Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies dumped need help

I recieved this tonight and thought I'd pass it along in case anyone can help. I don't know anything about the puppies, they may or maynot be pure bred and I'd bet they're from a mill, but no doubt they need help.
Contacts are in the email stream below. TIA

----------------------------------------------------
Please feel free to forward to anyone who you know may be interested (see message below)....lab puppies need homes ASAP. I do not have any direct connection to the shelter or the puppies so if anyone is interested they should email Katie Peters (kpeters@cboek12.org).
Brenda

Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 4:00 PM
To: Brenda Lyons
Subject: assistance with puppy placement

Brenda,
I understand that you are involved with animal rescue and puppy placement and we could use your help if possible. My sister is a sophomore at Bucknell University and volunteers at the local animal shelter in Danville, PA. Someone dropped off 19 4-week-old black Labrador puppies. Unfortunately, all of the local no-kill shelters are full and the puppies will have to be put down unless they are adopted. I realize that this is a lot to ask but if you have any connections that would help us place even 1 puppy it would be wonderful. I would be willing to make the drive out to transfer any of the puppies. Thank you for any possible assistance that you may be able to give.
Katie Peters

Re: Puppies dumped need help

I emailed to offer my help but Katie must be behind a powerful educational firewall because I could not get my email through to her. If you know of some other way to contact her, let me know because I'd like to offer my help. Thanks.

I'm in Danville. I first heard about this Saturday morning from a young man who lives up the valley, don't really know him so I cannot vouch for how reliable the info is. He said he heard 19 Labrador puppies were dumped along the road and he went to the Danville SPCA to adopt one, but all he was told was that they had been turned over to a rescue.

Someone called my house last night seeking a black female puppy who had heard about the puppies at the SPCA and this person wondered if I had any info since all she was getting was a recording at the SPCA. I don't unfortunately, the first I heard about them was Saturday morning and that they were supposedly with a rescue now.

The SPCA is not far from where I work, I'll try to drop in and see what I can find out. In my past experience, I've never found the people at their front desk very helpful. The horse people out back are, but JMO, the reception area people aren't.

The Danville SPCA became a no-kill shelter not too many years ago.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Danville SPCA does not adopt out over the holidays. If these puppies are only 4 weeks old anyway, they won't be available to homes until after the holidays in any case since it's illegal to sell/give away/transfer puppies younger than 8 weeks old in Pennsylvania.

When I search the internet for the story about these puppies, I can't find any factual news reports, just posting on forums and some say there were 9 puppies, other say 19 puppies.

If I can't get any info from the SPCA, I'll give the local newspaper a call, and see if they have any news reports about the puppies.

Oh, I felt I better clarify for anyone speculating about what kind of "dealings" I would have had with the local SPCA, it involved a record setting number of strays we had show up on our property or my mother's property next door (7 total last year), where the SPCA did not have room for the dogs if we were to drive them to the SPCA (not even a 5 lb little mixed breed). In all cases, we either 1) held the dogs for days until the dog warden could return our calls and pick the dogs up, and where they were taken to the SPCA by him 2) through our efforts, finding the owners ourselves via tags on the dogs' collars 3) my wonderful vet took the dogs in for boarding until the dog warden could pick them up 4) dropping off supplies/donations for the horses.

More info posted under separate thread:

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=889337&cmd=show