Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
whining in the crate

Do any of you beentheretimers have any sure-fire cures for a 12 week old who whines when in the crate?

Not my puppy, not a Lab, but a puppy I am watching for someone. Was hoping to pass on some tips as the owner is a stay at home Mom with 2 young ones. She is very patient but I'm sure a whiny puppy isn't tops on her list of fun things!!! I have just ignored him while he is in the crate but he's weighing on my nerves!!! He is well exercised during the day, doesn't need to potty, isn't alone in the room when crated but just doesn't shut up!!!!

My ears thank you in advance!!

Re: whining in the crate

What is in the crate with him? Can he push aside the bedding and lay on the bare crate pan? He may just be too hot. My dogs would whine if they couldn't lie on the cool pan.

Put a sheet over the crate so the puppy can't see and head out for 5 minutes. It will help the puppy feel like she's in her "den" and when she can't hear movement or breathing she hopefully will settle down. Keep doing that daily, adding 5 more minutes away and soon she will not be upset in her crate when you are around.

Is there any chance she misses her family and didn't do this before? She might be looking for them while you're puppy sitting.

plug in a small cd player close to the crate, turn on Lord of the Rings,on audio it puts anything to sleep. We use it with every new puppy we buy or keep for ourselves that are having separation from their friends nights. It keeps them happy and it will put you to sleep too.