Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carrots as treats

I've never tried carrots as treats, I guess because I see my crew swallowing them whole. For those who use carrots, what size do you use?

Re: Carrots as treats

I give the baby carrots to all of my dogs and have not had any issues of them swallowing and not chewing them. But they also have been given these as treats since they each were puppies. Maybe for an adult chow hound you would want to start with a larger whole carrot? Mine love these low calorie treats.
Julia

My dogs love the large Carrots...I rotate from biscuits to carrots to apples for their nightly snack before they get tucked in" I think they would swallow the small carrots whole so I prefer to give them that large ones...

Re: Re: Carrots as treats

LOL...all of mine hate raw carrots. Cooked in a stew, that's different. Even my youngest, who liked them as a pup, won't eat them now.

I often question if they are labs, but the AKC papers tell me so

My senior never liked carrots until she saw a puppy eat one and has loved them ever since.

Re: Re: Re: Carrots as treats

My boy used to like carrots, now spits them out. He can make it go about two feet!
Also has decided he does not like bananas...very strange. Bananas are not projectiles like the carrots - just spit out very unceremoniously on the floor, with a look that says, "Come on, Mom! Cookies are SO much better."
BUT, like the above poster, if cooked in a crockpot like stew, with beef taste, gravy....oh, well, THAT'S a different story.

all my critters love carrots...but be prepared for some 'orange' poops if you give 'em a lot...

All of mine love carrots and apples as well!
I sometimes make a really gross looking mix of chopped carrots, banana an peanut butter to stuff in kongs and freeze...keeps em busy for a LITTLE bit and is a nice cool treat on a hot day.
Annie
(yes, I know, the peanut butter takes away the "low cal" aspect of it all, but what can I say?)

I use to give my dogs the small carrots instead of bicuits.....beware they swallow them whole and when you pooper scoop you will find them just the same !! I have a few poop eaters....they love finding the carrots !!!!

I gave my youngsters frozen carrots to help with teething, they loved it!

I've been giving raw carrots for about 16 years now to my dogs as their nightime treat when I put them to bed, I buy the whole carrots and wash them and each dog gets a half a carrot every night. Never had one swallow it whole and I start them from about 8 weeks, even had friends who's dogs came to stay with me for a little bit that never ate carrots and they eat them when they see mine eating them.
Aloha,
jackie

I was refering to the baby carrots.....for some reason my dogs swallow them whole. I have given them the larger regular carrots and they do chew those. I also grate whole carrots and apples together and add it to their kibble......they love it.

my dogs LOVE carrots, and carrots, apple, and slices of sweet potato are their major treats. Every night before bed they get one of the 3 to munch on

i've been known to go to obedience class using a carrot or green bean instead of the traditional string cheese

barb

I have been feeding carrots for treats in lieu of biscuits for years.

First because I had a dog allergic to corn and tough to find a biscuit back then without corn.

Second because they beg all the time and I am such a sucker that they would get fat on all those buisuits.

I buy 10 lbs of organic carrots at a time and always have one laying on the island with a knife ready to slice a small piece off.

My dogs love them so much I use them for bait in the ring.

All I have to do at home is yell "who wants a Caroooooot"? and they come running.

I have two apple trees in the yard ..... the labs actually jump up and grab branches off and eat the apples, and they seem to know when the apples are good to eat they don't bother in early summer when they are too sour. My new puppy wasn't at all interested until she seen the older guys dining!!! It's too funny