Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pomadors??????

Please tell me this a joke??
I saw this on a web page mentioned earlier today in another post. I'm hoping this is an April Fool's joke that someone forgot to take down.

Labs and Poms...how horrible! Pomadors

Re: Pomadors??????

sure hope Mark isn't the sire of this horrible cross.

Re: Re: Pomadors??????

Their website does not show that they're mixing Labradors and Poms. These folks have 2 breeds. You might want to check it out yourself.

Aloha,
Kim

Dear Anon...Nope, if "Mark" were the sire they would be "MarkAdors" And if I follow your logic that means I have "PersaDors" Hmmm...that cat dog mix sure satisfies my "designer animal" clientèle!!

I don't know about Pomadors, but seriously designer dogs are out of hand. Though I have not seen anyone selling them, if you google boradors, you can find an information page about Border Collie Labrador crosses. I can assure you that this website is in no way associated with Borador Labradors. I did however come across it while looking for borador's website before it existed. If you just google 'Boradors' here is the first hit you get: www.dogbreedinfo.com/borador.htm.

It is pretty ridiculous where the whole designer dog thing is headed. And another thing while I am venting. Golden Doodles, think about it they should be Goldenoodles. Where does the second 'D' come from? Golden Retriever & Poodle ; with Labradoodle it makes sense Labrador/Poodle. I can see where the 'D' comes from. These goldenoodle people are just trying to capitalize on the Labradoodle popularity. If they are going to create a word from two words, they should at least do it right!!!!

Seriously

The sad truth is that the consumer drives the market. If people were not out looking for something "unique" there would not be a "designer dog" market. Instead there would be "Heinz 57" and "Purebred dogs" as choices. Sad but true, it is very similar to the food market with good food available but the market shows us that sadly we choose "what tastes good" regardless of how good it is for us!

Re: Seriously

I groom far more golden/poodle mixes than I do labradoodles or goldens now! The charge to groom a golden is usually far less than a golden/poodle. They are a bloody mess of matts if not groomed every 4-6 weeks. I like the $, but I don't like the craze.

Re: Re: Seriously

Here is one for you. I was at the vet the other day with my girl. Sitting next to me was a lovely lady with a raggamuffin dog in a carrier. He was cute enough. She told me that she got him from the pet store down the street. She was so proud of the "deal" she got on him. You see, he had a corneal ulcer, I believe that is what she said, and the health department would not allow him to be in the pet store, so they gave him to her for 1/2 price. $400. Better yet, her cousin got a puppy frome there as well. His mother is a Lab, his father is a Chiuahua (sorry, butchered that spelling). You see, they want a Lab personality but in a smaller package. Oh yeah, makes sense, mix him with a Chi. Strangely, she tells me, he is very sick....

I tried to talk to her, but all in all, I felt very bad for them all.

Re: Re: Re: Seriously

I am not saying ANY dog has a lab personality, but I wish people would understand that all these great dogs already EXIST! Smart people would be looking into all kinds of breeds and talking to breeders to figure out what purebred fits them. The only reason I can see for mutts is that they are cheaper to produce. Its sad that people cant see that basic fact that they are being scammed. Some are typical in that a good sales pitch sells them others are full of crapola when they tell you they were looking for all these special attributes they could only get in this particular mix when in reality they wanted a cheap but cute dog that could still pass as a status symbol of sorts even though its a mutt.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seriously

By the way, I did see a site with pomadors in the title, and it was in no way talking about a mix, but as previously stated, just a breeder who has two breeds they focus on.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seriously

Anne, I agree, there is a kennel in CA by that name. I don't know them, but I know they are a member of the LRCSC.

Your kidding....someone actually paid for a Chihuahua/Labrador? How is that even possible, AI but that costs $$? Chihuahua male and lab bitch? And a "great buy" on a puppy that already has a corneal ulcer? I'm sick....this is just totally nuts. What are people thinking?

I relayed the story to my hubby, after his raised eyebrows, his only comment was "A fool and his money are soon parted". LOL

Absolutely. I was astonished myself. I just sat there and tried to be kind. The woman really loved her little ragmop and was very sincere about her cousins dog. I of course told them my thoughts on Mutts being sold as *designer dogs* and supporting the stores that sell them. I wanted to keep her listening, so I tried very hard not to be pushy. In the end, those poor pups deserve love too. I just wish the people creating these mixes were as concerned with the well being of these animals as this lady was.

Re: Re: Pomadors??????

i just couldn't resist. WHY??? are you so angry. I see that alot online. The truth is, before any breed is a "recognized" breed. They're line bred mutts. People are breeding them because people like or even prefer the cross to current recognized breeds. It's a little rediculous to be upset at what any "pure bred" started out as. And YES they are paid for, like many line breed hound breeds most have never heard of, people pay good money for a better dog. Better coonhound better bear dog, agian if they weren't established you'd call them mutts, Black mouth curs, majestic hounds etc, these aren't mutts, they're pure breeds, like labradoodles are and have become. (they're pure breed now because they've been so interwoven in alot of kennels that they are now identical in look and trait).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I don't know about Pomadors, but seriously designer dogs are out of hand. Though I have not seen anyone selling them, if you google boradors, you can find an information page about Border Collie Labrador crosses. I can assure you that this website is in no way associated with Borador Labradors. I did however come across it while looking for borador's website before it existed. If you just google 'Boradors' here is the first hit you get: www.dogbreedinfo.com/borador.htm.

It is pretty ridiculous where the whole designer dog thing is headed. And another thing while I am venting. Golden Doodles, think about it they should be Goldenoodles. Where does the second 'D' come from? Golden Retriever & Poodle ; with Labradoodle it makes sense Labrador/Poodle. I can see where the 'D' comes from. These goldenoodle people are just trying to capitalize on the Labradoodle popularity. If they are going to create a word from two words, they should at least do it right!!!!

It is sad. I just placed a lab/poodle mix puppy. A "breeder" dumped an entire litter off at the shelter because he didn't like how they turned out. He bred a lab/poodle mix bitch to a full lab. Their coats were not really curly...can you guess why? Anyways, the guy we scooped up had an umbilical hernia and no one wanted him so we rescued him...and thankfully he didn't get parvo like two of his littermates did. He's fixed and now in a great home with a 10 year old girl who wants to become a vet.

I don't know why I am just seeing this but did anyone look at my web site? I do all breed related health test on both my labs and pomeranians and I would NEVER breed them together! I work way to hard to ever screw anything up that bad. I am just not a creative person and figured I would always have both breeds so that is my kennel name.

Just saw this too...thanks Anne!

Wow, every once in a while an old post comes up and I am reminded of my dear old friend, Anne.
It's almost freaky how it happens.

Lacey, Anne died a few years ago.

Lacey
Just saw this too...thanks Anne!

Reading this thread, my heart skipped a beat as I realized Annie is just checking in on us all....God bless you, Annie. You are still missed.

That is sad, I am sorry to hear that. I didn't even know her but I liked her for her post. Rest in Peace Anne.

After realizing the start of this thread was yet another case of someone looking for negatives in others to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities.... the drama of it all...

Will everyone please take a step backward and look at all the extremes within the pure bred dog world. So many of us are driven by what the market wants and/or what wins in the ring without thinking about the dogs. If you can't see that designer dogs are just a logical extension of what many show breeders do anyway.... so many of us haven't got a clue ...beware of the know it all...

PS There are many arrogant intellectual types who post here and they are not the problem. Agree with them or not, they have well thought out, detailed yet big picture reasoning for what they do. I am talking about the know it alls that just spout mindless commonly held misconceptions without ever looking past the surface...