Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Veterans class at specialties

It's easier to ask, since someone will know faster than me looking it up!!! I have never shown a veteran at a show before. Can you show a neutered dog in regular classes, I know you can in sweeps.

Re: Veterans class at specialties

Not if he/she is eligible for best of breed, and group judging.Not all shows have vets eligible for best of breed.

The last post is incorrect/incomplete.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RREGS3.pdf

Page 46.

No offense intended, but if there is a question about AKC rules or any other published rules, look them up first. If you have questions, e-mail the AKC or the appropriate rule maker. Why risk getting the wrong answer here? Don't be lazy.

Re: Re: Veterans class at specialties

I once was trying to find out the rules of showing in sweepstakes to a handler that had handled my dog in the past, although not the dog I wanted to show. I talked to 4 different people at AKC, and got 4 different answers (opinions) AKC does not always have cut and dry rules. Sometimes it is very hard to get a correct answer.

What is incorrect about that answer?
"Not if he/she is eligible for best of breed, and group judging"

Use e-mail - don't just talk to someone. Then you not only have the name of the person, you have what they said in writing.

Re: Re: Re: Veterans class at specialties

The incorrect part of the statement is "not if he/she is eligible for best of breed" Per the AKC rules neutered animals can compete for BOB in shows where they do not compete in Groups.
Veterans can and do compete for BOB at Specialties

Re: Re: Re: Re: Veterans class at specialties

I guess it could have been written more clearly. But, the "AND" in the comment makes it correct. They must get best of breed, AND qualify for group judging.

"Not if he/she is eligible for best of breed, AND group judging"

The rule is that any dog that competes beyond Best of Breed (that would be the group, and best in show)must be intact. So the neutered or spayed Veteran can only compete for best of breed at specialty shows where there is no group.
Traci

Are you kidding me??!! Just be polite and answer the question "Not a librarian".