Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
redeux on emergency when alone

I am 41 and currently suffer from late stage class 4 heart failure (20% function) and lung failure (50% function) resulting from intense, invasive Chemo/radiation for stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1992-93. I spent 4 weeks in intensive care in 2002 for liver failure. I was hospitalized in 2004 in cardiac intensive care for 6 weeks. Luckily I had 4 friends who took care of the dogs, but it was very, very difficult. Unexpected emergencies, obviously.

I now have an EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN as I am realistic about my health condition.

I have an updated list of folks who will take dogs, 2 designated people to initiate plan, an order posted next to my do not resuscitate order(DNR) on who Emergency folks can call. I wear an ID tag with that person as emergency contact. The folks all have a copy of the list so they know each other. Neighbors also have a copy. Each dog has their own binder with all their records and everyone knows where to find them.

I would pray that I would have time to dial my important person AND 911, but live with the reality that won't happen. I periodically discuss this with my network and everyone remains committed and knows what to do.

Of course I believe every day this will never be needed.

I keep my number of dogs very low and pray everyday.

It is my responsibility to my little lab family to have a plan. I feel very confident they would be immediately taken and cared for by the best of my dearest friends who the dogs love.

Hope this gives folks some ideas on making their own Emergency Action Plan just in case even a slip and fall occurs.

Re: redeux on emergency when alone

I'm so sorry about your failing health. You sound so brave and caring. It is very clear how important your dogs are to you and how much thought you have put into their care. They are very lucky to have someone like you. Take care of yourself.....

Re: redeux on emergency when alone

I too am sorry for your failing health.

As one who lives alone I had oftened wondered if anything happened to me there is no DH or children to take care of my babies, what would become of them.

I have it written into my will as to who gets my dogs, where monies will come from for their care, etc. And all files on dogs health are right on my dining room table. Also that my dogs are not to be separated.

A copy of this will is in my home and another in my parents.