Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Buyers and Pickers

I am just a mere puppy buyer and have always been astounded at the attitude of some breeders who want to take our money and give us the puppy that THEY pick for us, regardless of color, sex, or anything else. This makes it nice and easy for them and one has to wonder at their motives. Buyers are considered an inconvenience to these people and if we dare to ask a question about anything they turn us down and consider US difficult to deal with!

I really do appreciate the breeders who work with the buying public. They know their puppies personalities best and probably do a great job in selecting the right pup for the right family. These people spend a lot of time getting to know the buyers and they interact with them and encourage many visits so that buyers, breeders and puppies can all get to know each other.

I can see where the "puppy pickers" (in the previous discussion) are coming from. It's a bit like falling in love. It may not work out, but there's nothing like that feeling which will be remembered for a lifetime.

Re: Puppy Buyers and Pickers

I have been breeding for 20+ years and try to be as fair as possible with my families, I want them to be part of the process.

I always hold first pick male and female for myself no matter what. Then I take deposits for pups that are available as far as color and sex. It is first come first serve when it comes to picking a pup.

I take litter photos from birth and every week end for families to see them grow. At 6 weeks I pretty much know what pups are I am keeping and move to the next family to pick what is available to them. Some that are close enough come for a visit, others rely on me with photos and descriptions.

9/10 they end up with the pup I would have picked for them but it really seems to make a difference in the process.

I have many families come back to me for their next pet, wouldnt want it any other way.

Being both a puppy buyer and a puppy picker (breeder) I have found that the breeder that spends 8 weeks with these pups watching them grow and interact is the best person to know what qualities each pup has and matches them accordingly. I have purchased 2 pups from different breeders as show quality pups. Never saw these pups in person till they were picked up but trusted the breeders that they came from that they were picking the right pups for the reasons I was looking for. Both pups even though they did not grow up the first 8 weeks with me within 8 hours of being with me knew that I was their "momma" and have been the best pups. The great thing about Labs is that they are willing to please and just want to be spoiled. It doesn't matter what pick they are because it is the love that you give them that makes them who they are. Getting a pup from a reputable breeder will give you a pup that not only has a greater chance of having the best health (genetically) but also the best temperament as they were born and raised in a loving home just as they continue to be for the rest of their lives. Any pup can be the "one"

Puppy buyer
I am just a mere puppy buyer and have always been astounded at the attitude of some breeders who want to take our money and give us the puppy that THEY pick for us, regardless of color, sex, or anything else. This makes it nice and easy for them and one has to wonder at their motives. Buyers are considered an inconvenience to these people and if we dare to ask a question about anything they turn us down and consider US difficult to deal with!

I really do appreciate the breeders who work with the buying public. They know their puppies personalities best and probably do a great job in selecting the right pup for the right family. These people spend a lot of time getting to know the buyers and they interact with them and encourage many visits so that buyers, breeders and puppies can all get to know each other.

I can see where the "puppy pickers" (in the previous discussion) are coming from. It's a bit like falling in love. It may not work out, but there's nothing like that feeling which will be remembered for a lifetime.

I know of no breeder who want to give you a puppy regardless of color or sex. Yes, I choose the puppy for my puppy buyers, but they get the color and sex they want, and if I don't have that for them, then they can't get one. Are you telling me you have actually come across a breeder who says to you, "You have to take the puppy I say, no matter what color, or what sex??" Because, I don't believe you.

I take a certain number of deposits for male/female and color (if there will be different colors). When the pups arrive, if I don't have the proper makeup for the deposits, I notify the buyers. They are given the option to change sex/color, or their deposit is refunded.

I do match the pups to the buyers. In my case, most of my pups go into working or competition homes. I often will not take deposits for pet homes because they typically are not prepared to provide the exercise and training/work that my pups need.

Bottom line--if I don't have the right pup for the buyer, the deposit is returned.

MWK

Are you telling me you have actually come across a breeder who says to you, "You have to take the puppy I say, no matter what color, or what sex??" Because, I don't believe you. [:-|

Frankly, yes! They don't say it quite as rudely as that, they say that they will pick the puppy that best suits ME, and that may not turn out to be a yellow female (or whatever it was that I was looking for at the time). I have run into two breeders who did this and it really put me off, even though their dogs were exceptional.

You know the actual circumstances of course, but sometimes it is the expectations of both buyer and seller that affect the outcome. I had puppy buyers who were sure they wanted a yellow female and wanted to do pet therapy with her. After watching the pups for 8 weeks, I told them I reserved a yellow female for them, but there was one black male whose personality was exceptional. Once they met him, it was apparent that this was the best fit puppy for them. Five years later, we are both grateful they came with an open mind and left with their heart dog.

I had a deposit on a show potential yellow female. I send my final payment and shipping cost to the breeder and at the last minute the breeders decided to keep my pup and only had one black female available she was going to keep. Well the breeder ended up keeping for color and sent us the black female. I was bummed at first but I just knew I got a great black puppy. Well come to find out my pup is one of the best dogs I have now. She passed all of her clearances and is now a JH and working on he CH title. The other pup isn't show quality and isn't even breed quality she didn't pass her clearances. I am saying all of this because sometime things happen for a reason. There are plenty of breeder out the I would trust 110% to pick my puppy for me.

I can not believe a breeder told you you had to take a pup of different color and sex. I would say send me back my deposit. Now there are times when at 8 weeks we might decide to keep the other color, but I always say up front, I bred this litter for me and I will keep the two I want. If the color you want is still here, with your deposit you are first on the list for that. Big big breeders seem to take more advantage of some I think. Sad.