Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
progesterone test by Endocrine Techonogies?

Has anyone besides Maureen G. tried the new progesterone test, either with blood or with urine? I'd love to hear the results, especially from those who used urine instead of blood in an off label use. It sounds almost ideal and saves trips to the vets, waiting a day, etc. I'd also be interested in hearing if the urine worked well with small dogs, and if the test could be used to predict whelping. The test is:
Proges-Check made by Endocrine Technologies. The website for the product is http://www.endocrinetech.biz
TIA.

Re: progesterone test by Endocrine Techonogies?

We are trying it right now, with blood, and measuring it against regular progesterone testing. We won't know the outcome for awhile though

any updates on this test yet?

Here is my experience with the Endocrine product.

We were out of Premate and decided to give Endocrine a chance.

We are used to Premate costing $5-$10 a test depending on how many you run at the same time. With Endocrene it is $20 a test. That is 4 times as much as Premate????

Our first attempt with the Endocrine test. (We bought a 5 pack)This is the first of 5. So we drew the blood and ran the test and the test shows a aqua colored dot in the middle of the test. We look at the printed sample chart used to match the sample color. The chart was a total different color than the test produces. The test produces a aqua color. The printed sample test chart shows something close to a reflex blue color. The instructions that have this blue color show 3 different shades of that blue. Dark, not as dark and medium light. These represent progesterone levels 2.5, 5, 10.

It was so hard to tell how dark the dot was being I didnt have something the same color and intensity to compare it to. Their website had the colors similar to the test but it wasnt the same looking at a color on a screen and knowing how to match the shades of a different sunbstance and finish.

And the test gets all dark within a few minutes and changes colors so if you dont figure it out right when the test is ready, dont plan on coming back in 15 minutes for another quess.

The next 4 days we did a test each day. The color of the test and intensity seemed to be the same.

We got Premate the next day. We had exact colors in the wells next to the samples to match to. It showed she was at 10. We bred her that day and the next.

JME

Exhibitor

We got Premate the next day. We had exact colors in the wells next to the samples to match to. It showed she was at 10. We bred her that day and the next.

JME

I have never received a color chart with premate?? is this new

No, the color chart is how you match colors with Endocrine. With Premate you use the A & B Wells to compare colors to your sample. Its pretty easy with Premate.

I tried the Endocrine Tech tests too, and had the same experience you did with the difficulty matching colors in the well to the colors on the papers - different colors of blue. PLEASE if they are going to market this test, be more careful with the printing of the reference colors! I found it useless and didn't at all match the actual progesterone numbers I got from Antech (and we got a large litter as well).

Not impressed.

we used the test and on day 7 she appeared to be past the dark blue and maybe a 5. So we test her the next day at the vet, was a .7 Tested her again on day 10 and no real color change on the test but she was a .9 at the vet. She said Ahhh she is just not having a good cycle this time and to wait for her next season. So I gave up and kept her separated from our boy anyway, told the stud dog owner she was not going to cooperate this time. He wasn't interested in her, and the testing wasn't budging. Then on day 20 I let them all in the yard together and there was pur boy very interested and she was flirting and flagging all over the place. All the girls were joining in humping each other. Thank heaven I had a plan b and bred her on day 21, 22 and 23 and expect her to be pg. The stud dog was all over her. We tested her with the Endotech an it still showed light blue just as before. All I can say is the dogs know and watching and listening to them is the best clue, She went out of heat on Thursday 4 days from last breeding. All her other cycles are 21 days long, Until this one. So I wasn't prepared for her to cycle so late. I haven't used other tests but I am not sure how good they really are unless there is clearly a color change that can't be " is it dark or light? lets look in this light" kind of it makes them practally useless. I think it should be like pregnancy tests and have different colors to represent the changes ie: blue for below 2 pink for 5 and green for above 5. It was very hard since we live an hour in any direction to get to a vet for the testing at $63 a pop, and weekends at the wrong time. I'll not be listening to a vet again that my bitch isn't cycling right by two low tests. She obviously doesn't know a girl can ovulate at anytime. Keeping a teaser boy is a great thing, I think the tests come in real handy but certainly can't be counted on the way they are now. I lost out on the breeding I really wanted to do because she was so late, but I would be willing to bet she is in whelp. Everyone needs a back up plan they are happy with. I can't wait to take my litter of 9 pups back to the vet and watch her jaw drop. Maybe she will learn something about dogs cycles and not to count them out so early.

I just purchased this test and I'm regretting it already. I wish i would have read this thread before.
Have they got any better since the last post?

Breeder
I just purchased this test and I'm regretting it already. I wish i would have read this thread before.
Have they got any better since the last post?

I managed to cancel my order.
What in home test (that uses serum/plasma) is the most reliable?
I moved 1 1/2 hours away from the closest vet. I need something I can do at home.

Gosh, what do you do with an emergency whelp situation if you're 1 1/2 hours from any vet? That sounds very scary!

this last time we Biometallics Target Canine Ovulation Kit. Got 24 tests for $124. It was right on, they measure parts per million. The first test at the vet was 1.2 the next 2 days later 0.9. We thought things were really messed up. The test kits arrived on ( can't remember what day of the cycle) Thursday and that day it showed we needed to breed her within 2 days, so we had one run at the vet on Friday came back 9.4 and Semen arrived Sat morning. We are 99% sure we will be having pups on Dec 7-8. Had the kit not arrived we would have waited until the next week to do the vet test again and most likely would have missed her. We have tests for our next girl we are waiting on to come in. Really right on color wise and suggested what the color readings meant in terms of #'s. Great test. They wrote us to find out how we liked the product a few days after the shipment.

Re: progesterone test by Camolot

we have been using Camelot Farms premate for 10+ years.
it still is the best in home test around.

Premate is the best deal and very accurate. I also live over an hour from the vet and no, its not scary. If we have an emergency we call the vet and about the time the vet and his assistant get in and set up we are there and the timing has never been an issue. We all cant live next door to our vets.

Hi-
We have been taking our own bitches and outside bitches to our excellent vet for progesterone tests. It is about an hour or more of driving time. Available hours are only 3 evenings each week- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, so we are out of luck if a bitch could use a progesterone test on a weekend. And it is not until the next day that we get the results.So we can easily miss the right days to breed, especially if using chilled or frozen semen with it's more narrow window of time.
So, I am considering ordering the Camelot farms progesterone testing at home kit. I have seen the vet draw blood probably hundreds of times, both with my own dogs in the past few decades, and from years ago working at vet clinics for years and assisting. However, I haven't attempted to draw blood myself on my own dogs, but it seems that it can't be that hard. I give vaccinations and implant microchips.
My Question is: Is this Camelot farms kit appropriate for a breeder who has perhaps only 1 or 2 litters a year and an occasional outside bitch coming in, and no experience with drawing blood?