Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where does it come from?

My line of labs tends towards a very THIN line of white on the chest. Much of the ti e it is not noticeable, and where my current bitch has won nu,erous BOB and no judge has seen it. Never hidden

Her recent litter however, produced WAY WAY more white than I would have expected. White PATCHES on the chest, white toes, white chins and necks.

We are more performance oriented (performance and sound conformation come first). To me, white fur does not mean jack shit (because we do not do AKC conformation).

I am wondering however, where did the excessive white come from? Went form 10-20 hairs to a dollar sized patch, or a foot with the very tippys affected

Re: Where does it come from?

It's obviously in your girl's pedigree and you've now doubled up on it. Is it a linebreeding? I had a line breeding last spring that produced a puppy with a large white spot on his chest and and half a white foot. By the time he left here, the foot had grown into only the tips of two toes being white and while he still had the white on his chest, it wasn't as screaming at you.

Re: Where does it come from?

It's amazing how large a white spot will look on a 2 pound puppy. I had a spot on a black pup last litter, I swore looked like a big fat thumb print on his chest. It's barely a line now.

But I do agree, if both dogs carry the gene for throwing some white, then I think you may see more of it. I do have to laugh though because I had a litter where every pup had major bolos. When I asked the stud owner about the male having bolos himself or throwing white, you'd have thought I asked if the dog had TVD. I know my bitch has white in her pads and had a white line on her chest (now looks like 5 hairs)...and another litter with a different stud only produced the one thumb print. So I think it does take 2 to tango for this as well.