Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Van Questions - Nissan & Ford Transit

Thought these vehicles would be a nice lab van, does anyone have experience with them?

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/NV/photos

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/transit-connect/2012/?sub=minivan
Ford Transit connect minivan??

Thanks for your help!

Re: Van Questions - Nissan & Ford Transit

We just purchased the Nissan NV double height for our business. We love it. I am thinking of getting one for the dog shows. They have more of a front end than the Sprinters and come in only two packages. We chose the higher end model and have rear camera assist, bluetooth etc, electric power outlet etc in back all standard. For about 31k in New England.
We are getting 19 mpg on the V6 model. Shelves come standard if you want them, as does any lettering for businesses. At the National I did see a NV from NY that looked to have built the platform or the wheel wells (which are flat by the way). I didn't get a chance to see how they had it set up, but you can easily fit 6-8 crates stacked.

Wow! Nice!

I have a Transit. It has plenty of room for crates (400 size). I could fit 6, but don't know how I would get the upper crate dogs in and out of them ;-) I can arrange 5 easily. Not much load room for extras if you do. I got the Station Wagon model and the folded up seats do take some room, so it might carry more without the back seats. My big disappointment is it only gets 22 mpg.

I'd had a transit for almost two years now. Four crates, yes,plus room for more on top, but as Oldtimer said- how do you get the dogs up there? I've carried puppies "on top", however. I get slightly better gas mileage, 24-25 MPG, probably because I did not get the extra seat. I typically have three crates in it, which gives plenty of room to tote other things. I have to deal with Wisconsin winter driving and go off-road frequently because I do field work. The Transit has done well so far.

I can carry 5 OK. I put two crates in back facing out, two facing in on top of them, one sideways on the floor facing out the sliding side door. The upper dogs can get in and out of their crates on top of the sideways crate At least I don't have to lift dogs and they don't have to get into the top crates all the way from the ground. I never have reason to carry that many unless I have to evacuate, but I have tried the configuration for emergency preparedness and it does work.

BTW, the order you load the crates DOES matter to get 5 or 6 in

I am considering the Transit van. I have 2 questions. Can you get rear air conditioning? and can you fit 4 24" crates without stacking?

No on the air. If you mean 24" wide (which is 36 long), no. That is the size of a 400 crate and only three will fit on the floor - two facing the back door and one sideways facing the side door.

Ok, thanks. I really liked the Transit but want 4 crates on the floor. I bring 4 dogs regularly and don't want to deal with getting a Labrador up top.

I can get three 30" and one 36" crate in mine. The girls ride in the 30" crates fine.

Which is why I'll think long and hard before ever giving up my full-sized van. It's not the extended version, but I can still fit 5-400-sized crates on the floor - 2 facing backwards, 3 facing the side door, and stack 3 more on top of the sideways facing crates if need be. It's been a long time since I've needed to move that many dogs, but I like having the ability to pack ALL my dogs in my van if we have to get out due to fire or flood or whatever.

I have nearly 5000 miles on my new standard height Nissan NV 2500 - replaced a 2000 Chevy Express. So far I love it. I built a platform over the wheel wells and fit seven crates easily with room for all the other travelling stuff. More front to back and side to side space than the Express. Mileage so far is in the 17 to 19 mpg range.

Peggy Stevens
I can get three 30" and one 36" crate in mine. The girls ride in the 30" crates fine.

Really?? I can't imagine an adult lab comfortable in a 30" crate. I call that a puppy crate.

I've been making long trips for over 25 years with dogs in 30 inch crates with no ill effects. They are usually lying down, asleep, until we stop, anyway. I do have some small girls right now but my girls have not always been small. The boy gets the big crate. These are the crates I use while traveling, not the ones they stay in at shows or in the house. The crates stay in the van.