Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Passing of Jack Galvin...

It was with great sadness that I learned of Jack Galvin's passing on Sunday morning. For many of us, Hennings Mill was such an important contributor to the development of the show Labrador over the last 30 plus years.

Jack often played an important "behind-the-scenes" role in the influence that Hennings Mill has had on our wonderful breed. Jack was heavily involved in handling breedings, whelping puppies, dealing with puppy buyers, and the daily care of so many infamous contributors to the breed.

From CH. Chafern Court Star of Fabracken, CH. Scartho Frost, CH. Guideline's Mastercard and too many other influential stud dogs to possibly mention here, the footprint remains on many of our breeding programs.

Those that knew Jack, would know this about him. He was a man's man. He was a no-nonsense, old school hard-working man with the charm few possess. He was a wonderful story teller, a very loyal and protective husband, and a devoted father/grandfather who took great pride in his family.

I will personally never forget my visits to the Williamsburg cape cod house overlooking the lake. I personally owe most of my knowledge in the Labrador world to the Galvins. Having lost my grandfathers at a very early age, I always considered Jack and Dot, my surrogate grandparents when I started in this breed back in the early 90's.

I'm very happy to know that Jack came to personally know the Lord over the last several years. I offer my sympathy, my thoughts and my prayers, and my love to the family.

For those that would like to send Dot your personal thoughts:

601 Maple Trace
Cincinnati, OH 45246-4166

God Bless.

Re: Passing of Jack Galvin...

Several years ago when i purchased my foundation bitch and started to show her, i contacted the Galvins. I was going to be traveling across country and requested if i could visit with them on my return trip.
On my way back acrosss the country i called and we made arrangements to stop. I met with both Jack and Dot. They were evaluating pups that day and showed me how they made their cuts, then asked me my opinions on each pup.
What kind and gracious people they were. I kept in touch with Dot for several years after that. They imparted much information and helped me with their opinions. I will never forget their kindness and help toward such a new person.

So very sorry to hear this. I too dealt with the Galvins back in the early 2000s and they are truly gracious people. My condolences Dot.

I'm very sorry Dot.