Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ring side drop off

Is it customary to pay if a show is cancelled b/c of a storm and a handler was going to show my dog with ringside pick up?

No contract signed....just verbal.

Re: ring side drop off

It has always been my belief to just ask as this is a "gray area". If you don't ask you might never know, ask for a rate sheet and contract if you are seriously trying to use this person. You might also ask someone who has used this handler int he past (in other breeds or labs).

Sorry to be vague.

If your dog doesn't go in that ring, you don't pay a handling fee cuz it wasn't handled ;)

breeder123
If your dog doesn't go in that ring, you don't pay a handling fee cuz it wasn't handled ;)

I disagree. If you contract with a handler, either verbal or written, you are obligated to that handler for the handling fee. Most handlers will tell you upfront about their policies should the dog not be able to be shown. I've had to back out on a handler before and do not mind paying them since they may have had another dog that could have taken the place of my dog had they known I would back out.

Handlers make their living off showing dogs. If they don't show the dogs, they still have bills to pay, assistants to pay, travel if the show was cancelled enroute to the show and dogs to care for.

In this case, I'd discuss it with your handler, but never assume you shouldn't pay a handler if the dog was not shown. JMO

Backing out is different from a storm that prevents the show from going on. I agree if I back out I owe. I was asking about something out of my control...huge thunderstorm and show cancelled. It was a cluster of 5 shows. I paid for all 5 (included the one show that was cancelled) my dog was with me..not on the truck.

I didn't go to a show one day (I had a personal issue)and my dogs stayed home with me. I never asked and my handler never said anything. I would say that if the dog doesn't go in he ring there is nothing to be charged.
Things happen and sometimes you loose control over certain situations.
I would understand a handler that might not want to do business with you anymore if you do this repeatedly.
I also work for a living and I'm not giving my money away.

If you and the handler discussed showing your dog as a ringside pick up, and you came to an agreement to have the dog shown, that is a verbal contract. If it is not the handler's fault that the dog did not get shown, you still should live up to your end of the agreement unless the handler tells you otherwise. The handler may very well say that no money is owed, if not, you have learned a valuable lesson for a relatively small price.

I guess I would question any contract, verbal or otherwise, where you are agreeing to pay to have the dog shown, but if the dog is not shown you still have to pay. You're paying to have something done, if it's not done, why would you pay?? Now if the dog is traveling with the handler, I'd absolutely pay any daily care/boarding fee and traveling fees (not the case here), but if the dog doesn't go in the ring, I wouldn't pay a handling fee. I think I'll stick with my handler who feels the same!

The handler I occasionally use, who is well known, does not charge if the dog does not go in the ring due to some unforseen circumstance. If the dog traveled to the show on the truck then I am charged for board and travel, but not the handling fee. Now if I was doing ringside pickup and did not show up and did not bother to contact the handler in advance to let them know I could not make it, then I would and should be charged.

Exhibitor
The handler I occasionally use, who is well known, does not charge if the dog does not go in the ring due to some unforseen circumstance. If the dog traveled to the show on the truck then I am charged for board and travel, but not the handling fee. Now if I was doing ringside pickup and did not show up and did not bother to contact the handler in advance to let them know I could not make it, then I would and should be charged.
I don't use handlers, but this is what I would imagine as well. Show cancelled due to no ones fault or you call ahead and say you aren't going to make the show, you shouldn't have to pay a thing. If you do a no show on the handler, then you should pony up the fee. And if you have a handler that believes differently, then I would take them off my list of professionals to work with.

It really varies on the handler. The handler I use is one of the top in the nation. If I book him to handle my dogs, and I decide not to have him show my dogs regardless after the entries closed, then I still have to pay him. He only takes one of each sex per breed so there are no conflicts. Therefore if I back out after the entries closed, he could not make up that fee by taking another dog.

Those of you who back out on handlers a few times and not paying them will be looking for a new handler soon. Word also gets around that you are a flake and other handlers won't take your dogs either.

However, in this case you should discuss it with your handler and not on some anonymous forum since we don't know what type of relationship you have with your handler or what type you want to maintain. If the handler feels they deserve the fee, either you pay it and maintain a good relationship or you go find another handler.