch at home???????

Agreed!
And i raise my pups as you do-- i let folks come in to see them from birth . Fortunately i haven't had any mishaps (knock on wood..)

gcb

I have no experience but this is what I was thinking as well. I took my last pup out at 10 weeks and put her in obedience in a public park. Trainer was field oriented vs. show oriented and claimed that careful controlled exposure boosted the immune system vs. isolating the pup until 16+ weeks.

Normal precautions, clean hands, disinfected shoes, no strange dogs in the home, clean puppy area....I would think that would be fine.