Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
At what age do you start solid food

Hi, I always look up against starting solid food - so messy and the start of smellier stool and having to litter train the babies. Of course it's better once litter trained. I usually have started at 3 1/2 weeks, do any of you start later? Earlier? Just wondering what others do.

Re: At what age do you start solid food

Usually start kibble at 4 wks but different with each litter. Sometimes earlier and sometimes later. If mom is able to keep the puppies comfortable with her milk supply, then I wait. When the pups need more, they get more.

On avaerage @ 3.5 weeks. Big litter, mom working too hard, then 3 weeks. Small litter, mom having no problems, then 4 weeks (or even 4.5).

BRDR II
Hi, I always look up against starting solid food - so messy and the start of smellier stool and having to litter train the babies. Of course it's better once litter trained. I usually have started at 3 1/2 weeks, do any of you start later? Earlier? Just wondering what others do.

I tend to do things as natural as possible. I FEED the bitch. As much as she can consume and maintaina NORMAL stool.
That being said, I have seen my babies dip into her bowl at 4weeks of age and start crunching on her food. I let nature take its course. I have had bitches vomit their food for their babies at this time, to give them what they thought they needed, I let that happen.
Unless I have a litter in trouble, I keep my hands OUT OF THAT WHELPING BOX, she is their mother, I take care of her.
A litter not thriving, is a whole different ball game, most of mine bloom with their mothers care, and my care to her.

I start mine at 3 weeks, once a day for a couple of days and build from there. I like to take the pressure off dam's system so she is not totally depleted. If the pups are really hungry, then I hasten the transition.