Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To Start Showing

I will be getting my first show quality Labrador puppy next month. I want to start showing, but do not know much. I have visited the AKC and UKC websites as well as the LRC website. I have read the standards multiple times. But there is nothing much about handling and the necessary items, how to prepare a dog for a show, etc. I didn't have much luck finding this type info here either. I did find a list of things to pack for a show, but not grooming items.

I would like to know where to find some information on beginning to compete in conformation shows: websites, books, etc. Any reference information would be appreciated.

I live in a very rural area and I believe the closest handling classes would be 3 or more hours each way for me. I don't know much about them, but this would not be do-able very often if they are just during the week. None of the more local clubs I have found seem to offer handling classes.

Re: To Start Showing

First off, the breeder you are getting your puppy from should be able to answer all these questions for you quite easily. If you live in the sticks, you'll have to be creative finding opportunities to train your puppy.

One of the best books for a newbie is Raising a Champion by A Meredith John. It explains a lot about ring procedure, gaiting patterns, how to calculate points, etc... Mine is dog-earred from reading it over and over. Make sure you properly socialize your puppy when you get him/her and take him/her everywhere with you.

Good luck!

The breeder has a show quality female (CH sire X show pointed dam), the dam of the litter, and bred to a CH male. The breeder does not participate in conformation shows, so he cannot answer these questions. He focuses on hunt tests, which I am already familiar with.

Breeder 354
One of the best books for a newbie is Raising a Champion by A Meredith John. It explains a lot about ring procedure, gaiting patterns, how to calculate points, etc... Mine is dog-earred from reading it over and over. Make sure you properly socialize your puppy when you get him/her and take him/her everywhere with you.

Good luck!

Thanks. Not my first Labrador, just my first show quality. I am currently involved with hunt tests with my other Labradors; all field bred. They must be well socialzed for this too. I do understand that this pup must tolerate more touching even in odd places and a judge looking at his teeth. So that is something new I will have to work on with this pup.

The breeder has a show quality female (CH sire X show pointed dam), the dam of the litter, and bred to a CH male. The breeder does not participate in conformation shows, so he cannot answer these questions. He focuses on hunt tests, which I am already familiar with.

Not meaning to be rude, but was the litter evaluated by someone qualified to select a show prospect out of the litter? Just because the dad is a champion and the mom's dad is a champion does not mean every puppy in the litter is a good show prospect (I personally hate the term "show quality").

Not meaning to be rude, but was the litter evaluated by someone qualified to select a show prospect out of the litter? Just because the dad is a champion and the mom's dad is a champion does not mean every puppy in the litter is a good show prospect (I personally hate the term "show quality").[/quote]

No. I do not know anyone to do this for me. I do understand that not every puppy is a show prospect. I picked the litter, which is most important to me. I like the rest of the package this breeding offers, which is field ability to go with the looks. If he doesn't achieve a conformation title, he still has lots of other good potential.

Any other suggestions for exhibiting information?

Good luck with your new puppy.
AKC has a program that introduces new people to shows. Honestly, I have not attended one but have seen them listed in show prem lists.Do you have dog shows near you? Or know who the show superintendent is for your area? I would contact the show sup. and ask to get on the prem mailing list so you will know what shows are near you. Try to attend and watch. Do you have anyone who shows Labradors near you? Maybe you could ask them for pointers in showing. I do not have my books nearby to give you titles and authors, but there are some very good books on dog showing out there. I would buy several and read them. There may be some conflicting information in them, but we all know there is not only one way to do things. Socialization is very important as you know and also have fun!!!
Julia

Check local listings for the televised synopsis of groups and Best in Show from the Euk. National Championship show. According to akc.org, it will televised this coming Saturday at 2 pm EST. Also click around on the AKC site for videos of Bred by Exhibitor (BBE) groups from the show.
Consider a handling seminar when your pup is older, or audit one without the pup.

Meanwhile, also watch Westminster Kennel Club's groups televised in a couple weeks, and watch streaming video of the Labradors. See all the different handlers. They may still have last year's Labrador video online. Good luck and have fun!

Good luck with your new puppy!

Google your local all breed clubs. They often offer handling classes. Usually offered once a week and separated beginners from experienced. If you post area/state I can help you with that.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/357408/catid/68/vname/DVD__The_SHOW_DOG_a_Complete_Handling_Guide_by_Jeffrey_L_Brucker

How about going to the LRC site and find the labrador club closest to your region and contacting them for some assistance?

Although the club location might be far away from you, there are probably members within your area. You might contact the secretary and ask if he/she can point you to a member who is relatively close to you. Use e-mail to connect and explain your situation.

I hope that you can find someone to help you learn the ropes. It might be a stretch, but you can also e-mail the owner of the stud of your puppy and ask as humbly as possible if he/she can offer you some advice. You might get lucky and get some direction or maybe even an offer to look at your puppy's pics and offer some opinions.

No flames from the peanut gallery, please. Fresh faces in the ring are the future of our sport. Let's give this newbie a chance.

HONESTLY, and this is not meant to be mean, and also this is coming from someone still new as well. If the breeder does not show and only does hunt tests, just breeding a CH sired bitch to a CH will not give you a show quality puppy. The pup COULD be absolutely nice, but if no one has experience in showing, you might be picking the wrong pup for your next dog experience. I would personally call this a pup that has show potential, but you don't actually have anyone qualifies to judge if the pup is "quality" and then even if you did, all of us are only dealing with picking what appears to be the best with the most potential. If you are fine trying the sport of showing this dog, but will just equally fine if the dog washed out and are happy to turn back to hunting or maybe Obedience or Rally, you can probably have a nice time with this dog. But if your ONLY expectation is to have a champion, you aren't setting yourself up for success with a dog from a proven show breeder. Don't get me wrong, most of us start out with the best we can get (which is typically 5-6th pick from a NICE show litter) and still have fun and learn, but keep your expectations in check so that you don't get disappointed.

Hopefully you have an area lab club not far. Attend some meetings and ask who is showing and if you could meet them at a show- explain you are new. I can only speak for our area, Ohio. For the most part everyone is friendly and helpful. If you run into a jerk or two move on because everyone has a few and find a few nice people.

Thanks all for the replies. I am located in South-east Alabama, on the GA line. 1 hour from Columbus, GA; 1 1/2 hours from Dothan, AL; 1 hour 15 minutes from Montgomery. There are some all breed clubs in those cities. It's just hard to run there on a weekday after work very often. I know really only one person who shows Labs and she lives 4 hours away and has just recently started herself. So I have no mentor. I will look into asking some of the nearby clubs if there is someone closer to me that might be willing to teach me a bit.

And I plan to compete with this dog in hunt tests, so if showing does not work out, I am sure I will still be happy with him. My dogs are my companions, so I will love him no matter his flaws. But I am hoping to compete in conformation with him. Hopefully I will meet someone soon who would be willing give me an evaluation of him.

a mentor does not have to live close to you to have a positive (or negative) effect on you.
do yourself a favor, meet some breeders online look up websites, FB friend people, get educated before you jump into a puppy. you don't even know what makes a puppy show quality and neither does this breeder it seems.
showing is too competitive to go into a purchase blindly. especially on a male, because they have to be darn near perfect.
if you are NOT serious about showing, go ahead but realize you have very little chance of getting a show quality pup this way.
if you really want to try your hand at it, then get some knowledge first. puppy later.

Just as a bit of an FYI - a mentor doesn't have to be someone with your chosen breed.

Although it is nice to have one that does, there is much to be learned about showing yes, but genetics, understanding how structure and function fit together, how to pick out breed type, etc etc.... All the background knowledge that goes in to these great dogs has to come from somewhere.

Is there a good breeder of any breed near by that you could introduce yourself to?

There is nothing wrong with going with another newbie to learn. That's how we started. For most it is highly unlikely that your first "show dog" will be the one. But it certainly will win your heart in a new venue. You will catch on and meet people along the way. There are many great and nice people down in your area. Our first trip making the southern tour resulted in many new friends. Our 1st CH didn't come till 6 years after our first puppy match and the boy was from our 3rd litter. Take each step, its a great journey from placing, to blue, to winners, to BOB, to CH to GCH- even if you don't get there you will be richer for it and make many new friends along the way. Good luck

Newbie,
I am a member of the Greater Atlanta LRC. I know that Atlanta is not close, but we do have members in Ala. If you will contact me privately, I will be happy to try to get you connected to some of them.
Julia