Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie Questions

Hi Everyone ~ Can someone tell me if a bait bag is allowed in the breed ring if your clothes do not have pockets? Also, do people tend to get as dressed up for a match as they do for a show? Thanks in advance!!!!!! Jen :)

Re: Newbie Questions

Yes to first question. No to second.

Thank~you!

As soon as your bag doesn't make any "snackish" sounds, it is OK. Matches are for fun. No need to dress up.

This is an entertaining subject. I hope you do not mind getting off the main question. We went to some local matches last year. I was surprised to see people dressed to the nines. Suits and ties for the guys and lovely dress clothes for the ladies. I haad seen this often over the years at local matches. I had to pinch myself. Several were dressed as well as handlers that compete in AKC groups. I watched these competetors and it was serious stuff. Their dogs were trained to stack and stand for long periods. After asking around I found they are what is called "professional match goers" (PMG). Yes, they have a title. lol They advertise on their web sites their wins at matches. To entertain myself I looked up two of the web sites and photos of their wins and ribbons were on their sites, no mention of them being non sanctioned match wins.
We all know competetion at matches can be keen. I am not belittling match wins. It is just the people with the above (PMG)title are never seen at our AKC shows and their dogs do not have any titles from AKC.
What fun! They were a delight to watch as it was so very serious to them. Their dogs were not of good quality, one of the Irish Setters was downright homely (but he won) Most certainly, they were passing out advise right and left, as they were true big shots to those with little expeerience.
Just a side of our hobby that is entertaining. They do not really hurt anyone. I still chuckle at their 'big fish in a small pond' mentality. LOL

Thanks for all the info everyone :) It will be interesting to go and see now how people are dressed etc. I'll have to keep an eye out for the professionals! It has been years since I have been to a match and back then I was only participating in obedience so this should be fun. I figured it'll be good practice for me and my puppy before she is 6 months. Just to get her out there and use to being in the ring (her mom was not too thrilled with the competitive part).

Make it ALL fun for her. She does not need to know she's competing. One mistake we often make is to get serious when we go in the ring. Your dog can sense that. It can be a lot of pressure for a young dog.

As far as your puppy is concerned, you are in the ring to play and get treats.

Have fun!

Mike

You don't need to dress up for a match, but it may be a good idea to wear the same shoes you will with showing so you get a good feel if they'll work well for you. Also, if you are a woman and want to wear a skirt with showing, you may wish to try wearing a more casual (ie. denim) one for a match.

I've seen dogs get distracted by a flapping skirt or even try to put their nose up the handler's skirt! You don't want everything to be totally different from the match to the show.

Just one suggestion. Before the day of the match, put on what you are going to wear to show in and do all the things you will be doing in the ring - running, standing, bending over, etc in front of a trusted friend. You don't want to be one of the many internet pics taken ringside of ladies in too short or ill-fitting skirts.

Thank-you for all the suggestions! No short skirts for me!!!!!! I will remember to keep it fun!!! Thanks! Happy New Year!