Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: EIC round and round Far Worse Things

All of this talk about EIC is unbelievable. You'd thihk this was going to be the downfall of our breed.
There are far worse things that effect our breed, real problems that only get a fraction of the posts on this forum. Epilespy and tvd seem to generate little interest but mention EIC and the whole sky seems to be falling. i've talked to a lot of breeders about EIC and just about everyone agrees there are more important things to focus on so I now think these EIC posts are done by the same 5 novice breeders

Epilespy and tvd seem to generate little interest but mention EIC and the whole sky seems to be falling
I agree that both are serious problems - BUT they are disorders that we can not genetically select against because the mutations and modes of inheritence are still unknown. When there is a gene test for epilepsy, I'm sure a lot of people will want to discuss (and 'cuss) it as well

Well there is a solution for that. Folks, send blood to the researchers. It does little good to comment on its seriousness. What is needed is cooperation. One person who sent blood said she knew at least 25 more who could participate but did not.

http://tulgeywoodlabs.com/pages/EpilepsyResearch.html

I would love for people to talk more about TVD and epilepsy; however, many seem to prefer a veil of secrecy where those issues are concerned. The lack of discussion seems to have nothing to do with importance - there are no specific tests for those issues so what discussion does occur often involves guesswork and speculation. Since there is a gene test for EIC, breeders can safely breed around it regardless of whether people are willing to discuss it or not, so there is no need for it to ever be an issue again.

Breeder
I would love for people to talk more about TVD and epilepsy; however, many seem to prefer a veil of secrecy where those issues are concerned. The lack of discussion seems to have nothing to do with importance - there are no specific tests for those issues so what discussion does occur often involves guesswork and speculation. Since there is a gene test for EIC, breeders can safely breed around it regardless of whether people are willing to discuss it or not, so there is no need for it to ever be an issue again.

There are no tests for either however when you know a particular line or dog seems to be producing it time after time, don't breeders get a clue? Instead they linebreed on that dog or dogs because they produce beautiful puppies, all aren't healthy but that's okay?

Is winning or stud service that important where these particular lines or specific dogs production of health problems are ignored?

We're running out of healthy lines to breed to because too many have used these dogs in their breeding programs.

I hope the two diseases can be irradicated by tests sooner then later by testing. Just because EIC has a supposed, valid test doesn't make it the no. 1 health problem within the breed.

All of this talk about EIC is unbelievable. You'd thihk this was going to be the downfall of our breed.
There are far worse things that effect our breed, real problems that only get a fraction of the posts on this forum. Epilespy and tvd seem to generate little interest but mention EIC and the whole sky seems to be falling. i've talked to a lot of breeders about EIC and just about everyone agrees there are more important things to focus on so I now think these EIC posts are done by the same 5 novice breeders

You are talking apples and oranges. There are no tests for epilepsy and TVD yet. Hopefully, with the cooperation of breeders, there will be soon. But there ARE tests for EIC and PRA. So, do you think we should not be doing these tests because TVD and epilepsy are worse?? Not really sure what your point is. Go ahead and stick your head on the sand and breed affected dogs. Watch just one collapse, and I bet it will change your mind. When the day comes when we can test for TVD, will you be on here telling us there are far worse things than a canine heart that does not function properly?

MY POINT is that... since there is a half baked EIC test, where they now reworded effected as high risk as not all effected ever have a collapse...why the continued discussion,over and over again. What NEW stuff is there to really discuss about EIC. Use the test or not, breed to a clear, carrier or effected or not. Why 50 million posts about EIC? this is getting ridiculous. Use the test and if you buy into it, then breed around it.

Why not more discussion about elbow problems, tvd -
those problems are far more serious and effect the every day quality of life of our dogs.

MY POINT is that... since there is a half baked EIC test, where they now reworded effected as high risk as not all effected ever have a collapse...why the continued discussion,over and over again. What NEW stuff is there to really discuss about EIC. Use the test or not, breed to a clear, carrier or effected or not. Why 50 million posts about EIC? this is getting ridiculous. Use the test and if you buy into it, then breed around it.

Why not more discussion about elbow problems, tvd -
those problems are far more serious and effect the every day quality of life of our dogs.

I think your question has been answered in a few posts - there is little discussion on TVD or Epilepsy because people don't have enough info to discuss it and/or people would rather not risk a discussion that might reveal dogs that are being bred over and over despite their serious health issues because they win.

If you don't like the discussions on EIC, don't contribute to them and don't read them - people discuss what they want to. I always wonder why people are so hot and heavy regarding zippers, coat color shades, eye color, tail carriage, etc. when there are far more serious issues to discuss. Why do people keep breeding unproven dogs? Why is there not equal emphasis placed on work ethic and structure than there is on head coat and tail, since all of these are necessary to achieve breed type? Probably because focusing on the entire dog requires far more effort and responsibility than breeding for a very specific purpose, like winning in the show ring or a field trial. We are now an instant gratification society. Obviously people place importance in different areas to satisfy their personal interests, which is why the dogs that are being bred are all over the board in style, work ethic, health, temperament and work ethic.

While I certainly agree that there are more serious problems facing the breed today, the problem is that I can't test for the problems you stated. I can test for EIC PRA etc etc, and so I do, when there is a test for epilespy etc I will test for that as well. I am FAR from a novice breeder, but I am a breeder who wants to make sure than any pup I breed goes off to its family with as many parental tests done as possiable. If you breed an affected EIC dog, as someone said "no big deal" well I can guarentee it will be a big deal for the puppies family. yes you might mate carrier to carrier and produce no affected but then again you just might. And personally, I think the biggest problem facing the Labrador today is the wall of silence from some breeders who have problems in their kennels but contiue to breed and don't tell anyone what problems they are producing.