Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hypothetical question

Let's say you had 2 yellows that were equal in all aspects but one was a very light cream and the other a more common shade of yellow, do you think one would be more successful than the other in the ring? Which one? Color shouldn't have any influence on a judge's decision but does it?

Re: Hypothetical question

Somehow I doubt both girls are 100% equal in all aspects, get a couple of very experienced successful breeders to give you their opinions.
By the way, I don't feel the shade of yellow makes a bit of difference.

Ok.......how about instead you have 2 pick puppies, both equal in all aspects except one is light cream and one is a regular shade of yellow. Which would you pick?

Gregg
Somehow I doubt both girls are 100% equal in all aspects, get a couple of very experienced successful breeders to give you their opinions.
By the way, I don't feel the shade of yellow makes a bit of difference.

It's a hypothetical question because like you said both dogs couldn't be equal in all aspects but let's just say they are.

Depends on the judge, depends on the day. That question is actually impossible to answer.

If all else is equal, then it actually does come down to personal preference.

This past weekend a "newby" asked the judge (after the show) what he thought of her 11 month old, "very light" yellow bitch. He told her she was nice and just needed to grow up; the same thing I had just told her. He then said, "you'll have a hard time finishing her because she is so light.

So, under that judge(not a Lab breeder judge), the light color would have a hard time winning, but, for every judge with that opinion, I can probably find an equal number that like the lighter color.

It seems to me to be harder to get a harsh outer coat on lighter dogs, but there are many light yellows with correct coats.

Mike

The one I think I would like to live with the most. Picking a puppy based on the shade of yellow because you think one shade may do better in the ring is ridiculous and you will not get very far with that mindset.

color blind
Ok.......how about instead you have 2 pick puppies, both equal in all aspects except one is light cream and one is a regular shade of yellow. Which would you pick?
Since you can't have equal personalities, I would pick the more outgoing one. Color doesn't matter.