Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Laprascopic / Ovariectomy versus Traditional Spay

I would consult a high volume spay/neuter clinic. These clinics do thousands of spays/neuters a year. The down time is minimal, no e-collar, stitches dissolve and as a bonus, it's usually way less expensive than a regular vet.

Sorry to seem so back alley about a spaying but as a frequent rescuer in a problem area of the south, I take a huge amount of puppies/dogs to our spay/neuter clinic and, knock on wood, I have NEVER had a problem.

Good luck!!

I'm not a vet, so I'd confer with your veterinarian, but, I would think there might still be a danger of pyometra if the uterus is intact? you wouldn't have the hormones from the ovaries, but the uterine lining has some hormones too.

My girl had the laparoscopic oophorectomy and I was thrilled by how quickly she bounced back. The incision was tiny and by the next day, when the anesthesia had worn off completely, you'd never guess she'd had surgery were it not for the shaved belly. When you think about the major vessels and ligaments which need to be cut to remove the uterus, it makes a lot of sense. The risk of pyometria is negligible and no greater than a traditional spay because even in that the cervical cuff is left in place. The only down side I can come up with is the expense. It ain't cheap but truly well worth it *if* the surgeon is well experienced.

brdr
I'm not a vet, so I'd confer with your veterinarian, but, I would think there might still be a danger of pyometra if the uterus is intact? you wouldn't have the hormones from the ovaries, but the uterine lining has some hormones too.

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=81&t=

135 dog owners answered questionnaires concerning their bitches neutered years ago with either ovariectomy or ovariohysterectomy.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies both on the list and privately.

It is a tough situation as I am not sure of the experience level for Lap/spays for the surgeon and am waiting to talk to him today.

My girl did not have an uncomplicated C-Section as part of her uterus was torn and needed to be sutured and she was treated for peritonitis during the surgery itself at the time of her C-Section. I don't know if this has any bearing on if a Lap spay is appropriate for her or not based on her history. Hope to talk to them today about it.

For my young dog however who I plan to spay when she is closer to 18 months of age.. I will for sure consider it.

Recently spayed a very active (did I say VERY) 6 year old bitch after her last litter, the traditional way. No problems. I will continue to do it the traditional way. May as well remove everything in there she doesn't need.

The last bitch I spayed I had a Laprascopic Ovariectomy done and highly recommend it.

While it was $100 more than a traditional spay, recovery was only 24 - 48 hours. You did not even know she had surgery. No shaved belly, only 3 stitches.

We asked about the risk of pyro with the uterus still intact and we were told that there is no risk as the hormones are what causes it.

I think that you should do a regular spay on your girl. Her complicated c-section must have caused adhesions that can cause complications latter. Opening her up would give the surgeon a chance to check on that.
I have seen pyometra in cases where the uterus was left alone. I've also seen stump pyometra. So the risk is always there.

Breeder

I have seen pyometra in cases where the uterus was left alone. I've also seen stump pyometra. So the risk is always there.

These pyos after spays are caused by remnants of ovarian tissue that are left behind; if you have a careful and diligent surgeon, post-spay pyos can't happen.