Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pork Femur Bones

Has anyone ever given them to their dogs? I found some at Tractor Supply.

Re: Pork Femur Bones

I think they are too soft for Labradors.

yureeka
I think they are too soft for Labradors.

Darn. I don't know anyone with a small dog. Oh wait. Maybe I'll send them down to Fred!

Small terriers have had horrible results from pork femurs. Couldn't imagine giving them to a Lab. Maybe the coyote we hate on the back 40!

I'm a raw feeder and I won't give my dogs weight-bearing bones as I don't want them to break their teeth on them. Cooked would be even worse!

I fed raw for 10 years, and I agree with what you say - no weight bearing bones of any type, from chicken to wild game. Way too hard. Dental repairs, very expensive.

I give raw cow femur bones all the time - they love them!
Pork and cooked? Nope. I wouldn't.

I feed raw and my dogs get almost everything that I can identify the source. First I do not feed weight bearing bones either, I prefer Buffalo Neck Bones. Also I would suspect that the bones from Tractor Supply are from China and processed for preservation. I do not use much pork here but prefer animals who are grass fed or free range.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Bought some for a litter of 8 week olds. As 8 week olds will do, they did not finish their treat. Left one out where an older, wiser and fore resourceful dog could gain access. Had a bitch swallow a goodly sized piece. Stuck in her bowels.

A very expensive vet bill later - all is well.

DO NOT FEED THESE TO LABRADORS.

Last summer I gave all our dogs beef soup bones. One ulucky dog got an intestinal blockage from a small, sharp edged chunk that cust us $2500. Now the only bones our dogs get are Nylon bones. I won't even consider beef rib ones anymore.