Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fluid from teats

I have a bitch who has a due date that is less than a week away. However, although we did progeterone testing, etc. and all looked great for the breeding, it seems she is not pregnant. She has gained no weight, teats have not changed, no loss of fur on the belly, etc. and we were confident that, for whatever reason, she missed and we did not bother to X-ray for pups. However, yesterday I noticed that I was able to squeeze a small amount of clear fluid from her teats which I have never been able to do with any bitch before unless she was pregnant. Now I am wondering if perhaps there is a singleton although everything else tells me there is not. Anyone with any comments?

Re: Fluid from teats

I always do an x-ray, even if I don't think the bitch took. Just peace of mind.

I would definitely do an xray...sometimes ultrasound does not show everything.
I had a bitch who was not pregnant secrete fluid from her teats about 60 days from her last heat. Hormonal influence can do this, false pregnancy.
But you want to absolutely be sure it's a false pregnancy, not an actual pregnancy, so an xray would definitely tell you this.
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

another breeder
I always do an x-ray, even if I don't think the bitch took. Just peace of mind.

Discharge from teats for both singleton or false pregnancy. Have had it both ways more than once. Best to xray.

Thanks everyone. I had X-rays done and unfortunately there are no pups.