Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
diabetic senior

my senior citizen mother has a 10 year old male Labrador that has been diagnosed with diabetes, it came on quick and was pretty severe.
The vet is telling her the cheapest place to get insulin shots is Walmart at $29 a day! She cant afford this, I dont know who could!

Please tell me there is a better way to handle this.

Re: diabetic senior

Find another vet for a second opinion.

About ten years ago I had an older bitch who developed diabetes and needed shots daily, but it wasn't cost prohibitive at all. I don't recall the amount I paid but it certainly didn't break the bank. I'd get on the phone to check the price your mom's vet gave her. I have a feeling the cost is $29 for a vial of insulin, not $29 a day. I can't remember exactly but I think a vial lasted us 3 weeks to a month.
Good luck!

Barb

I had a senior dog diagnosed with diabetes after what we thought might be a UTI. Shop around for insulin prices; we used HumulinN and could get it anywhere. It was about $30 per vial.

Take a few good, deep breaths. Then check Costco, Walmart and other pharmacies that offer lower prices & discounts. Give the dosage on the script and the amount prescribed if you call. Better yet, walk in with it if possible. The pharmacist can tell you how much it will cost monthly or every 3 months.

I highly doubt it's the daily cost. Someone might have made an error, either whoever wrote the script or the pharmacy estimate. It could also be difficult to read. If so, have the pharmacy call the vet to confirm the dosage.

Good luck, it will all work out. Insulin does not cost $30 daily no matter what the dosage is.

My 8 1/2 year old lab bitch was just diagnosed with diabetes. Her caninsulin was 32.63 for 1 month. The syringes cost almost as much (52.00 per 100). I think that is a small price to pay to keep her with me.