General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Older lab farts

What about Bean-O?

Try another food with a different carbohydrate source. Pro-biotics will sometimes help.

Look at everything you feed this dog. I fed what seemed like a decent dog jerky treat to all my dogs, and only once I ran out did I realize that this was the culprit for one of my older bitch's farts. I make my own treats now and no more noxious gas.

I had an old girl who in her latter years could no longer digest kibble of any brand. I started feeding her The Honest Kitchen dog food and she did great! No more gassy or stomach girgling....It's great food.

I used to give them charcoal biscuits,but they are hard to find now.They "sweetened"things from the inside out!Now we use probiotics which seem to help.

Adding some digestive enzymes will also help. I have a JRT that tends to indulge,so she gets Digestive Enhancer to help digest all the extra that she sneaks. We've thought of keeping her in those clear plastic gerbil balls so she can't get her little paws into trouble!!!LOL!!!Just kidding really...

My old girl was on a homemade high quality low phosphourous protien diet at the end for her kidneys as well as Orijen 6 fish, I gave her Prozyme to help digest her food, it only made sense to me that as we age our digestive resources can get depleted for various reasons.

I keep a container of Digestive Enhancer from the Farmacy around all the time, never know when you'll need it.It has both probiotics and enzymes in it. It tastes good mixed with yogurt.

Oh, I thought you were talking about dogs owned by older folks.

Is there any soy in her food? Soy will encourage flatulence.

This question just arose on another list and someone responded that Fennel seed really helps......

I would suggest that switching to a better food and adding probiotics would be my first choice, then try the fennel if that doesn't work.