Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inverted vulvas

Just to let people know if they have any concerns about IV. My girl has a IV, had two litters, 11 in each. No problems. With the first litter her vulva became less pronounced. When they are pups, just check and clean. No surgery. My girl is healthy no UTI's. People are too quick to fix, let things resolve on there own, unless you run into a problem. My pick puppy from this litter has a IV. Is it hereditary who knows for sure. I'm not worried about it, don't you.

Re: Inverted vulvas

So if you have 2 out 3 pups that have moderately inverted vulva's would you keep the female left that doesn't have it and continue breeding on the lines (I had planned on keeping her but know I'm going back & forth on my decision) as I already had one of the 'new' puppy owners back out and demand a refund on the puppy (she paid a few weeks ahead) after I told her of the problem and she checked with her vet as well as mine who only intensified her fears about reoccuring UTI's, etc. ??? BTW, the 2 girls are on antibiotics for UTI's.o

I've had pups with IV. Seems like they get better as they get older. Usually pop after their first heat cycle. I've never had UTI's. No issues with puppy buyers when I explain what it is, how to care for it and have a contract that states no spay prior to first heat (my vet backs me up on this and that helps).

Inverted vulvas are not something that would ever make me think about not keeping a puppy.

It isn't a problem when I explain it, but according to this lady who backed out on the puppy, she had 'talks' with vets, qouted "I have asked three vets in the area and they all describe this condition as an uncommon defect. One said it was hereditary and indicates a genetic weakness. All had concerns that there would be issues in the future." and passed on this beautiful puppy!
I have to call the next person and 'hope' that they don't get freaked out about it as well. I've decided to offer a discount to use toward cran caps and probiotics (and any further UTI'a), but in my 10 yrs breeding have never had a person so 'scared' by VETS of getting a perfect puppy ~ she can only see it as a major defect!!

Years ago we produced a pup with IV, it had constant UTI"S the first year. We did not know about Cran caps then. We refunded the whole amount because family was constantly in to the vet and had spent so much on antibiotics. Later produced another from a different mom, with cran caps, they never had an issue.

Each situation is different. The constant UTI's were expensive and very difficult for the first family, we never regretted refunding the total price to them.

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated

I start pups with RV on crancaps at 6 weeks of age. I send a bottle home with buyer.

I also test urine PH at home to catch infection early and if high PH than dbl up on crancaps for a week and recheck.

I explain the need for first heat cycle and send a letter with buyer to their vet stating that the pups will not be spayed prior to first heat and that this clause is in my contract, to prevent vet from pushing early spay.

I had a buyer back out once because their vet scared them. Too many vets have very little experience or knowledge of RVs.