Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy runs

I am at work and my notes are at home. My co-worker's new 7 week old Lab puppy has developed diahrea, the kind which piles up like a soft serve ice cream cone and is mucousy (sp). I cannot remember for the life of me what this is called. Can anyone help me? Another co-worker told her that the puppy is fine and not to worry about it but I know it can be serious as we've had to treat this in a litter of our pups.
Thanks,
Angie

Re: puppy runs

I would think it's called "time for the vet". Could be stress, could be ghiardi/coccidia, could be change in food...and so on.

Sounds like Giardia
Time for the vet

A few thoughts here; If the puppy is 7 weeks old and has developed diarrhea how old was the pup when sent to it's new home? I would ask the co-worker if the breeder wormed the litter at 2, 4 and 6 weeks. A vet visit is called for unless they already did just had one when the puppy arrived. If they did have a health check your co-worker could begin with a call to the vet to let them know what is happening and could drop off a stool sample. Mucousy is not a good sign, just soft stool could be from the stress of moving the pup from dam and littermates that young.

How about any food changes from breeder to new home?

Re: Re: puppy runs

There was a food change which would definately cause the soft stool but the mucous worries me.
Thanks