Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog/House sitting

I am meeting someone next week about pet sitting - He has one dog, and travels on business 2-3 days at a time - prefers that I stay at the house, but is open to the dog coming to my house. What would be a reasonable fee to charge? I am in New England....

Re: Dog/House sitting

I live in NE too. I pay $17 per visit to have the dog sitter come to my house if there is no overnight. If they stay overnight I pay $40 per night. I can't remember what I paid when my dog stayed at the sitter's house but $25 seems reasonable to me.

I am looking for a person to care for my dogs when I am away at a show and other times too.
I had a wonderful person that loved dogs and I trusted completly but she moved away.
It has been a number of years since I needed to find someone. (She had been recommended by a neighbor.)
How do others go about finding a responsible helper?
Who do you ask? How do you go about the process?
What are the questions to ask?
I lucked out with my previous helper since she was already working for friends but I cannot find anyone at the moment. Suggestions?

Call local kennels listed in your yellow pages. That should give you a good starting point. I don't think I would charge any less than them for either arrangement.

Dog Nanny
I am meeting someone next week about pet sitting - He has one dog, and travels on business 2-3 days at a time - prefers that I stay at the house, but is open to the dog coming to my house. What would be a reasonable fee to charge? I am in New England....

I normally pay $65 per day for 5 dogs with the dog sitter in my home. I dont have a young pup with housebreaking issues. All over the ages of 1.5 - 12.) If I have a 6 week old litter, I up it by $40 a day. Yes, that cost me over $100 a day but it's alot of dogs and puppies the sitter is responsible for including playing with, cleaning and the feeding of the dogs and pups.

If you're staying in his home, 1 dog or 5 dogs I would charge $50 to $65 a day. You're the house & dog sitter. I assume you might have to come home from work when you normally wouldn't to let the dog go out to potty at lunch time, get the dog out 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night before you turn in. Then another time or 2, plus feeding 2 meals a day and doing anything else needed for the home. For example, garbage days maybe be Monday & Friday. Out with the can's, back in with them.

A boarding kennel would probably cost him $35 to $45 a day, not in the dog's normal situation. If someone were to come in 3 to 4 times a day for walks and feedings it is approximately $20 a visit, that's $60 to $80 per day.

If you accept the position, be sure he leaves an extra $100 or so always, just in case of an ER vet bill and food in the refrigerator for you or the money to cover it. You're uprooting your life staying there, no reason to have to food shop in a 2nd home.

Peace of mind for a dog owner, is worth more than the financial cost. I know it does for me when out of town or on vacation.

Another place to try is your vet's office. Sometimes vet tech's house sit to make extra money. Vet tech's can make good house sitters.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input!

I do this part time. If i make 4 visits a day to a person's home then i charge $45 per day. If i have to travel over 10 miles to their home then i add an extra $5 per day to help cover gas.
Included in that fee is to walk, or to let out animals, visit with them, play, clean up any messes, give meds if anyone needs it, bring in the mail for them and make sure that all is set before i leave.

When taking on a new client, tell them your fees and you need to be paid up front. (i have been severly burned by letting new clients pay upon return). Once you trust them then you can change that policy if you want.

Make sure they leave you the vets name and number, and they have contacted the vet to let them know if there are any issues they will pay when they return. Have cell phone numbers, or email where they can be reached.

I have one client that goes away for a week every 3 months. I have their email and i take my camera and email them photos of their animals to them while they are away. I live in NE also but i don't do overnights.
Make it fun.