Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Waterproof dog beds

Do any of you use waterproof dog beds and if so which ones did you use and/or where did you get them from?

Re: Waterproof dog beds

If you just need a bed that it won't hurt it to get wet, Orvis has some great beds that are advertised as out door beds. They have a bassett puppy sleeping on one in the picture in the cataloge. If they get urine on them, either hose them off or if need be,spray with febreeze or odoban,let it sit a while and then hose off and dry. Odor gone! They are thick enough to be comfortable and look good enough to be in the house. I use them as recovery beds at the clinic and they have held up great and the dogs don't chew on them for some reason. Most of the waterproof beds I have seen and used otherwise had waterproof liners and cover that could be removed and cleaned since it soaked any liquids. I got mine from a company called comfy dog that still makes waterproof beds but they are made out of a heavy, tight stitched vinyl that has no cover. Also good as a recovery bed and that is how they are marketed now. Debbie

How about this: Dog Cot

Re: Re: Waterproof dog beds

I bought a couple of the dog cots as a cheaper-than-Kuranda, portable, off-the-ground dog bed. Nice idea, but the legs would fold up when the dogs got on one end instead of in the middle. It also was a fascinating chew challenge for my guys. It might work with one dog, but multiples made a toy of it.

the orvis 'non chew' beds are GREAT. Orvis also makes a liner that you put over the bed and under the cover--very water proof.

These beds are a bit pricey..BUT some of the 'costco' beds fit the liners/covers, so you can get a $20 bed from costco and use the orvis covers

Kuranda Bed

I don't know which kind is better (resin, aluminum, steel) maybe someone else has feedback.

I have the resin Kuranda beds and have been very happy with them. One of my dogs loved hers immediately, the other took a while to decide she liked the bed, but she loves it now. I got the more open weave type material, and it is nice and cool for the dogs to sleep on (I live in Charleston, SC).

The beds have held up beautifully and they are very sturdy. There has been no collapse of the beds, no matter how the dogs climb onto them.

I have 4 Kuranda beds, resin type. Mine are at least 5 years old and look the same as they did the year they were purchased - including the one I leave outside, by the pool, all year around.

Bonnie

Kuranda sounds good, did you get the Large or X-Large?

I got the large size - 40 by 25, I believe. I didn't get the larger size because I was trying to fit two beds side by side in my mudroom. If I had a big male dog I would probably go for the X-Large size. I have two bitches that are 70 to 75 pounds, so the large is fine for them.

Question: How do you convince the dogs that the bed is for them, not the cat? I won one and the dogs want nothing to do with it. The cat loves it.

We love our Karunda beds and so do the dogs! They just liked them from the start....our "bed-eater" has not chewed them at all. ONe of our dogs prefers if we put a piece of fleece bed on top of the Karunda...makes it more like a "real" bed.

If you need a cheap alternative, you can buy a bed with a machine washable cover. Take the cover off and place the liner with filling into a large, thick, lawn and leaf bag, then put the cover back on.
If the cover gets wet, you can remove it, wash it, and replace the garbage bag. The filling stays totally dry.

Re: Re: Re: Waterproof dog beds

I've tried this method; the bed then 'crackled' so much that neither the dogs nor I could stand the noise.....they quit using them.

I just use a non-soak-through bed pad ( used in hospitals )under the cover, over the pillow, before I zip the bag shut.