Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Masticatory Muscle Myositis

My 15 month old Labrador was just diagnosed with Masticatory Myositis today ( disease where the chewing muscles in the jaw lock up and they can't open their mouth), so I was wondering if anybody else in the lab world has had this happen to their canines and if so did anything other than prednisone for 6 months help. Thank you.

Re: Masticatory Muscle Myositis

I tried to email you but it was returned.

Please try
Catie.Clowser@yahoo.com

MMM is not common but it happens in certain lines of Labs supposedlly. I know about 2 cases in 25 years. The worst was a puppy by a yellow bitch that was heavliy winning in the States before she had at least 1 MMM effected pup.

I heard that the pup did okay after allot of American Dollars was spent treating her with steroids & antibiotics and she saw a physio. She was placed in a pet home for a good life after. She coulda died if she didn't get Steroids at the start.

Once they havve the disease they should never be bred b/c it would be geneticaly past down.

I hope your pup does very well with medicinal treatments and you can find a physio to help the jaws move best with exercize.

Thank you. He is doing much better.