Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Public Education (Clearances)

I am looking for a link to direct people to to educate people on the importance of clearances and a list of the clearances done for Labradors. Photos of what normal and bad hip joint X ray would be great also.

Another would be coat colour. Ideas?

Can anyone share links?

Thank you for any assistance,

Michelle

Re: Public Education (Clearances)
Re: Public Education (Clearances) - Attn Woodhaven

I checked several references that you directed us to and found many of them to be very informative. However, I'm wondering if the 2004 Update on TVD might need to be reviewed: It states that:

"Drs. Wright-Huff and Benson have made tremendous strides in their work on TVD. Most importantly, they have determined that TVD is inherited as an autosomal recessive disease with reduced penetrance. This means that only one parent need be affected (sire or dam) to produce affected offspring, "

First, I was under the impression that the research was suggesting an autosomal dominant transmission (with inocmplete penetrance). Regardless, autosomal recessive, no matter what the penetrance, always requires a gene from both parents.

Not exactly sure who wrote this update, but I am calling it to your attention since it is on your website

TIA

Autosomal dominant with incomplete penetrance = it only takes one parent to contribute the gene.
"recessive " would require the gene to be contributed from both parents for TVD to be expressed in an offspring.

that's exactly what I was saying - reread my post: the update refers to autosomal recessive as needing only one parent...

(reread the part in quotes)

I was agreeing with you, med junkie.