Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Iowa puppy mill

So we had a litter of pups on the ground and a 50ish year old man came by to look. He told us he was from Iowa and was here in our town being his wife was in the hospital. She was here being her doctor was in town for the month and she needed to keep up her treatment for terminal cancer. They lost their last dog a few years back and wanted to make his wife happy by getting her a puppy. The pup would be their only dog and live a spoiled indoor life in the house he said. When I talked about what would happen to the pup when her wife passes he said the pup would be his and he would have him as part of the family. He said in his state their are not high quality labs so this is why he wanted one of ours. He left for the day to think about it and came back the next day ready to commit. The guy, Steve Kruse, signed a contract to spay/neuter by 6 months old. The pup was sold on limited registration. I shipped the pup a couple days later.

How devistating to find out our pup went to a puppy mill that has over 1350 dogs. His wife turned out not to be terminally ill but actually owning a chain of pet stores in Chicago and Florida. He has registered this boy with the American Canine Assoc and is registering the offspring there also, breeding this boy before a year old. The ACA will give full registration to a dog on AKC limited registration. They feel that that the AKC limited registration is a contract between the breeder and the AKC, not the ACA.

I have Steve Kruse on tape admitting that he lied and naming well known breeders that he has done the same thing to.

This is a warning. If you hear the name Steve Kruse, he is a mill. I know people on this forum that he has named that he has your dogs also.

Re: Iowa puppy mill

All you had to do was put his name in your search engine and that would have told the whole story. It may be over kill but I always screen my buyers way beyond what they tell me. So sorry about your sweet puppy.

This is sad news for you. I am so sorry you have had this happen to you.

I am so sorry for your pup.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the google suggestion but this happened a couple years ago and we did search his name and at that time his name didnt come up. I wish it was that easy that that is all we would have to do.

There are articles that date back to 2006.

I think I would have to take a chance and go steal him back. Or pay someone that will.

I would go get him! Find a good lawyer and he will be back with you. Good luck!!

http://www.caps-web.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=169&Itemid=207&report_id=38

dear breeder, i´m the retired finnair stewardess with labs, flew for 34 years...and wellbeing of labs world wide is my heart thing. its hard for me to understand us/canada, you name the country as far as asia...mills, dog auctions and in 2010??? (scandinavia has no petshop puppies, a few no good breeders and no dog auctions).

dear, i would contact caps, blue kerry rescue foundation, oprah, attorney, someone will have good advice who...and with what i understand large suppoer from labrador breeders....facebook maybe...lab rescues, why not try to get the dog rescued? asap, please.

wouldn´t that be something and have a newspaper tv station involved to make it public which would also give the us people information about the mills, auctions and petshop puppy business again and again...
www.petshoppuppies.com might also know what to do as they have worked so hard to end it. i don´t know if the webpage adress is right but it can be found.
i have followed this mill business all since 1990.
i´m all for the labrador to be saved.
hugs
ritva

the long succesful rescue story of kerry blues from his mill/auction, so all is possible. and people from kerry blue rescue + caps could give important help? important contact person + attorney + money.

the long story:

The Shelbina Express
This page provides a chronological record of the largest Kerry rescue in the history of the breed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Day 1, Sat March 18, 2006
Date: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:41:46 PM US/Pacific
To: KERRYBLUES-L@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM
Subject: [KBL] The Shelbina Express

As I write this, a caravan of 3 vehicles is traveling through the last light of day across the cold Missouri landscape, heading north from the little town of Shelbina toward Iowa. Inside are 5 exhausted, but jubilant volunteers, and their precious cargo--34 Kerries, warm and snug in their crates, quiet and still, having been rescued from the auction block and saved from the puppy mills forever. The Foundation is proud to say, for the second time in 10 days (since we announced the Great Ohio Rescue of 15 Kerries), this is the largest rescue in the history of the breed. We got every single Kerry out of today's auction. No Kerry was left behind. THEY ARE ALL COMING HOME.

On the scene today was Tracey Fulmer, Rescue Coordinator for the Northeast, and Mimi Wight, Rescue Volunteer Extraordinaire from the Great Escape, who are driving one of the vans of the "Shelbina Express," loaded with Kerries--Kerries who earlier gave kisses and tail-wags to their rescuers. Another van is being driven by Connie Steckly and her husband Tony, who are providing a safe harbor for our Kerries tonight and the days that follow. The third vehicle is driven by Connie's friend and groomer, Rachel Heimburger. We send them all high fives for their enormous success today, and wish them a safe journey home to IA, where so much work awaits.

There is another vehicle on the road tonight, traveling in the opposite direction. Our experienced and intrepid bidder, John Kimzey, is going home, after producing yet another awesome victory for Kerry Foundation Rescue. To him, nothing is impossible. Despite a painful back problem and impending surgery on Monday, John was there for the entire Kerry community today. We send him our deepest gratitude tonight, and best wishes for a speedy recovery from surgery.

Today's auction was a breed sell-out by a single puppy mill, and represented his entire breeding stock of Kerries. Most the dogs are 2 years old and up, and many of the bitches are littermates, meaning the mill either held them back for breeding, or couldn't sell them to the retail channels, and thus put them to use producing litter after litter. Puppies from this seller have been found in pet stores in the past, but that market has dried up. Thanks in large part to the Foundation's pro-active newspaper counter-ad program, and the public education provided by our web site, puppy mills can no longer turn a profit on our breed. They are getting out of Kerries. The day has finally come.
Indeed, the mills are having trouble even selling Kerries at the auctions. Today, with almost no competition, we rescued dogs selling for $25 and $50 apiece--a far cry from the days when our breed sold for $1000 and up. The average price of the Kerries today was $161, less than even 10 days ago. The tide has turned,

For 2 months now, our Rescue Team faced the daunting prospect of planning a rescue of historic proportions. 34 Kerries is the highest number of Kerries ever listed in any auction. The only way to plan for a rescue this size was to plan on getting them all. To handle that many Kerries, we needed more Rescue Coordinators, and we got them. Sharon Crockett (FL), Mimi Karsh (CO), Linda Grisley (Canada), Connie Steckly (IA, and Wheatens In Need volunteer), and Rhonda Krupp (TX) joined our team to help with this Rescue. Along with our seasoned Rescue Coordinators Candi Marzano (Northwest), Eileen Andrade (CA), and Tracey Fulmer (Northeast), they did a fabulous job finding homes in advance for our new Rescue Kerries. Without those homes, and the can-do attitude of every single volunteer, we would not have attempted this.

The logistics of pulling off a Rescue this size were daunting. We needed transportation, temporary housing, a vet, gallons of shampoo, pounds of food, dozens and dozens of blankets and towels, 34 crates and 68 food bowls to ship the dogs to their new homes, supplies of all kinds, and enough volunteers to handle the workload. Connie Steckly, who has experience with large Rescues, offered her facilities and equipment, managed to get much of our supplies donated, arranged for her vet to make a "house call," rounded up volunteers, and has trouble-shooted every problem and planned for every contingency. We could not have done this without the help of her and her family.

It will take nearly a week to get every dog bathed and groomed, vetted, and transported to O'Hare, 4 hours away, for their flights to their waiting homes. Meanwhile, they need to be fed, medicated, exercised, and hugged. It is an enormous amount of work! In addition to Tracey and Mimi, and Connie and her team, we also have Sharon Crockett and Bonnie Unsworth on the way to IA from FL. They, too, have taken time off of work, traveled at their own expense, and put their lives on hold to help with this Rescue. Together, they are the Foundation's "Ground Team." Their willingness to do what is necessary, their generosity in giving so freely of their time and expertise, and their dedication to the breed are a credit to all of us in the Kerry community.

What seemed inconceivable only a few months ago has come to pass. We pulled all 34 Kerries out of today's auction, because our team did not run for cover at the magnitude of this rescue. They did not become overwhelmed, make excuses, or look the other way. They met the challenge with courage, confidence, and excellence . . . because not doing so was, itself, unthinkable. Today they made history.

Jan in Santa Ynez, CA
Kerry Blue Terrier Foundation, Rescue Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Shelbina Express Rescue in Photos

1 Tracey Fulmer inspects the eyes of one of the Kerries just purchased at the auction held at the county fairgrounds in Shelbina, MO. Holding the dog is Gary Mohr, a local volunteer who was later instrumental in helping to ship dogs out of Des Moines.

2. At the auction site, the dogs have been loaded on our borrowed Rider truck, and a happy moment of accomplishment is shared by Tracey Fulmer (left), local volunteers Rachel Heinburger and Stephanie Mohr, and our bidder John Kimzey.

3 Our auction Kerries are unloaded at Connie and Tony Stecky's "safe harbor" by an army of volunteers, including their son Bryce, after a 4-hour drive from the auction site.

4. Our Rescue Kerries were temporarily housed in a heated workshop (and an off-site kennel) during processing in Iowa. This picture gives you some idea of the number of Kerries we rescued (not all are shown), and the amount of work implicit in caring for them.

5. Dogs were triaged the day after the auction, and those in the worst condition were seen by Dr. Jonelle Hankner, DVM (left) and her vet tech.

6. Bathing and grooming was a huge job in this rescue, and we had an army of local volunteers to help, as well as our own Mimi Wight, who flew from NH and donated 5 days of her life to be there for these Kerries.

7. Foundation volunteers Bonnie Unsworth (left) and Sharon Crockett flew in from FL and spent 5 grueling days bathing and grooming dogs nonstop to ready them for their departure to homes across the country.

8. A local volunteer spends one-on-one time with one of our Rescue Kerries. Dogs were rotated on tie-outs for exercise and socialization.

9. A local volunteer takes a break from grooming and kennel duties to take a run with one of our auction kids. This puppy, like all the 34 rescued, is now free at last.

Medical Problems
These pictures of some of our Rescue Kerries reveal the horror of life in the mills. Some, like this photo of a 5-year-old female, had probably never been groomed in her life. One puppy's eyes were completely mattered shut, several dogs were missing parts of their ears, and most had ears packed solid with hair and dirt. Eye infections were rampant. At least two of the dogs had hindquarters so caked with feces, that when bathed, their colons evacuated fecal matter that had long been blocked. One 4-year-old male's eye was so severely infected, it appeared opaquely red and required a vet's inspection to determine that he still had an eye. But saddest by far was the condition of a 5-year-old female, who endured a blunt force injury to her head that left a gapping hole in her cheek and missing or broken teeth--a violent, painful head trauma for which she received no medical treatment at all. Until now.

Shelby, a 5 year old female, just after her rescue.

Shelby is the mother of many Kerries sold in pet stores.

The left eye of a 4 year old male (#135) is severely infected.

Shelby after her shave.
Note that you can see her teeth through the hole under her left eye.

Keely lost part of both ears.

Open wounds were found on some of the dogs.

Pictures from the SFO arrivals,
Tue March 21, 2006

Expectant families gathered before the dogs arrived.

Left to Right: Dean & Susanna Weinberg
Chris Jones
Christine Callaway
Gabriela Ellis (Rick’s grand-daughter), Rick Ellis
Sharon Ponsford

The kerry in the middle of it all is Darby Ellis who was there to meet his new sister.

Pictures from the Sacramento arrivals,
Tue March 22, 2006

Left to right standing - Jo Frederick, Joan Ele, Bob Yutzy.
Kneeling - Sue Coliton

Bob Yutzy encouraging a reluctant Tucker #127.

Left to right - Maggie Hall, Pam Champoux, and Sue Coliton
encouraging L'il #108 to come out.

Left to right - Maggie Hall and Sue Coliton's hands.

Left to right - Maggie Hall, Pam Champoux, and
Sue Coliton's arm again - encouraging L'il to come out of her crate.

Left to right - Maggie Hall, Pam Champoux and L'il #108.

Left to right - Joan Ele and Maggie Hall (Sue's arm again)
with Katie, formerly Big Mama #119.

Left to right - Joan Ele and Sue Coliton (all of her this time)
with Katie.

Left to right - Jo Frederick and Maggie Hall
with Katie again.

Left to right: Pam Champoux, Sue Coliton,
Jo Frederick and Maggie Hall.

Left to right - Joan Ele with Katie, Bob Yutzy with Tucker, and
Maggie Hall with L'il.

Posted March 27, 2006
Date: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:03:21 PM US/Pacific
To: KERRYBLUES-L@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM
Subject: [KBL] From Heartland to Home

Hi all.

I'm home at last from the Heartland, and like the others on our Ground Team, I bring with me indelible images of the Shelbina Express experience--images that will remain with me for a lifetime. My first look at dog #125, whose traumatic head injury was half hidden by filth and mats, and my look at #135, whose eye was but a red orb in its socket are only two images that will be forever etched in my memory. I will remember the sea of crates housing Kerries so neglected it was clear that many if not most had never been groomed before. And I will remember the sweet gentleness of these Kerries, so frightened and overwhelmed by events, the little kisses our hands received when we handled them, and the trusting look of hope in their eyes, however infected, that something new was happening to them, something better. Hopelessness is a human invention. It does not exist in our breed. Despite the savage conditions from which they'd come, these Kerries had not lost the will to live, the ability to trust and to hope, and the capacity to know happiness.

And I will remember the superhuman effort of all our volunteers--Tracey Fulmer, Mimi Wight, Sharon Crockett, Bonnie Unsworth, and our hosts, Connie & Tony Steckly, son Bryce, and an army of their friends, and friends of their friends. Although nearly 8 weeks of planning went into this, nothing could have prepared us for the amount of work required--exhausting physical labor that began at 4 am, and didn't end until well into the night. The dogs' need for medical care was immediate, and their need for food, water, exercise, and cleanup was an ongoing, nearly overwhelming responsibility we all shared. And there was the consuming fatigue of making decisions, revising plans, handling complications, and keeping things organized and on a schedule so that every dog left with medical treatment, clean, and groomed as well as possible. Emotionally, the experience was brutal--one minute you just wanted to stand there and cry, and the next minute you wanted to hug somebody with sheer joy! The Shelbina Express, originally named for the 3 vehicles that traversed the rural landscape from Shelbina, MO into Iowa after the auction, came to mean the emotional roller-coaster we rode out for an entire week. Yet we all survived, and our goal was accomplished. Today, every single Kerry of the 34 rescued is now in a home, receiving the care and attention it deserves.

In all, 34 dogs were shipped to 13 destinations--from Boston to San Francisco, from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale, from Edmonton to Newark--from 3 different airports--Chicago, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines. We scrapped the original plan of shipping all dogs out of O'Hare (on nonstop flights), simply because we didn't have the resources to send 2 drivers off each day for 10-12 hours, when so much work remained in Iowa. Instead, we noodled through a maze of airline restrictions at the local airports--some flights would take only one dog, others only two, and some none--and dealt with weather issues, cancellations, and flight delays. The low point for me came on the last day, standing alone at the ticket counter in Cedar Rapids with 5 dogs on 3 luggage carts, being told by American Airlines that they would not ship any of them due to delays in Chicago and weight restrictions in Dallas (our two connecting cities). I managed to get two other airlines to accept 4 of the 5, leaving me and little Shelby to make the drive together to Chicago, through a hail storm, rain, sleet, snow, and darkness of night! We overnighted at a hotel, and the next morning Shelby left on a nonstop flight to Hartford to the waiting arms of her loving family. My just deserts for having to ship 20 of the 34 dogs on connecting flights was having to make 2 connecting flights myself just to get home. ;-) Thus ended the execution of this Rescue.

In addition to our Ground Team, the true heroes of this Rescue are our Rescue Coordinators--especially Eileen Andrade, Candi Marzano, Tracey Fulmer, and Linda Grisley. They alone determined how many Kerries we could rescue by screening and qualifying enough homes to allow us to go into the auction with the goal of getting every single Kerry out. On the day of the auction, our RCs had 29 solid homes waiting, but they continued to review promising applications and interview applicants. I felt we had a shot at finding placements, whether temporary or permanent, for all 34. And thanks to them, no Kerry was left behind. Our RC team has worked tirelessly for over 2 months now to ensure the future well-being of every single dog rescued, and they continue to work night and day to find the forever homes we still need. The ticker tape parade belongs to them, and to all 34 families who opened their homes and hearts to our little refugees. Every hour of every day, they are tending to the needs and wants of these Kerries, and helping them adjust to the real world. No amount of praise we can heap on our Rescue Coordinators for pulling off this miracle will ever do them justice. No organization could ever have a better Rescue team than we have, and I am humbled and honored to work with each and every one of them.

Of the 34 Rescue Kerries, 12 are in their permanent homes, 12 are in foster homes, and 10 are in "foster-to-adopt" homes. This means that today, we have at least 12 dogs in need of forever homes, along with 3 remaining dogs from the Great Ohio Rescue. We will be posting write-ups and photos of these available dogs on our web site, and I will periodically post status reports on KB-L. These Rescues are not over until every Kerry is "home."

It has been pointed out on these pages that with the Shelbina Express, we rescued nearly as many dogs in a single day (34) as we did all of last year (36). We also rescued 15 Kerries in the Great Ohio Rescue earlier this month, 5 Kerries in the Christmas Miracle in December, and 14 in the Great Escape last September. During this time, other Kerries were rescued, too--10-year-old Buster who was found in a shelter, Maxx who received intensive training for dog aggression, Killian who required bladder surgery, and others. Within a half a year's time, we rescued over 70 Kerries. This is unprecedented in the history of Kerry Rescue, and for a small breed such as ours, it is extraordinary. It is an outstanding achievement by any measure, and was made possible by the courage and nerve and heart of our Rescue Team for whom every Rescue is worth attempting, and every Kerry worth saving. It was also made possible by our donors, whose past generosity gave us reason to hope that our current needs would be met.

Today, we are confronting the largest financial burden in the history of Kerry Rescue. We are facing the crushing expenses of on-site veterinary care for 34 Kerries, the overwhelming costs of air-shipping 34 Kerries to their homes, and the looming major medical expenses of surgeries yet to come, including reconstructive surgery for little Shelby whose face was torn apart in the mills. If you had looked into her dark eyes as I have done, and seen the hope there, the nobility of her breed, and the spirit and courage in her steady gaze, you would know beyond any doubt that she and the others are worthy of every penny and ounce of effort we expend. I would like to ask the Kerry Community to show its humanity, its compassion, and its support for these Kerries who had no one left but us.

To help us help them, please donate at:
http://www.kerryblues.info/FOUNDATION/DONATION.HTML

Jan in Santa Ynez, CA
Kerry Blue Terrier Foundation, Rescue Director

Posted March 18, 2007--One Year Later

Subject: [KBL] Happy Re-Birthday to the Shelbina Survivors
Date: March 18, 2007 6:13:24 PM PDT

I can hardly believe it's been a year since that amazing day when we rescued 34 Kerries in Shelbina, MO, including Olivia who unbeknown to us at the time was carrying a litter of 7 pups. Was it really possible? All those Kerries in one day?

I remember like it was yesterday, watching the Kerries being unloaded into outside pens on that bitterly cold night before the auction, standing there with Mimi listening to 34 Kerries howl -- those few raspy, debarked dogs cutting through the racket -- hoping they'd keep it up all night. I remember the elation we felt when that last Kerry male went to us and we realized we got every single Kerry out of that nightmare, when we excitedly called Jan to tell her we did it and when we carried umpteen Kerries in our arms to their awaiting crates -- the first steps on their journey out of hell. I remember Mimi trying to take pictures with her cell phone, only to be told it was illegal to photograph a dog auction in Missouri. To this day I still get goosebumps remembering that each one of those scared, shaking Kerries turned and licked my face as I carried them to the van, tears of joy and anger welling up in my eyes.

I have a living memory of that day in my Isobel, and often find myself looking at her and wondering how she survived those endless days of nothingness in the mill. She still sleeps sitting up sometimes, head hanging down, no doubt what she did in her cage propped against a corner. A lot of people have asked me how I picked her, but the truth is she picked me. Isobel was one of the more frightened Kerries we rescued -- my notes from the auction were that she was circling and shaking. Since I have a confident male Kerry and I work from home, I figured I could take one of the more emotionally needy females. In the sea of black fur balls, I had no idea which I should take home until the day before leaving, when I opened #109's crate to take her out. This scared Kerry girl reluctantly came of her crate, looked at me and wagged her tail for the very first time. I actually think she was smiling. Well, that was the sign I needed and that connection we had remains a special moment. It's a year later and Isobel is so incredibly happy now, with a tail that wags non-stop and a joy that I never would have guessed was hidden beneath when I first laid eyes on her. And she's wicked smart! She's decided it's her job to carry my glove and performs her duty with her head held high. Her head still snaps around and she comes flying at me, skidding to a sit when I call her. I love it when she settles in my arms with a long sigh and we both fall asleep on the couch after a weekend day hike. (Bailey prefers warming my feet). People who meet her are amazed she's a rescue. She still has a long way to go, but when I think back to those first days, weeks and months, those first attempts to to get her to eat out of a bowl or to go up and down stairs or her endless circling (always to the left), I realize we've come a long, long way on a journey that has only just begun.

It's been 365 days and I've been thankful each and every one of those days to the Foundation for giving these Kerries a chance to live a good life and to use their brains. It would be great to hear how each Shelbina Kerry is doing so please write and fill us in!

Happy Re-Birthday to my darling Isobel and all of the Shelbina survivors!
Tracey Fulmer w/ Bailey and Isobel
Newton, MA

OP- I have always felt if you ask enough for a pup, you avoid puppy mill people because they are only out to make money. Perhaps this is not true. I am curious, did you sell pup for over $1,000? I always thought if price is over $1,000 then Mill folks won't purchase.

Feel badly for you and your little boy. Pray somehow you can get him back

Maybe puppy millers and brokers don't pay that much for a dog, but there are puppy mill people selling labradors to private buyers for extremely high prices. $2,000, $3,000 and more.

The pup went for top pet puppy price. This mill's pet stores sell lab pups for 3000 so a small investment dont scare people like this away. They have deep pockets and a lawyer on retainer. We are working on getting the puppy back. So far he had his lawyer draft up a letter wanting almost 10,000 in return for his giving up the puppy.

He has named a couple of long time US kennels that he has lied to to get their dogs also. These kennels are probally in most everyones show pedigrees.

I am confused, first you say the dog you sold is a year, then a pup then this happened a few years ago.
I feel great saddness for any dogs that are not provided with a lot of love and attention, big mill or well known show or field breeders with 25 or more dogs. But they all have the freedon in this Country to make money off of the dogs as long as they are not breaking any laws. Sounds to me like he committed fraud when he deceived you into selling him a dog. Did you get references from his Vets and call them and past puppy buyers? There are so many ways to really check someone out and if they are ligit they will be happy to provide what you ask for.

I cant read anywhere that is says the dog was a year.

First article by the OP. " He is breeding him before he is a year, has reg. litters from him"

Why on earth would you SHIP a pet puppy to a man you don't know!

I hope you get this puppy back.

beware of Steve Kruse
So we had a litter of pups on the ground and a 50ish year old man came by to look. He told us he was from Iowa and was here in our town being his wife was in the hospital. She was here being her doctor was in town for the month and she needed to keep up her treatment for terminal cancer. They lost their last dog a few years back and wanted to make his wife happy by getting her a puppy. The pup would be their only dog and live a spoiled indoor life in the house he said. When I talked about what would happen to the pup when her wife passes he said the pup would be his and he would have him as part of the family. He said in his state their are not high quality labs so this is why he wanted one of ours. He left for the day to think about it and came back the next day ready to commit. The guy, Steve Kruse, signed a contract to spay/neuter by 6 months old. The pup was sold on limited registration. I shipped the pup a couple days later.

How devistating to find out our pup went to a puppy mill that has over 1350 dogs. His wife turned out not to be terminally ill but actually owning a chain of pet stores in Chicago and Florida. He has registered this boy with the American Canine Assoc and is registering the offspring there also, breeding this boy before a year old. The ACA will give full registration to a dog on AKC limited registration. They feel that that the AKC limited registration is a contract between the breeder and the AKC, not the ACA.

I have Steve Kruse on tape admitting that he lied and naming well known breeders that he has done the same thing to.

This is a warning. If you hear the name Steve Kruse, he is a mill. I know people on this forum that he has named that he has your dogs also.

Sounds all too familiar to those of us in the PA puppy mill area. These people will never stop. As soon as they get out of one mess, they'll set up shop again somewhere else. For some reason they consider themselves entitled to do whatever they want without regard for others. Get your puppy back no matter what it costs and tell your story far and wide.

Hi; I was just looking through some old posts. I was shocked to see that Steve Kruse was mentioned in the puppy mill emails. He bought two dogs from me four and a half years ago. I found out only recently that he operated a puppy mill. The two male pups were actually sold to the finace of Steve Kruse's Son. Her name is Rahni Myler. She said she was just finishing up her education to become a Chiropractor..... She said one of the puppies was for her and one for her Father in Law. This was only my second litter and I was ignorant of the type of people that there are out there. Rahni Myler was also a referral from another breeder and had been screened My puppy application was also passed with flying colors. I heard from Rahni Myler once, shortly after the sale and was unable to contact her after that. I figured that there was something wrong going on. I only found out that they were using my dogs for breeding when a person who had bought a puppy with my kennel name on the pedigree contacted me. They bought a chocolate male puppy, who my dog is a Grand Sire of. The puppy was unhealthy, several ongoing health issues. It makes me sick that there are people like this who intentionally set out to deceive people. BTW, Steve Kruse registered my dogs with the ACA (American Canine Association). This was how he got around the non-breeding reg. I put a blurb on my website stating that we are not in any way affiliated with Steve Kruse,his son and Michelle Kruse. I too wich I could get my boys back.

Heather

Funny you are bringing this up again. I have a potential puppy buyer who I have been corresponding with for over a month now about one of my puppies. His name is not Steve Krause and I have not met him yet. We have been in the beginning stages of corresponding and the entire time I have had mixed feelings about this guy. He comes across real nice and then the next time he says something completely off the wall. He seems to say all the right things and then he seems to have sudden mood swings. I have been back and forth about going to the next level with him in my puppy buyer process. I figured I would give him the benefit of the doubt and when I contacted him to schedule our first meeting and a puppy visit, he once again started with the mood swings. I have heard to many horror stories about selling a puppy to the wrong person and they stay in the back of my mind. Now, I have decided not to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and I have cancelled our meeting. I am not placing one of my puppies with him. IMO it is better to be safe than sorry. An old time breeder once told me that they never had regret saying no to a puppy buyer but they have regreted saying yes.

You are 100% right. I have regretted placing puppies with people that I had a bad feeling about them. I wanted to believe that people in general is good and I was just being too sensitive. All those people proved me right. Dump them!

When people come from out of state, coupled with saying there are no quality dogs in their state, that should be a red flag (or, however that saying goes). Pat Kroll (Honorbright), who has lived in Iowa for oodles of years has awesome dogs and she is an awesome person. Anyone who knows Labs knows Pat. You should e-mail Pat and get her take on him. Pat is VERY savvy.

I just bought a Weimaraner puppy from a pet store this past Sunday in the town that my boyfriend works in. She was $1500 but I put half down and am financing the rest..The next day, a co-worker of his said that we should take her back asap because the store buys from puppy mills. As soon as he told me this, I researched the breeders name, Jake Kruse. All of Steve Kruse's horrible things came up as well as Jordan Kruse. Apparently it's a whole family.The pet store obviously denies this saying, "Jake owns a construction company, he's a registered breeder. There's no horrible puppy mill and our sales are final" Very quick to hang up.. I googled the address for Jake Kruse ( 1761 110th st, Salem,IA 52649) and a investigation of Jordan Kruse came up with a video and all.

This is not just an ironic thing with the same last name. Someone correct me if I'm terribly wrong.

We are noticing certain problems with our puppy and I think she needs more intense care than I can give her but I'm also worried if I return her that they'll put her down or end up in a worse situation like being sent back to Jake/Jordan Kruse

Any advise would be extremely helpful!

Sadly, this is a very familiar story. Heard it lots of times.
You got screwed.

Samantha
I just bought a Weimaraner puppy from a pet store this past Sunday in the town that my boyfriend works in. She was $1500 but I put half down and am financing the rest..The next day, a co-worker of his said that we should take her back asap because the store buys from puppy mills. As soon as he told me this, I researched the breeders name, Jake Kruse. All of Steve Kruse's horrible things came up as well as Jordan Kruse. Apparently it's a whole family.The pet store obviously denies this saying, "Jake owns a construction company, he's a registered breeder. There's no horrible puppy mill and our sales are final" Very quick to hang up.. I googled the address for Jake Kruse ( 1761 110th st, Salem,IA 52649) and a investigation of Jordan Kruse came up with a video and all.

This is not just an ironic thing with the same last name. Someone correct me if I'm terribly wrong.

We are noticing certain problems with our puppy and I think she needs more intense care than I can give her but I'm also worried if I return her that they'll put her down or end up in a worse situation like being sent back to Jake/Jordan Kruse

Any advise would be extremely helpful!

I am so sorry your puppy is ill. Have you taken her to a vet and gotten a complete check up done? This would be a first step. If she is ill, I would think you would have recourse with the pet store. Please get her in asap though...the longer you wait the tougher it would be to build a case.

I really wish the puppy buying public would understand that no reputable breeders sell puppies to pet stores..period. Pet stores get their puppies from puppy mills...licensed kennel? Yes, they have to be licensed by the state or FDA...that does not make them reputable. For the amount you paid for your puppy, you could have bought a lovely, well bred puppy from a reputable breeder with parents who have health clearances.

Folks that impulse buy at pet stores are the reason puppy mills are in business.

One more thing before I get off of my soap box...if you have to finance a puppy, perhaps you should not purchase it. These are not cars or refrigerators we are buying/selling. They are living, breathing animals that will hopefully be with us for the next 12-15 years. What happens when it gets sick, needs its routine vet work or needs to be neutered? What about food and puppy kindergarten?

I sincerely wish you the best with your new puppy and hope you accept the responsibility with this life you have taken on.

You can get your dog back. I did when faced with a similar situation. It might take a bit of work but it's possible. Try.

You can probably do right by the puppy AND get health problems taken care of according to the law in your state. It might be a good idea to let us know the state in which you bought the puppy. I am unclear about the things wrong with your puppy. What things are you noticing? It could just be that a puppy needs a lot of care, and a Weim is a lot of dog. If you really can't take care of the pup, you could contact Weimaraner rescue in your state and ask them to take her in to their program. That would be a better outcome for the puppy and your ability to sleep at night than taking her back. Most pet stores do NOT accept returns without a vet's written statement that the pup was not fit for sale. I, too, would be worried about what would happen to the puppy if you take her back.

Go to a rescue recommended by the National breed club or one in your area.

I live in/bought her in NJ. There's always someone home with her, so she gets a lot of attention and we have been taking her out for walks and what not every two hours. We noticed Monday that she slept all day, and when she was sleeping her whole body would shake. At first I figured maybe she's dreaming. A lot of things I reacted as "she's a puppy in a new environment." But later on that day she was playing with a toy and running around then suddenly dropped to the floor and shook for 2 seconds and then just laid there. I called and make the vet appointment with a different vet that wasn't recommended by the store. The vet said theres no way to know there that she's having seizures because she's awake but to keep an eye on her and monitor her. She has an ear infection, and I questioned the bare skin on her front left leg because I noticed her biting at it. The vet said it is due to the dewclaw being removed, and she tested if it bothered her and it did. I was concerned because the puppymill run by Jake Kruse and Jordan Kruse(who died a few years ago), was investigated and there is a video of Jordan Kruse stating “The less the vet does, the more money you’re gonna’ make. We do everything ourselves. On the Rotts and Weimeis we dock their tails, we take off their dew claws.”

seizures, was Re: Iowa puppy mill

Seizures can happen with the eyes wide open, and initially can be with the dog able to respond to commands to some extent. There are other neurologic issues in all dogs. Or she may be normal, and she just hurt herself playing, maybe with a sore mouth from teething, depending on her age. Pain can cause shaking.

Record any events like that with a Flip cam or cell phone or other recorder if it has video capabilities so that your vet can see what you see. (If you have had the pup fewer than 6 months, you have a lot of recourse in NJ.) Meanwhile, do not leave a collar on the pup in the crate in case she seizes there.

A "dog law" attorney came and spoke at Lab and other clubs in the past couple years. Her name is Lisa Curry and she may be a good resource. She will advocate for what is right for the puppy and you, I think. Her first consultation may be free. I have added a clickable link below at Website. Let us know what happens.

Just because a puppy is from a puppy mill doesn't mean it cannot be a good pet for you. There is a top agility sheltie in NJ (and the world) who came from a pet store. Granted, I would MUCH rather see someone get a dog from a careful breeder or from a rescue, either of whom should provide support for the owner and the pup for life, even if all that is needed is a cheering section admiring photos as the healthy, happy puppy grows up and goes through life. I love hearing from my past pups, both rescues and those whelped here. I have also owned a couple pet store "rejects" who grew into loving Labs, although their background was less than ideal, genetically and socially. One lived a long life with me.

BTW, if the pup is destined for an agility or competition career, I would much rather see it getting titled on a PAL than on AKC papers giving credit to the so-called breeder.

Re: looking for a pup!

i was wondering if you had a male black and tan little red for sale? i live in ny?

Hi
My friend saw a Golden Doodle at a pet store in nj. The breeder is listed as Michelle kruse. I've been reading this blog and there seems to be a lot of issues with this family. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is she running a puppy mill?
Thanks for your input. Colleen

Hi -- I'm hoping you can help me connect the dots. I specifically purchased my dog from a pet store after they assured me that my dog was bred by a hobby breeder. It turns out that it was Michele Kruse. In my research, it appears as though her facility is directly across the street from Steve Kruse. Are they related? I know it's more likely than not, but I need solid proof to file a complaint against the pet store. Any and all help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

She runs a USDA-licensed facility. She probably considers it a hobby to make money off of mass producing and selling puppies. Not sure the term hobby breeder means anything. You should have asked how many litters a year they breed and if the parents have health clearances.

I haven't been on this forum for years but have to add a note of warning for anyone reading this in the future. DO NOT ever purchase a puppy from a pet store! Meet the breeder, see the facilities where puppy is raised. Ask for parents' health clearances. Ask for their vet phone number and see what their vet has to say about how they care for their puppies.

My husband suprised me with our boy Achilles about 2 years ago now, he is half American Bulldog and half English Bulldog. I was thrilled until he told me he bought him at Petland in Columbus, GA. I am definitely savy enough to know better. Well within 1 week of bringing him home, he almost died of Pneumonia, went from being happy to nearly dead overnight. We rushed him to the emergency vet, after hearing he came from Petland the vet ordered every test she could think of on him. X-Rays showed his lungs full of fluid. Bloodwork showed his white blood cell count was through the roof, his immune system as a whole was weak, and his liver and kidney function was down. The full toxicology screen showed he had been pumped full of so many meds to make him appear healthy, the vet was shocked his kidneys hadn't failed or that he didn't overdose. Needless to say after thousands in vet bills and him traveling between a nebulizer and oxygen tank he recovered. I strongarmed Petland into reimbursing me for most of the vet bills thank you god. I've been periodically looking up this asshole Steve Kruse since then. How in gods name is he still in business, with all the complaints, evidence of torture, and violations he has been cited for? Also i have found the whole family is in the business of torturing and selling animals and all of them have stacks of evidence against them. My baby also has Demodectic Mange, has had issues with separation anxiety, and has had issues with loud noises since we brought him home. He is an awesome dog, I just wish I could get all of those poor babies away from that horrible family.

Petland

I bought my chocolate lab 2years ago from Pet land and she's great. I believe a lot of these stories are fabricated from other breeders who cannot or won't sell to pet stores when they should. They make up stories to eliminate competition. I went with my heart to love 😍 my puppy. Go with your heart ♥

Petland

I bought my chocolate lab 2years ago from Pet land and she's great. I believe a lot of these stories are fabricated from other breeders who cannot or won't sell to pet stores when they should. They make up stories to eliminate competition. I went with my heart to love 😍 my puppy. Go with your heart ♥
Any thoughts?

Jake Krause

I also bought a puppy 2years ago from this breeder at Pet land. It was the best investment for me in this time in my life. She still acts like a puppy, but she is the best chocolate labrador I ever owned. Thank you Jake Kruse