Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
using sire from another country

To anyone who has done this, please I need your help.

I am trying to fact find in order to accept an offer to use a lovely boy.
The dog and owner are in Germany. The dog is definately registered with an AKC designated "accepted registry". It would be chilled/extended semen.

Q1 In order to have the required AKC DNA profile, does the sire owner also have to register him AKC?

Q2 Collection done by certified Vet in their country, is there an additional form for this or just the standard "chilled" AKC form?

Q3 Have you found complications in registering a litter this way?

Thanks

Re: using sire from another country

Q1 In order to have the required AKC DNA profile, does the sire owner also have to register him AKC? **YES**

Q2 Collection done by certified Vet in their country, is there an additional form for this or just the standard "chilled" AKC form? ***Standard AKC form***

Q3 Have you found complications in registering a litter this way? *** NO. You will need a certified pedigree from the foreign registry that can be submitted to the AKC. AKC will generate an AKC registration number for the stud dog. It is this number that you will use as the sire's registration number. ***

Re: Re: using sire from another country

How odd that this question came up now. I just called AKC today to ask that very same question about an English sire! AKC gave me the same info, pretty much. I was also told that in using frozen semen you needed a copy of the shipping label with where it was sent from and to where it was shipped, and how much semen was sent. Not sure if this applies to fresh chilled. Is there a link on the AKC site that outlines the requirements in using a foreign stud dog?

Re: using sire from another country

Thanks for the info...............perfectly clarified my questions.

Now I wonder about shipping info needed by AKC, will just keep everything.

Only thing resembling reference I found on the chilled/frozen litter registration application.

Rules and regulations pamphlet wasn't of help.

Re: Re: Re: using sire from another country

At the time I did my breeding, I only had to have the Application Using Frozen Semen completed (http://www.akc.org/pdfs/frozsem.pdf) I also had a DNA sample submitted with an official pedigree from the foreign registry. I provided the DNA sample kit, with my personal check made out to the AKC to the owner of the sire. This completed sample was mailed to the AKC with the dog's official pedigree. When the AKC completed the DNA analysis, an AKC registration number was provided to me to register my litter. This was prior to the dog being registered here in the US. There were no delays in registration using this process. Everything went smoothly. This dog eventually went on to become registered here in the US a year after I did my breeding via frozen semen.