Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC and stud dog owners

Would you, as a stud dog owner use your EIC carrier stud dog over an untested girl. This was a question put to me and my answer was a definite NO, but than I got to thinking, would others do so, bearing in mind the untested girl has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier. No flames, just interested in others thoughts.

Re: EIC and stud dog owners

Why does it matter what others would do? Ethics are personal and internal. They do not depend on the consensus of others. If you don't think it is the right choice for you, why care what others think? It is sort of like that typical "motherism" - if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you jump with them?

Just Me
Why does it matter what others would do? Ethics are personal and internal. They do not depend on the consensus of others. If you don't think it is the right choice for you, why care what others think? It is sort of like that typical "motherism" - if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you jump with them?

Oh I am sorry, I didn't realise I hit a nerve. I don't care what others do, but for me if we have access to all these tests, why not use them. Have you ever seen an affected dog colapse, it was question put to me by another Labrador breeder and I just wondered what others thinking was on the subject. Hope your day gets better.

I have a collapsing bitch and it's not 'not a big deal'. I have two EIC clear and one EIC carrier stud dog. For my clear dogs, I don't ask about EIC. For my carrier dog, I do. He is not at stud to untested bitches. I know many breeders do not believe the test and many say it's up to the bitch owner to decide what puppies they produce, but as the owner of 1/2 of the pedigree, I will insure my boy will not contribute to any collapsing dogs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have produced an affected bitch that collapsed before we had the test and was returned to us because her family couldn't deal with it. It was heartbreaking to see the son and father part with their girl just because mom couldn't cope.Thankfully I found the perfect home for her where she is loved for herself and she takes care of 2 small dogs, one that is blind and the other has only 3 legs. She doesn't collapse any more as they know what to watch for.
I also now have a tested "affected" bitch that has NEVER collapsed, she is over 4 years old. That test also ruled out 3 dogs that I wanted to breed to and I had to revamp my search for her breedings,I had already found a clear dog that complemented her "just in case" she came back a carrier. I didn't expect her to be "affected". I wouldn't personally take the chance breeding to an untested dog if I knew my bitch was a carrier.And knowing what I do now I wouldn't have bred her mother to her father even though I got one super litter out of it.On the plus side my girl is an Optigen A :)!!! I'll just have to wait a couple of generations to breed to those boys, good thing they all have frozen semen.

The University no longer calls them "affected". The dogs with 2 copies of the gene are now called "at risk".

My bitch is affected because she has collapsed and then she was tested. The test came back with two EIC genes. I can understand the difference is terminology though and it might make sense.

Oh I am sorry, I didn't realise I hit a nerve.
It is a small, personal nerve. You have already decided how you want to handle the responsibility for your dog's sperm. I agree with you. Those who don't will reap what they sow in the long run. What they think is of no benefit to you (or me), because we have already chosen the level of responsibility we feel is appropriate for ourselves.
if we have access to all these tests, why not use them. Have you ever seen an affected dog colapse
I do use them - all of them. Yes, I have seen a dog collapse and it is very disturbing.
Hope your day gets better.
Thanks - but it would take a lot to make this day better.

Oh My, I am really sorry to hear you are having such a bad day. I am sorry if I have upset you in any way. I really do hope if this day doesn't get any better then tomorrow will be better than today.

Thanks. Didn't mean to upset you - I think you missed that I was supporting your position and felt that what others practice is THEIR problem!

Love what Just Me said. True. I would not use a female unless tested. Just like with Optigen. We have these test to breed away from problems. I also will not use an untested stud dog.

Jane
Would you, as a stud dog owner use your EIC carrier stud dog over an untested girl. This was a question put to me and my answer was a definite NO, but than I got to thinking, would others do so, bearing in mind the untested girl has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier. No flames, just interested in others thoughts.

If someone were to use a carrier on an untested dog, it makes me wonder why they bothered to do the test in the first place. If the results are to be ignored, then just jump on the "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" bandwagon. Clearances mean nothing, as long as they make a pretty pup. In my opinion, it is no longer necessary to produce affected PRA and EIC Labradors. So, why even chance it?

My current boy is EIC tested clear....... so I do not require the bitch be clear or even tested. My boy that was tested as a carrier was bred to tested clears only...........I've produced tested / collapsing pets and it is a SAD 100% preventable issue.

no more affecteds
The University no longer calls them "affected". The dogs with 2 copies of the gene are now called "at risk".

I find that surprising as the one I got back from them last week said "Affected".

no more affecteds

I think you may be confusing the two dog genetic tests that the U of M offers.

For EIC it is clear, carrier, affected.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/eicfaq/home.html#mode

For LPN1 (Leonberger Polyneuropathy), it is clear, "at risk", affected.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/leonberger/lpn1faq/home.html

Here is a quote. "SASKATOON, SK– Researchers at the University of Saskatchewan's Western College of Veterinary Medicine and the University of Minnesota’s College of Veterinary Medicine have identified a genetic mutation in Labrador retriever dogs that is highly associated with exercise-induced collapse (EIC) syndrome."

And if you are a member of the LRC, you can find the 2010 Health Report in the 2010 Yearbook. The results for EIC - OFA shows 336 cases, 285 - normal, 10 - carrier, and 16 - at risk.

Did Univ of Sask change their term? The first quote does not say that. Did LRC change their term? The lower quote does say that.

It is not unusual for people to take it upon themselves to change science. The State of Texas does that every day.

no more affecteds
Here is a quote. "SASKATOON, SK– Researchers at the University of Saskatchewan's Western College of Veterinary Medicine and the University of Minnesota’s College of Veterinary Medicine have identified a genetic mutation in Labrador retriever dogs that is highly associated with exercise-induced collapse (EIC) syndrome."

And if you are a member of the LRC, you can find the 2010 Health Report in the 2010 Yearbook. The results for EIC - OFA shows 336 cases, 285 - normal, 10 - carrier, and 16 - at risk.

I find it hard to believe that there were so few carriers in 2010. I have half of them :)

Back to the original question.

Yes. I would allow my carrier boy to breed to an untested bitch if we are talking about EIC.

PRA is a different story for me. I would not allow an untested bitch to breed to a carrier if I had one.

EIC is so blown out of proportion it's not even funny. Heatstroke is so much scarier and more dangerous than an EIC collapse. Allergies or skin conditions are much harder for pet owners to deal with than an EIC affected dog. The test is incomplete and all of the hoopla blows my mind.

In the end, who cares what someone else is comfortable with? What are you comfortable with? If you truly believe the test, then test your bitch before asking to breed to a carrier. That simple. If you don't believe in the test, but the stud owner won't breed to your bitch without one, get the test done. That simple. If she's a carrier, go with your 2nd pick stud.

Stud Owner/Breeder
Back to the original question.

Yes. I would allow my carrier boy to breed to an untested bitch if we are talking about EIC.

PRA is a different story for me. I would not allow an untested bitch to breed to a carrier if I had one.

EIC is so blown out of proportion it's not even funny. Heatstroke is so much scarier and more dangerous than an EIC collapse. Allergies or skin conditions are much harder for pet owners to deal with than an EIC affected dog. The test is incomplete and all of the hoopla blows my mind.

In the end, who cares what someone else is comfortable with? What are you comfortable with? If you truly believe the test, then test your bitch before asking to breed to a carrier. That simple. If you don't believe in the test, but the stud owner won't breed to your bitch without one, get the test done. That simple. If she's a carrier, go with your 2nd pick stud.

Sounds like your dogs came back carriers. How can you compare heatstroke, a condition that is not hereditary, to an EIC collapse? You know what else is worse than EIC?...getting hit by a train. So what is the point?

I believe that we don't have the whole story with EIC. I will avoid if I can, but it would not absolutely keep me from using a stud dog. I would also let an untested bitch use a stud that is a carrier.

Lab Breeder
I believe that we don't have the whole story with EIC. I will avoid if I can, but it would not absolutely keep me from using a stud dog. I would also let an untested bitch use a stud that is a carrier.

Curious. Why would you do the EIC test in the first place if you don't believe in the results? Why not just breed your untested boy to any girl, tested or untested?

Here in Iceland breeders have not started to test for EIC. I am the only Labrador breeder here who have started to test for EIC. Yet breeders have been breeding Labradors here in Iceland for many many years with out any problems related to EIC. No collapsing dogs what so ever... I wonder why that is???
For me I think breeders are making a big deal of this, yes I will test my dogs just so that I know where I stand in my breeding if something comes up. But I have never heard of any problems related to EIC what so ever here in Iceland so I can understand why breeders are questioning this disease.

Hilda,
I'm curious. In Iceland, are Lab owners hunting or doing highly excitable stuff w/ their dogs? I produced one Affected that I know of ~5 yrs ago before the test (I suspect based on another incident that I have another out there as well from a different bitch/stud-- she too came up a carrier once tested but stud never has been done to my knowledge). When I contacted the stud owner about it, for his info, he was surprised to say the least and really questioned me-- defensive at first. But as I told him, hey, it takes 2 to tango and that's that. The sad thing is that the Affected girl is a retrieving machine and so it's limited her waterfowl hunting. She's collapsed at least 2x on opening day of pheasant season and at least 2x playing Chuckit at the park w/ the son. I too have a Carrier male who has been used a couple times at stud but we require the bitch be clear, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Hildur@Draumalands
Here in Iceland breeders have not started to test for EIC. I am the only Labrador breeder here who have started to test for EIC. Yet breeders have been breeding Labradors here in Iceland for many many years with out any problems related to EIC. No collapsing dogs what so ever... I wonder why that is???
For me I think breeders are making a big deal of this, yes I will test my dogs just so that I know where I stand in my breeding if something comes up. But I have never heard of any problems related to EIC what so ever here in Iceland so I can understand why breeders are questioning this disease.

You probably have had it more often than you know, or perhaps not. But EIC has been around a long time, and most vets never heard of it. It was frequently misdiagnosed as seizures or heat stroke, or multiple other things with similar symptoms. Doesn't mean it didn't exist. Just means we did not know what it was. But now we do. Maybe you do not have it in Iceland, but we do in the US and Canada. Luckily, many of us are trying to do something about it. And because we are, hopefully, it won't make it to your shores.

Why would I test if I have doubts? First of all two research colleges say EIC is caused by this. But talking to two other colleges they tell me the test is flawed. I have doubts that those two genes are the complete cause. Now why test- some people believe and want the results. So I test. If it eventually becomes proven correct, I have tested. If it is not correct then I have tried and tested someone's theory that did not work and we move on to find the real solution.

windycanyon
Hilda,
I'm curious. In Iceland, are Lab owners hunting or doing highly excitable stuff w/ their dogs? I produced one Affected that I know of ~5 yrs ago before the test (I suspect based on another incident that I have another out there as well from a different bitch/stud-- she too came up a carrier once tested but stud never has been done to my knowledge). When I contacted the stud owner about it, for his info, he was surprised to say the least and really questioned me-- defensive at first. But as I told him, hey, it takes 2 to tango and that's that. The sad thing is that the Affected girl is a retrieving machine and so it's limited her waterfowl hunting. She's collapsed at least 2x on opening day of pheasant season and at least 2x playing Chuckit at the park w/ the son. I too have a Carrier male who has been used a couple times at stud but we require the bitch be clear, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Yes of course are Labrador owners/breeders doing hunting with their dogs and it's as much work as you guy's do with your dogs.
I have talked to Labrador breeders here in Iceland that have been breeding Labradors for over 25 years and all of them said they have never experienced anything related to EIC.
Maybe it doesn't get hot enough for them to trigger the symptoms here in Iceland... but what ever it is, it is not a problem here. Like I said before, I have started to test my dogs and I have to admit I am curious to get other breeders here to test their too so we can see the percentage of Labradors in Iceland in dogs that are clear, carriers and affected.

Breeder
Hildur@Draumalands

You probably have had it more often than you know, or perhaps not. But EIC has been around a long time, and most vets never heard of it. It was frequently misdiagnosed as seizures or heat stroke, or multiple other things with similar symptoms. Doesn't mean it didn't exist. Just means we did not know what it was. But now we do. Maybe you do not have it in Iceland, but we do in the US and Canada. Luckily, many of us are trying to do something about it. And because we are, hopefully, it won't make it to your shores.

Could it be that dogs don't get the symptoms if they have it here? Dogs don't get heat stroke in Iceland... LOL so nothing here is anything related in symptoms as EIC is so we can't confuse it to heat stroke.

My paperwork is from the U of Minn from 2 weeks ago and it says Affected. So no they did not change their wording.
As far as EIC goes, the bitch that was returned to me was previously misdiagnosed by 2 different veterinarians as having seizures and heat stroke(at the SAME time!!! ) So yes it would seem that many dogs with EIC in the past and even the present are definitely misdiagnosed.

I have a book about the Master Nationals from back in the 80's and it describes a dog going down that clearly had EIC, however they chalked it up to heatstroke.It would seem even back then that it was overlooked as a disorder and thought to be something else entirely. The bitch that was returned just happened 2 years ago, so you can see that there isn't much education on this disorder in Labradors to the veterinarians. I tried to explain to the family/wife what the dog really had but she had no interest in wanting to learn to manage it,her new family did and she has never collapsed again.
As for breeding a Carrier to an untested, you could very well be surprised to find out that bitch and her puppies are Affected. Does that mean all of them will be syptomatic? Not necessarily, just like with PRA not all dogs go blind, we still don't want to produce PRA if we can avoid it.

It comes down to ethics, you either have them or you don't.Breeding a Carrier to an untested means that they apparently aren't learned or practiced by many of you and that you can't afford a measly $65 test.If you aren't going to be bound to follow what the test may show than don't bother testing at all, but be prepared to live with those actions.

Hildur@DraumalandsCould it be that dogs don't get the symptoms if they have it here? Dogs don't get heat stroke in Iceland... LOL so nothing here is anything related in symptoms as EIC is so we can't confuse it to heat stroke.[/quote

At least one of my pup's collapses occured in the spring in W. WA, when it was not much above 60F. That was when I realized the dog likely dn't have a "heat sensitivity" issue as we had formerly written it off to. When I probed the owner for more info, I found she had totally recovered w/in ~15 min. I mailed them a certificate for a free EIC test and voila... Affected. U of MN states that heat is a factor, but not necessary for a collapse to occur.

Does that mean all of them will be syptomatic? Not necessarily, just like with PRA not all dogs go blind, we still don't want to produce PRA if we can avoid it.

[/quote]

Just a quick note here, if a Labrador has PRA, if they live long enough (normal life), they WILL go blind,

windycanyon
Hildur@DraumalandsCould it be that dogs don't get the symptoms if they have it here? Dogs don't get heat stroke in Iceland... LOL so nothing here is anything related in symptoms as EIC is so we can't confuse it to heat stroke.[/quote

At least one of my pup's collapses occured in the spring in W. WA, when it was not much above 60F. That was when I realized the dog likely dn't have a "heat sensitivity" issue as we had formerly written it off to. When I probed the owner for more info, I found she had totally recovered w/in ~15 min. I mailed them a certificate for a free EIC test and voila... Affected. U of MN states that heat is a factor, but not necessary for a collapse to occur.

I wonder why we haven't heard or seen any symptoms here in Iceland related to EIC??

Eic here and there
My paperwork is from the U of Minn from 2 weeks ago and it says Affected. So no they did not change their wording.
As far as EIC goes, the bitch that was returned to me was previously misdiagnosed by 2 different veterinarians as having seizures and heat stroke(at the SAME time!!! ) So yes it would seem that many dogs with EIC in the past and even the present are definitely misdiagnosed.

I have a book about the Master Nationals from back in the 80's and it describes a dog going down that clearly had EIC, however they chalked it up to heatstroke.It would seem even back then that it was overlooked as a disorder and thought to be something else entirely. The bitch that was returned just happened 2 years ago, so you can see that there isn't much education on this disorder in Labradors to the veterinarians. I tried to explain to the family/wife what the dog really had but she had no interest in wanting to learn to manage it,her new family did and she has never collapsed again.
As for breeding a Carrier to an untested, you could very well be surprised to find out that bitch and her puppies are Affected. Does that mean all of them will be syptomatic? Not necessarily, just like with PRA not all dogs go blind, we still don't want to produce PRA if we can avoid it.

It comes down to ethics, you either have them or you don't.Breeding a Carrier to an untested means that they apparently aren't learned or practiced by many of you and that you can't afford a measly $65 test.If you aren't going to be bound to follow what the test may show than don't bother testing at all, but be prepared to live with those actions.

Yes I don't understand the breeders who don't believe in the test, yet go out and test their dogs but then choose to ignore the results that they get. I know a few years ago before EIC was even a term, a family member had a lovely girl whos misson in life was to hunt and retrieve, after hard hot work her back legs would give out, vets had no idea what the problem, certainly wasn't a seizure. I would say it was EIC, so yes it has been around for quite a number of years without us knowing what it was. At least now we can test and make choices based on that. Yes you may mate carrier to carrier and not produce any affected, but then again you just might. And I would have to say just how do some breeders sit accross the table from a puppy buyer and tell them that the puppy they have just paid for will never have a problem, while no breeder can never say that, at least if there are tests we can limit any future problems.

And there you go "have doubts"... just to add here, I have worked in research labs at 2 universities in previous years. The competition between university researchers can be incredible, and yes, to the point of one bad mouthing the other "just because".
It's better to believe in those who peer reviewed the work than to listen to those who were on the outside looking in.

I am really tired of this topic, but I can't let misinformation pass without comment. Yes, you could say that the EIC test is flawed, as the mutation for which it tests does not tell us with 100% certainty that a dog will collapse. There are other factors, quite likely genetic ones, that protect some dogs from collapse. But these factors are not always inherited along with the EIC mutation (in the dynamic 1 gene). So even if your dog is genetically affected and has never collapsed, its progeny can if a carrier parent also passes on the mutation. If you sell any puppies to performance homes, particularly to water fowlers who want to allow their dog to swim, being affected WILL influence what the dog can safely do and will prevent the owners from fulfilling their plans for the dog. The test is reliable for determining whether or not a dog carries the dynamic 1 mutation, and 99% of the dogs that collapse in a manner consistent with EIC have two copies of the mutation. The one thing that the researchers have not done is to reproduce the condition by genetically engineering animals that have had the normal gene replaced by the mutant form. There is a dynamin 1 mutation in fruit flies that causes similar effects, but it isn't the same mutation as found in dogs, only in the homologous protein. This mutation is a temperature sensitive mutation, so it is possible that the canine version is somewhat temperature sensitive, too.

I am not familiar with the pedigrees of Icelandic labradors, but the reason EIC has been such an issue in the US is because several very popular sires happened to be carriers. We are fortunate that the test came along when it did so that we are able to safely use the progeny of these sires, who otherwise deserved their popularity, in our breeding programs.

Excuse my ignorance of geography but does it get hot in Iceland?

My understanding is that ambient temperature has not been shown to be a factor in EIC collapses. But I can't imagine that heat is not a factor. I do know my affected bitch collapsed on a very hot day.

Hildur@Draumalands

Gregg, I'm sorry I meant that they may not go blind that you may necessarily notice.
My first bitch(over 20 years ago) went blind and it was noticable, with PRA by one year and we had another unrelated bitch about a decade later that was spayed so never had any furthur testing for PRA when the test came out that we didn't notice anything with her until she was acting "blonde" in her old age, she had an eye exam just to rule out anything there and as it turned out she had PRA, we just didn't find out until she was 12.

My point was, you cannot relate EIC and PRA. If a Lab has PRA, they WILL go blind. If a Lab has EIC they may or may not collapse.

My veterinary ophthalmologist has had 2 dogs who tested affected with prcd-PRA but did not go blind before they
died. There seems to be a range of
expression of prcd-PRA with some going blind very young
and some older. Even with the Optigen test for prcd-PRA individual differences occur.

Peggy Stevens
I am really tired of this topic, but I can't let misinformation pass without comment. Yes, you could say that the EIC test is flawed, as the mutation for which it tests does not tell us with 100% certainty that a dog will collapse. There are other factors, quite likely genetic ones, that protect some dogs from collapse. But these factors are not always inherited along with the EIC mutation (in the dynamic 1 gene). So even if your dog is genetically affected and has never collapsed, its progeny can if a carrier parent also passes on the mutation. If you sell any puppies to performance homes, particularly to water fowlers who want to allow their dog to swim, being affected WILL influence what the dog can safely do and will prevent the owners from fulfilling their plans for the dog. The test is reliable for determining whether or not a dog carries the dynamic 1 mutation, and 99% of the dogs that collapse in a manner consistent with EIC have two copies of the mutation. The one thing that the researchers have not done is to reproduce the condition by genetically engineering animals that have had the normal gene replaced by the mutant form. There is a dynamin 1 mutation in fruit flies that causes similar effects, but it isn't the same mutation as found in dogs, only in the homologous protein. This mutation is a temperature sensitive mutation, so it is possible that the canine version is somewhat temperature sensitive, too.

I am not familiar with the pedigrees of Icelandic labradors, but the reason EIC has been such an issue in the US is because several very popular sires happened to be carriers. We are fortunate that the test came along when it did so that we are able to safely use the progeny of these sires, who otherwise deserved their popularity, in our breeding programs.

Pedigree's of Icelandic Labradors is similar of what you have. Breeders have been importing dogs into Iceland for many many years and have both puppies and adults Labradors been imported into Iceland, from UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, USA, Poland and probably from other countries that I don't remember at this point. We have many well known Labradors in our dogs pedigree's. That's why I find it so strange why our dogs don't collapse if we have any affected dogs here.

my bitch
Excuse my ignorance of geography but does it get hot in Iceland?

My understanding is that ambient temperature has not been shown to be a factor in EIC collapses. But I can't imagine that heat is not a factor. I do know my affected bitch collapsed on a very hot day.

Hildur@Draumalands

How hot do you mean? We do get nice warm weather during summer times but nothing like you guy's get. Also in Iceland even though we have a warm weather we always have a little bit of wind blowing so that could make the difference between them overheating or not?

Breeder
Sounds like your dogs came back carriers. How can you compare heatstroke, a condition that is not hereditary, to an EIC collapse? You know what else is worse than EIC?...getting hit by a train. So what is the point?

Actually, every one of my studs came back clear except one and he is now in a pet home for other (conformation) reasons.

My point is that EIC is not the big hairy deal that everyone and their brother is making it out to be. I have been in labs long before this elusive gene was discovered and I never had dogs fall out. (except one who had a legitimate heat stroke retrieving in the summer. He was later tested clear for EIC)

The only reason my boys are tested is because so many bitch owners expect it these days and it is a very cheap test for me.

I do not test my girls and I could care less about the status of the stud (like I have done for years).

How can anyone individual say that NO dogs have ever collapsed in Iceland of EIC? How would you know this with absolute certainty? There have been many unreported, misunderstood and swept under the rug collapses here.. hard to imagine. How many Labradors are there in Iceland? Perhaps it is such a small number?

?? in the OP statement they say there is a 50/50 chance of the non-tested bitch being a carrier. ?? how can this be.. when the bitch actually has the potential to be one of 3 things.. either Clear,Carrier or Affected herself. Not sure where this 50/50 thing came from.

Can someone explain that math to me???

I'm a newbie but thought I would throw my 2 cents in... the answer to the question for me is no ~ I would not risk it. I live with an EIC affected dog and despite others opinions it is a "big deal" for us. We own/bred her mom 7 yers ago. Way before the test was out or any one knew what EIC was. Mom is a MH and all age qualified and a hunting machine (carrier not affected.) Daughter had the potential to be even better. Her drive is off the wall. She is now 7 and although we do hunt her occassionally because she LOVES it we have to keep tight control. Despite this she "wobbled" twice last time. Temperature was mid 50s. When she actually collapses it is terrible and dangerous due to the rise in body temp. Hunting aside she can not play with my kids or other dogs to any degree. She has all this energy and not many places to put it. I know other dogs with EIC who are not affected to this degree but how do you ever know???? It is scary/sad to watch and certainly a big deal in our world. It is so easy to breed around that I would never risk putting another family/dog through it.

Anon3
?? in the OP statement they say there is a 50/50 chance of the non-tested bitch being a carrier. ?? how can this be.. when the bitch actually has the potential to be one of 3 things.. either Clear,Carrier or Affected herself. Not sure where this 50/50 thing came from.

Most likely, one of the parents of the bitch is clear and one is a carrier. That way she can only be a clear or a carrier, not affected.

CaTy
I'm a newbie but thought I would throw my 2 cents in... the answer to the question for me is no ~ I would not risk it. I live with an EIC affected dog and despite others opinions it is a "big deal" for us. We own/bred her mom 7 yers ago. Way before the test was out or any one knew what EIC was. Mom is a MH and all age qualified and a hunting machine (carrier not affected.) Daughter had the potential to be even better. Her drive is off the wall. She is now 7 and although we do hunt her occassionally because she LOVES it we have to keep tight control. Despite this she "wobbled" twice last time. Temperature was mid 50s. When she actually collapses it is terrible and dangerous due to the rise in body temp. Hunting aside she can not play with my kids or other dogs to any degree. She has all this energy and not many places to put it. I know other dogs with EIC who are not affected to this degree but how do you ever know???? It is scary/sad to watch and certainly a big deal in our world. It is so easy to breed around that I would never risk putting another family/dog through it.

You have touched on something in your post that I have long thought contributed to EIC collapse. It is my firm belief that field people have a larger problem with EIC because of the temperament of their dogs. For years, the field folks have been breeding harder and harder dogs who are more and more "hot". They have been breeding away from the temperament traits that make Labs a gentleman's hunting dog.

I think there is a trigger for individuals with the gene that this test can't identify. Something in the mental make up of the dog. Perhaps adrenaline related.

Several of my dogs compete in hunt tests and many of my puppies live in hunting homes. None of them have that INSANE attitude that the field people want, but all of them are eager, stong, and solid retrievers.

I think EIC collapses have much less to do with the level of work a dog can do, but the level of excitement it can handle. If you breed the brain to be OVERLY excitable, the body can't handle the stress.

Ok... then you are saying the Bitch in question's Sire and Dam have both been tested to get this information.
??? would they not just test this girl?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anon3

She can't be affected, her father is clear.

Ok, thanks now I get it.

Anon3

50/50 meaning that she is either clear, or not. if not, she is either a carrier or affected - either way, she is a carrier of the gene. Easy.

Anon3
Ok... then you are saying the Bitch in question's Sire and Dam have both been tested to get this information.
??? would they not just test this girl?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Her father is tested as I have said her mother is untested. However, her mother is the daughter of a carrier, in fact we supect that unknown to us we mated carrier to carrier back way before we put a name to EIC we think this because the mothers mother produced an affected pup, but like I said this was way before anyone had even heard of EIC.

With a recessive genetic trait, two copies of the mutation are required for the dog to be considered "affected". This means that the general distribution is 25% clear, 25% affected and 50% carrier. Within the untested population, there is a 50% chance of any one individual being a carrier.

This would be true in Australia, where the testing outcomes have supported the 25, 50, 25 distribution. It does not appear that we have full penetration of the gene in the USA, since testing outcomes show a 60% clear, 30% carrier and 10% affected distribution in the overall testing so far. While the primary MATH supports the 50% chance for any dog to be a carrier, the population statistics would mean that the average bitch in this country has a 60% chance of being clear. If you are not confused enough, I can explain it in a more complicated way

Anon2
How can anyone individual say that NO dogs have ever collapsed in Iceland of EIC? How would you know this with absolute certainty? There have been many unreported, misunderstood and swept under the rug collapses here.. hard to imagine. How many Labradors are there in Iceland? Perhaps it is such a small number?

Well dear.... we have 1306 Labradors in Iceland... we have about 352000 people living in Iceland so IF there were any kind of EIC related symptoms in Iceland I would have heard about it ;)

There are no guarantees in life. But to sell a pup to a family and only be able to say that it might not collapse just doesn't sound right when you could say that it won't.

Gregg
My point was, you cannot relate EIC and PRA. If a Lab has PRA, they WILL go blind. If a Lab has EIC they may or may not collapse.

This is a very good reason to test. Good business. pure and simple.

Stud Owner/Breeder

The only reason my boys are tested is because so many bitch owners expect it these days and it is a very cheap test for me.

"Allergies or skin conditions are much harder for pet owners to deal with than an EIC affected dog."

Tell that to the person who came up to me out of the blue Sunday at a dog event asking what I knew about EIC because she saw I had Labradors. She has a dog who collapses just running and playing in their back yard. Her vet recommended they test the dog and it is affected. They can't even throw a tennis ball for the dog. I believe she said the dog is 3 or 4 years old. Hard to keep a young, active dog from being active for it's entire life and I wouldn't want to be the breeder who got that call which is why I now test any dogs I plan to breed. I have no problem breeding to a carrier with a clear bitch but my intact male is a carrier so I would not breed him to an untested bitch.

Stud Owner/BreederYou have touched on something in your post that I have long thought contributed to EIC collapse. It is my firm belief that field people have a larger problem with EIC because of the temperament of their dogs. For years, the field folks have been breeding harder and harder dogs who are more and more "hot". They have been breeding away from the temperament traits that make Labs a gentleman's hunting dog.

I think there is a trigger for individuals with the gene that this test can't identify. Something in the mental make up of the dog. Perhaps adrenaline related.

Several of my dogs compete in hunt tests and many of my puppies live in hunting homes. None of them have that INSANE attitude that the field people want, but all of them are eager, stong, and solid retrievers.

I think EIC collapses have much less to do with the level of work a dog can do, but the level of excitement it can handle. If you breed the brain to be OVERLY excitable, the body can't handle the stress.[/quote

That thought is all good and well, but my first carriers were sired by a very sweet mellow show dog and both were mellow w/ lots of self control. The one produced at least 1 affected (symptomatic) when bred to what I consider to be a "middle of the road" temperament lab. So maybe you can get away w/ it for one generation, but the underlying genetics will still be there.

Mathlete
With a recessive genetic trait, two copies of the mutation are required for the dog to be considered "affected". This means that the general distribution is 25% clear, 25% affected and 50% carrier. Within the untested population, there is a 50% chance of any one individual being a carrier.

No, it is not true that within the general population, there is a 50% chance of being a carrier. You are assuming a "normal distribution" of a characteristic across a whole population. We do not yet know how widely EIC has spread into the general population. Therefore, we are not able to say how likely it is that any one dog will be affected, clear, or a carrier.

my bitch
There are no guarantees in life. But to sell a pup to a family and only be able to say that it might not collapse just doesn't sound right when you could say that it won't.

You can't really say that it won't either, if they are carriers, because some carriers do collapse!

my bitch

Gregg

If you had read the whole thread instead of just "bits and pieces" you would have seen I was commenting on a statement made in the prior post, not expressing an opinion on the subject.

Kate... read the whole post. I explained applied population penetration in the second paragraph

You are confusing the proportion of clears, affected, and carriers in crosses between carriers with the proportion in the general population. As I recall, about 40% of the dogs are carriers. Sorry, going training, so no more time to explain this better right now. I'll do so later if anyone expresses interest.

I expressed what I wanted to say badly. We can make no assumptions about how EIC is distributed in the general population. We do not have enough data to support any assumption about penetrance in the population.

There are no 100% guarantees of anything. We just play the odds. The odds of a carrier collapsing are much more likely to do with something else. The odds of an affected collapsing compared to the odds of a carrier collapsing....no brainer as to what to do....do not produce affecteds.

Breeder
my bitch

You can't really say that it won't either, if they are carriers, because some carriers do collapse!

I am not confused, though this can be a confusing subject. In any individual gene pair, there is a possibility of NN, NE, EN and EE. This is a MATHEMATICAL chance for 50% to have one gene for E - or be "carriers". However, this is not true when applying population statistics. In the USA Labrador population, the observed distribution appears to be 60% clear (NN) 30% carrier (NE or EN) and 10% affected (EE). So, while it would be mathematically accurate to say that an untested dog has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier, it is not STATISTICALLY true when applied to the US Lab population. Any untested dog from an unknown background would STATISTICALLY have a 60% chance of being clear in this country.

There is a difference between simple math and applied statistics of populations. As I pointed out in the first post, in Australia the gene appears to have full penetration with their current tested statistics showing 25% clear, 50% carrier, 25% affected. Different populations will have different probabilities.