Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Penis sucking puppy

I have one pup in the litter that continually finds a penis of his litter mates to suck on. I have removed him, put him on Mom and shortly after find him back at it.

How do I deter this behavior?

Any help appreciated.

Re: Penis sucking puppy

Short of taking him away when he does it not much you can do, I call those weenie suckers lol
Aloha,
Jackie

My first litter had peenie pacifiers too. Not sure why either...they were all little porkers and mama had lots of milk. I did start them on gruel at about 19 days to help curb it and it did.

Every litter we have had, the girl pups go to town on the boy pups. When I see the girl's suckling on their brothers, I take them off and put them up to the milk bar. Sometimes you can't watch over them every minute of the day to curb the weenie sucking and I don't think it does any harm except to live little hicky marks on the boy pup's tummmy area.

They are hungry. I would get them on food by three weeks.

I had one boy in particular that did that in my last litter. Even though he seemed to eat fine and was gaining weight I either put him on mom just a bit more or I gave him some yogurt using the tip of my finger. He quieted down afterward and went to sleep. Pretty much outgrew the behavior when they started eating gruel.

This happens a lot in larger litters, and yes, they think they are hungry, so they find this warm bare spot that reminds them of their mother breast, then find the little penis and think it's a nipple. So give the little peter-suckers a break! It's just nature's way.

I'm not sure they're hungry because I've had them do it right after a good feeding. I think the "suck" memory is high in them at that point and they're used to sucking so they suck.

I had a litter of 9 girls and 1 boy. Egads, that poor boy's weenie was chapped. I ended up having to put him in a pen next to his sisters in order for the girls not to suck it off.

I could make another comment, but I'll stop now.

Laura
I'm not sure they're hungry because I've had them do it right after a good feeding. I think the "suck" memory is high in them at that point and they're used to sucking so they suck.

I had a litter of 9 girls and 1 boy. Egads, that poor boy's weenie was chapped. I ended up having to put him in a pen next to his sisters in order for the girls not to suck it off.

I could make another comment, but I'll stop now.

Too funny. I also had a vorocious peenie sucker and no matter whether she had just eaten or not, I would be starting dinner and hear some serious sucking going on. Seeing Mom outside the box I new it was Greeny going to town on brother! I'd pull her away, move her to another spot, continue dinner and within minutes there was that sucking sound again!LOL. My boys slept right thru it. It's normal, grossed my teenage son out but perfectly normal. Just try to help your boys out when you catch it happening.

I had my first litter of Penis suckers. They are fat, happy and well fed.
My solution, I took an ankle sock and cut holes for front legs, and cut the whole back of sick off.
Looks like a sweater, covers the penis. I made a 12 pack so I can switch them out if they get wet from pee.
I call them PPP puppy penis protectors or Suck Off. Lol! Works great. My pups no longer suck on the Penis's.
I have a picture if need be. You can email me at becky@bestshepherds.com.

Becky bouchard
I had my first litter of Penis suckers. They are fat, happy and well fed.
My solution, I took an ankle sock and cut holes for front legs, and cut the whole back of sock off.
Looks like a sweater, covers the penis. I made a 12 pack so I can switch them out if they get wet from pee.
I call them PPP puppy penis protectors or Suck Off. Lol! Works great. My pups no longer suck on the Penis's.
I have a picture if need be. You can email me at becky@bestshepherds.com.

Thats so smart! I have two orphaned pits and they have a sucking problem. They are too gaining weight and are incredibly healthy, but at 6 weeks, the sucking is getting rather annoying and incessant. thanks for this trick! i am going to try it right now!

Wow! Thank you so much, Becky! I have two orphaned puppies now 10 days old. One is. a huge female who won't leave her little brother alone. All that sucking gets really annoying, to the pup and me, too. I was happy to donate some socks to the cause and finally, the little man can sleep undisturbed and I'm not grossed out. Thank you!

My little fur babies are 5 1/2 weeks. They also do this sucking on each other.....even after just being fed. Usually they're playing turns into this. And they do get rough.
They are being weaned. So ruling out being hungry or still nursing .....why?

is that normal ? i mean is that safe for the male puppy ?

Is it safe you ask? The posts here suggest it is, but I had a foster kitten die from an infected penis after this behavior from his litter mates. I'd discourage it. It's just a pacifier, and has nothing to do with appetite or nourishment. I now have two runts in a litter of seven puppies that refuse to sleep without something in their mouths. I'm trying several things to discourage it because it CAN be dangerous.