Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vacuuming your lab

"PetHair Fantastic is a vacuum attachment tool that removes loose pet hair, dust, dirt and allergenic skin dander from sofas, carpets, car carpets, car seats, clothes and most woven fabric as well as from dogs, cats and horses FASTER – BETTER than any other product on the market."

Has anyone ever vacuumed their dog? It sounds like a great idea and I heard it's good for dogs with environmental allergies. I have a young girl that isn't afraid of the vacuum that I would like to train to be vacuumed. Any suggestions or tips on how I should introduce her to it would be helpful. I bought the Pet Hair Fantastic, it's got rubber teeth on it like a curry brush, it looks like it might work well (and feel good).

Re: Vacuuming your lab

My vacuum has a small dog hair attachment, I use it on the dogs, most of them love it. I figure it must feel good, I know it works good.

No but I have one of those blowers the groomers use for blowing out the dirt and sand. Great for turning a grey/yellow dog back into a bright yellow lab

Well duh, I found my answer on the Pet Hair Fantastic site in the FAQ section. Good reading. If anyone is interested, here is the address: http://www.pethair.com/faqs.html These brushes sound great for cleaning car upholstery too. I'm going to get 10' of extension hose to attach to my Dyson so I won't have to fight with the retractable hose.

I just use the regular attachment on a normal vac and my guys fight for position to have their turn to be vaccumed. My puppies all join in the fun as well. They love it as much as a towel dry session. Problem, when I unhook to use attachments of edging, wall, dapres, etc. I get bowled over by the heard saying "Do ME mommy", no ME, no ME" hahahaha

really sucks.

Sorry I just couldn't resist!

I bought a new vacuum a number of years back. My teenage son was the first to try it out (boys and machines, go figure) and when I asked him how it worked, he said, "It sucks!"

"I just use the regular attachment on a normal vac and my guys fight for position to have their turn to be vaccumed. My puppies all join in the fun as well. They love it..."

Aquila,
How does it compare to brushing? Do you have to vacuum as often as you have to brush? Vacuuming seems like it would do a more complete job. A lot of hair removal tools cut the top coat. A zoom groom works good but you could brush all day trying to complete the job (it's great for baths though).
Thanks for your response.

Brushing is a mess....exhausting and hair blowing everywhere..........a good regular vaccum will suck out all that undercoat, can use upholsry brush....also, I drop a couple drips of lavender or taea tree oil in the bin and ooooooh they just smell fresh.......I usually do them 3 times a week in heavy shed season, I am doing the floors daily anyway!