Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ticks with frontline

Is anyone else still pulling ticks off after a Frontline application? I pulled two off the 25th of last month-thinking it was due to a new application being due shortly I re-applied on the 28th, a few days early as I was so concerned. Last night I pulled another one off-engorged and still moving-I hate putting this stuff on to begin with but this makes it seem a waste. Anyone have better luck with other products-if so please advise.
Thank you

Re: ticks with frontline

Are you using Frontline Plus, or just Frontline?

My vet said he's been hearing complaints about Frontline's ineffectiveness from clients who bought Frontline that was made in China. It's worth checking your box to see if that's the case for you as well.

I am using just frontline on this one girl as she reacts to the ingredient in the plus but, on the one I use the Plus on I've had the same issue in the past.
I called the company and we checked the box-it was not made in China...

My vet changed to Vectra 3D because they were seeing too much resistance to Frontline and Frontline Plus.

Vets asked for something better, they knew the problems were getting worse. Supposedly, every company including Frontline's manufacturer are trying to come up with the right ingredients but with no success.

My vet warned me early in 2011 that either Frontline was not going to work this year. We're no worse then normal but others I know are. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Put pressure on the manufacturer of Frontline like some vets have been for 2 years.

I live in PA and use Advantix (September had always been the last application) and never had a problem. I'm careful where we walk and I never let my dog sit under a tree. However, 2 weeks ago I found a HUGE engorged dog tick coming out of my boy's whiskers and nearly had a heart attack. I thought it was a slug from outside until I saw those little legs moving. I checked him over really good for more then applied Advantix. I've never had to use it past September but I will from now on.

are you still using frontline after the warning from your vet?
I'm in NJ and even after the snow we had I'm still taking ticks off-my dogs are in a residential neighborhood and literally after walking them down the street, on the sidewalk I can see a tick walking on their legs or neck after bringing them in. I've never seen it this bad nor, had this many bites.
Do you think the Preventic collar works better? I used it 15 years ago but my dogs neck turned pink and my husband developed a rash from it...

My vet also offered the Vectra product. Pricey, but works well. We are in an area that doesn't normally have ticks and fleas, but after a year or so ago when I had both, I went back to Frontline, now Vectra.

Vectra must be used monthly, if I recall correctly.

I am in NJ too and I do not use any of these products. My dogs are on my 2 acre suburban lot and if I see a half dozen ticks a year, that is about it. I will not poison my dogs to kill those half dozen ticks AFTER they jump on my dogs.

Jersey Girl
I am in NJ too and I do not use any of these products. My dogs are on my 2 acre suburban lot and if I see a half dozen ticks a year, that is about it. I will not poison my dogs to kill those half dozen ticks AFTER they jump on my dogs.

We have deer ticks but not where my dogs play or potty so far. I keep them away from the section of our property where deer ticks have dropped on to people. My new landscapers had a few drop on them last week as they blew and raked out the leaves.

What we do find on the dogs occasionally in their fenced area are the old-time, tan colored, dog ticks that get engorged fast. I've seen 3 this year so far. 2 were on my 9 to 10 week keeper puppy girls and 1 on a 14 year girl. The pups were not outdoors long due to heat. The Am. dog ticks were dying off fast but had already burrowed in. I assume Frontline helped kill them off after the fact. I used the tick removing cup and pulled them out easily, then cleaning the area wih peroxide for 3 days thoroughly. All appeared dead when I found them.

I do use Frontline Plus because I want as few ticks on the dogs as possible. If I didn't use it I'm sure I would see a dozen or many more. Fall is usually bad. It gets worse when the leaves are coming down which is now.

My vet showed me a brochure about a new flea collar they had just come out with. He was having a hard time getting them into the office. He stated it was going to be a bad year due to heat, humidity and the rainy spring we had. He said the components aren't strong enough to keep ticks completely off the dogs calling it a groomers dream summer and fall.

With some tick borne disease being possibly deadly at times, (like babesiosis, see link). I would rather use Frontline Plus to keep a minimum of ticks the dogs are exposed to. For all I know the Frontline might have kept a dozen off my dogs, maybe more. I never have had a problem with Frontline or Plus. We've had no reactions ever in many years. I never use it on a bitch that will be or is bred and in heat.

It's your choice not to use Frontline Jersey Girl. Do you try a holistic product instead that works? If you do, please disclose.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41973641/ns/health-infectious_diseases/t/under-the-radar-tick-diseases-spreading-across-us

With Frontline ticks have to attach to be killed.It does not repel like Advantix and Vectra.

the information on the Frontline website says that pets don't have to bite to die. It isn't absorbed into the body, it doesn't poison the pet. It is spread by the oil in the hair follicles. Both work the same way, the Vectra site says the same thing . I think that changing products for awhile is a good idea due to resistance.

frustrated
are you still using frontline after the warning from your vet?
I'm in NJ and even after the snow we had I'm still taking ticks off-my dogs are in a residential neighborhood and literally after walking them down the street, on the sidewalk I can see a tick walking on their legs or neck after bringing them in. I've never seen it this bad nor, had this many bites.
Do you think the Preventic collar works better? I used it 15 years ago but my dogs neck turned pink and my husband developed a rash from it...

Oddly enough, ticks can be worse in a neighborhood situation as they love many of the mulches that people use in their gardens.

We are alternating between Frontline and Advantix and have had good luck putting 1/2 of the tube at the base of the neck and 1/2 at the base of the tail.