Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flea Shampoo on a pregnant girl in her last week vs Frontline

I've sometimes used Frontline on my pregnant girls if we are in flea season. I have always been hesitant to use Frontline on my pregnant girls even though it says on the box it is safe.

I want to get rid of any fleas on her by the time her pups are born in a week so I'm pondering if I should give her a flea bath or use Frontline.

Is there anything in Flea Shampoo that is dangerous to unborn puppies ?

Re: Flea Shampoo on a pregnant girl in her last week vs Frontline

The only thing flea shampoo will do is drown the fleas on her at the time of the bath. I would stick with the Frontline IMHO.

Remember - if you are dealing with fleas you need to treat the house - fleas live in the house and feed on the pet so unless you take care of the environment you will never be rid of the problem.

Good luck!

We've never had a problem with flea infestation in our house since we got rid of all our carpet. The problem is our property. I won't let my husband treat out property with any flea chemicals if I am planning a breeding which was the case early this fall.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and get some Frontline. does anyone know if that Pet Armor sold at Walmart is harmful to pregnant dogs ? It claims that it has the same exact ingredient in it as Frontline.

Costco sells it but I can't remember if they sell Frontline or Fronline Plus. I think the Plus coule be harmful to the puppies in utero ??

I would stick with Frontline rather than try Pet Armour on a pregnant bitch or a bitch ready for breeding. Pet Armour is not exactly like Frontline....it just happens to have Fipronil in it. Merial stands by their products if there are any problems or questions. JMO

JMHO but I would not be using a topical on her until puppies are older. I would consider using diatomaceous earth on her, as well as her bedding. There should be no adverse effects on either the pregnant girl nor the puppies.

Funny you should bring up the diatomaceous earth on our girl..I bought a huge bag of the stuff years ago and it's been sitting downstairs all this time. It is the digestable DE and I bought it with the idea if supplementing my dogs at one point. Our yard is too big to use in for flea treatment so it has sat and collected dust.
The problem I've had with using it on my dog's coats during flea season is how dusty it is. I don't want the DE dust to get down into my dog's lungs and I would be scared of the fine dust on our pregnant mom to also get into the new born's lungs and cause respiratoy issues.
I guess I might as well wait until the pups are born then put Frontline on her. It's hard to tell if the dark coated Labradors have fleas but my yellow boy doesn't have any that I can see but then again, we gave him a flea bath a month ago.

I had good luck putting raw Apple Cider Vinegar in the dog water. That, and thorough vacuuming and washing of the dog beds did the trick. I used one teaspoonful to 12 oz of water.

Do you use FrontLine with a nursing bitch?

Melody Losea
I would stick with Frontline rather than try Pet Armour on a pregnant bitch or a bitch ready for breeding. Pet Armour is not exactly like Frontline....it just happens to have Fipronil in it. Merial stands by their products if there are any problems or questions. JMO

No. I don't use Frontline or Plus while my girls' are pregnant. nursing or until her puppies are 6 to 8 weeks of age. I check her coat for a tick daily, my entire family looks and feels for anything abnormal. Then again, we always do with our Labs pregnant, nursing or totally not.

Strong flea & tick shampoos or dips do have a 2 to 10 day residual effect especially the old Mycodex that we had to get from the vet over 30 years back. I wouldn't use any no matter if it did or didn't.Not on a bitch in heat to be bred, already bred or while nursing. At 6 weeks I check her again and then apply Frontline keeping pups away for 6 to 8 hours after application.

Can't you bathe her with Dawn dish soap like we do with rescue baby puppies, Dawn kills fleas.

I wonder what is in Dawn that kills fleas ?