Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is there a need to worry about Elk/Moose antlers transmitting brucellosis to our dogs?

Hi All

For the last year or so, you know antlers/horns have been the big rage at all the shows and in some of the dog catalogs.

I almost bought some at the last show and then thought to myself - wait - mostly I had spent my wad -but I also had a concern - Brucellosis!

Here in Idaho about 2 years ago we had a commercial elk rancher's herd escape and mix in with the wild elk in the Teton mountian range. Some of those elk had tested positive for brucellosis.

So what do you think? My gut tells me that if the antlers are "cured" dried out and have no fresh blood or meat attached - then they should be safe.

Please share any thoughts or knowledge you may have about the subject.

TIA
Valerie

Re: Is there a need to worry about Elk/Moose antlers transmitting brucellosis to our dogs?

Well don't know about the transmission of brucellosis, but I personally don't like the antlers. I was told the dogs could not break off chunks which they were able to and they were eating them. The smell I did not like coming from the antlers. I have not bought them again.

Re: Is there a need to worry about Elk/Moose antlers transmitting brucellosis to our dogs?

I love Elk antlers and my dogs love them. I get the big ones and they are cut in half so that they can get to the good stuff.