Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pellets

Hi,
Wondering if any of you who are using pellets for the pee/poop area have any feedback for me on whether stove pellets are just as good? what if they eat them?

Thanks!

Re: pellets

we use the Equine Pellets and they are great, the pups will break themselves to use them at 3 weeks with little effort from us. I don't know what the stove ones look like but the pups will try to eat them at first but not many, maybe will eat 1-2 and then leave them alone. I don't see any harm done with eating them.

I would double check to make sure how the stove pellets are processed. There may be chemicals involved.....

we have used equine pine pellets for about 4 years.
Pups do wonderful and start using the box about 4 weeks along.

The equine pine pellets are 100% kiln dried pine is sterile, as well as mold and bacteria free. Kiln drying also removes the natural oils, eliminating unhealthy aromatic hydrocarbons found in unprocessed shavings. There are no contaminants, such as those in products containing hardwoods.

stove pellets do not go through this process.

It is funny, every time I buy pellets I am asked by the sales people if I am sure I have the right product. They always think I am mixing the stove pellets up with the bedding pellets and tell me that you cannot use the bedding pellets in the stoves. NO, I know what I am doing, but thanks for checking.

They are not the same and stove pellets should not be used for puppies.

Timely question. I went into my local Cenex dealer today to buy up a few bags and much to my disappointment, they only had the wood stove kind. The sales gal knows me well, went over to them, acknowledged that the bag said "not for human or animal consumption" and said the horse folks were using them. I said big difference between a horse accidentally ingesting one that may/may not have somthing added (binders?) vs a 5# puppy.... I asked if they were expecting an order of the animal ones and she said no. They got a better deal on these. To their credit, the pellets were either a fir and pine mix or all of one. Label didn't show anything else. I dunno, but decided safe was better than sorry. I bought my food and said no thanks to their pellets, I'd go check to see what the other farm store in town had . She asked me to let her know what the difference was between products.

feed stores and tractor supply usually carries them. The difference is just what the post above stated, the way they are dried removes bacteria and mold.

We started using pellets for our litters a few years ago. We buy Crown Royal Bedding at our local feed n supply store.

Since our new litter is 2.5 wks old and outgrowing the kiddy pool, I set up their bigger area today. I laid out piddle pads that leads into the kiddy pool which I will pour in the Pellets once they are up on all 4s, walking pretty good. The pellets can be a bit slippery for a 3 week old puppy. I also have some pine shavings, low dust type that I pour over the pellets just to give them some traction in the beginning.

I personally like the cedar or pine shavings for my puppies because of the texture and the poop doesn't seem to stick to their feet when mixed with shavings. I just can't stand all the dust in the house and it irritates the puppie's eyes and no doubt they are breathing the dust in to their nasal system. The bag says low dust on shavings but I still see alot of dust.